HQPlayer Desktop thread

I’m newbie to the PC environment, I just found that on the BIOS configuration you can increase the fan speed and also how is triggered on temperature scale!

It’s now changed from silent to performance and my numbers dropped from 71c to 65c on 75% processing capacities.

This ensures that is possible to upgrade to i713th or i9 13th while keeping same Noctuna NH-L9i fan.
@dabassgoesboomboom @ffk

3 Likes

You will be able to upgrade to faster CPU with same fan, no problem.

The unknown is what will be the resulting performance limitations but hard to predict unless someone else has done same thing with same hardware

1 Like

Just a heads up…

Just make sure the current bios version will accept/recognize the 13th gen chips.

Even though the 12th and 13th gen chips share the same socket, some boards require a bios update to recognize the 13th gen chips.

Best NOT to update the bios unless it is absolutely necessary.

Not trying to be a scare, just making a very much overlooked step in builds… Always check manufacturer page for memory, ssd, nvme etc… for compatibility to prevent possible problems later that could’ve been avoided.

Kind of like reminding ppl to make a backup before futzing with a build. First rule of thumb and first rule that is always pushed off because it’s a hassle. :joy: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

Many thanks for shoutout! :pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

I’ll will actually go to a shop where I got the computer so they install and test it. They say it will support it with a Noctuna fan.

After installation I’m thinking of bringing my ifi Neo to the shop and test it there. Just use Qobuz on HQplayer with 512 DSD and sinc-m and Sinc-l + ECv2. If that runs smoothly, then DSD 1024 for less demanding filters should work I think :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m sorry to spoil your joy, but there’s no way you can get any of them to work… I have an i7-13700K, 64gb ddr5, a water cooler with 11 fans and an rtx 4080. sinc-L won’t even start, sinc-M(x) works but there’s no hope without a decent graphics card. The purpose was not to spoil your day, but to share my observations :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Here is sinc-M and v2, which I think is the lightest of them.

2 Likes

Much appreciated feedback! Quite happy in anyway with my setup, not having really BIG experience as I’ve seen many CPU configurations a lot more powerful than mine, I’m actually aiming for:

ECv2 Modulator family

• poly-sic family
    DSD1024

My current setup can do:

DSD1024x48
Modulator: ASDM7 512+fs
Can support:
ps-ext2 <-edit
ps-gauss-high-res family

The rest will be awesome!

At least DSD512 Sinc-M stable ( has dropped performance after update 4.22 :disappointed:)

Is this to dsd1024?

I probably asked before, but have you tried Ubuntu?

Windows and I know it would work on Ubuntu as @jussi_laako has said many times. But because I have to keep Windows because of work, and at least for now I only want to use one computer, I haven’t moved. And that is dsd512 and everything I use works perfectly…

1 Like

I got sinc-L started for DSD1024 on Linux, on CPU, without GPU since I don’t have enough GPU RAM. Performance isn’t great, but it works. IIRC, took about 50 GB of RAM. I have 64 GB on my Xeon W2245, which could take up to 1 TB, so compared to it’s limits I have very little.

2 Likes

My Unbuntu Desktop update review
HQplayer 4.22

AsRock desktop mini B660
CPU: i71300
RAM: 64 Gb
FAN: Noctuna LH-L9i*

*Bios setting fan to: Performance
BIOS needed update

Chip gets less hot than i71200
Average below 60C

DSD 256 x48
All filters and shapers

DSD 512x 48
All ECv2 Shapers

Demanding Filters
Sinc-M (some random drops on 192k files ) <-edit
Poly-sinc-ext3
Sinc-L (unstable )

DSD 1024 x 48
Can’t do any EC shaper’s still droppings
Others non EC ok :white_check_mark:

Demanding Filters
Poly-sinc-ext3 (very random millisecond pause)

The desktop mini is:

:white_check_mark: Compact
:white_check_mark: Quiet (using Noctuna fan)
:white_check_mark: Easy to update
:white_check_mark: Can have it next to your hifi system

Many thanks for advice
@jussi_laako @ffk @dabassgoesboomboom @erekola

4 Likes

I am looking into this solution as well. Which i71300 variant did you put in? the straight I7-13700 chip (65W) or the 13700k (unlikely with that box!), or the 13700f (not possible without graphics card?), or 13700t (mobile =35W low TDP)?

1 Like

Hi! Straight i71300 only.

Memory 32 GB should be enough.

Have fun!

2 Likes

Is this even after 30 minutes, for example?

1 Like

It’s good whenever you feel that everything is fine to listen with headphones, then you immediately return to the surface of the earth… And I only use the Sennheiser HD660S2 with a balanced cable, of course :smile:

2 Likes

Mac Mini M1 > Up Gateway NAA > Holo Spring 2 KTE > DNA Stellaris Special > ZMF Atrium LTD koa: SDM to DSD256 is enough :grinning:

4 Likes

One day I will buy Atriums :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, more than an hour, 16 songs already HR format

1 Like

Holo Spring 2 KTE sounds amazing!

Any suggestions to improve Unbuntu Desktop HQplayer performance.

I just enabled Boot Performance Mode: Turbo Performance

And CPU Fan: Performance.

Is it better not to OC or can OC?

I’m a newbie on BIOS tweaks.

Many thanks :pray:t3: