HQPlayer Desktop thread

New drive but now in safemode

edit.

Finally :smiley: So the overnight tests went through and the speed went up a bit and the latency went down a bit. Volts only 1.55v and after the overnight stress test max 43c. I’m speaking alone here I know, but in this day and age there isn’t a lot of benefit in overclocking a processor. I would argue that the biggest benefit in terms of HQPlayer and everything else comes from taking advantage of the memories… Of course, first you have to take the slack out of each component and take care of sufficient cooling!

1 Like

Which ram are you using, those timings look amazing. Are you not using XMP? Are you just increasing the voltage in the BIOS? I have DDR5-6400 at 1.4v, worth increasing the voltage further?

I have sometimes used them as starting values, but now I have to say that I don’t. I have a 15× fan in the case and in addition two separate fans for the memories and although the volts are now 1.6v, after the night stress test the maximum temperature is 42 degrees. That yes you can lift as long as you fix the cooling first.

Is it better to use NAA than ASIO for the DAC as the backend in the output device setting for HQPlayer Desktop for Windows?

Not sure what you mean exactly…

Yes, RAM speed certainly plays big role, since not everything is going to fit in CPU caches.

NAA is applicable for remote endpoints, ASIO is applicable to locally connected DACs.

So first question is how the DAC is connected.

I meant that when I turn on DirectSDM from HQPlayer, the volume is locked at -3db. And when I don’t suppose the amp’s volume control is very good for that price. So is it better to adjust the volume with HQPlayer or with an amplifier?

p.s. tightens, tightens…

Yes, this is on purpose, explained in the manual. Usually, in most cases, you would have Direct SDM turned off.

This volume locking is to avoid volume accidents. Since without this, you could be playing a playlist with mixed content, volume set to -60 dB, first PCM content, then comes a DSD track and suddenly it plays at full volume without volume control. Something you certainly don’t want to happen!

So do you think it’s better to adjust the volume with HQPlayer or with that preamp? Until I buy a decent one.

Quality-wise, HQPlayer will be better. But of course it always incurs a risk, especially on a generic OS like Windows. However, Genelecs have input sensitivity adjustment? So you can dial down the maximum possible volume?

I have a HoloAudio Cyan 2 DAC. I can connect using NAA or ASIO by computer. was just wondering which connection would give the best sound if any or the connection type doesn’t matter for sound with this DAC.

What is the source hardware in question if you use a NAA?

The Sonore UltraRendu would be the source hardware (if I understand the question)

USB is best.

I assume you are asking if I2S input is better than USB? It isn’t

I am not sure if you are responding to me but if you are I was wondering for best sound if connecting the Cyan 2 to the Sonore UltraRendu by USB is better than connecting the Cyan 2 to the PC by USB? Will it make a difference sound-wise and if so which connection is better?

Yes when you asked about connections I assumed you meant inputs (USB vs I2S), not sources.

Cyan2’s USB input galvanically isolated. It measures and sounds identical to me, directly connected to macOS and with NAA

You can safely pick which sounds best to you - you cannot choose wrong :slight_smile:

And I asked Holo how the isolation is powered and he does it the correct way, unlike some others. Source side of the isolator is powered by source and DAC side of the isolator is powered by DAC.

Sometimes you see DAC powering even source side of isolation - which is sub optimal

4 Likes

Thanks for the information it is much appreciated.

1 Like

I think other benefit of using NAA instead of direct connection to Mac is that with NAA you can try higher DSD 1024 x48 rates and using it directly with Mac it’s maximum DoP DSD 512 x 48 right @dabassgoesboomboom ?

Also using NAA allows you flexibility on where you can put the DAC. You can have your Mac on your desk and the NAA with your DAC on your listening area.

Correct, however I don’t know if the UltraRendu can even support that rate.

RPi4 definitely can.

Worth a try I guess

The ultraRendu does not support that rate DSD 1024x48 you will get dropouts, I tried it. I can achieve that rate with a direct connection to my PC. 256x48 sounds perfect to me 512x48 is also good. The UltraRendu supports up to 512x48 rate.

2 Likes