HQPlayer Embedded Discussion [2021-2022]

Hi @Stefan_Andersson1

Can you share the exact .deb filenane that you downloaded and installed?

I have a feeling you didn’t install the amd version I mentioned

As requested, a full set of htop prints. Intel i9-10900k, with 32GB of DDR4 3200 RAM. All of them gauss-xla-ASDM7ECv2@DSD256, multicore @ auto. At 192 khz source material, it stutters. Convolution applied,with long filter (131k).

44.1khz

48khz

88.2khz

96khz

176.4khz

192khz

1 Like

Hi @dabassgoesboomboom
Off course not … just shoot me … But why the AMD-version? Isn’t that for AMD processors, or am I still sitting up the grandstand, just watching the game?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

If I understand it correctly, The amd version is the fully optimized version for both intel and amd processors. The generic is kind of legacy, for older CPU.

3 Likes

Recommend reading the past 2 weeks of this Embedded thread but here’s one thing:

Thanks for sharing this.

Very interesting that PCM48 music to DSD256x44.1k for you isn’t much different to PCM44.1k music - except the 1st two cores actually doing less.

And no virtual core action with both

Do you have auto family rate enabled or off?

Did you accidentally have these mixed up in posting the screenshot? Reversed?

Would be great to see the total / overload CPU loading too - I think this number was cropped out in your screenshots.

And confirmation the output is DSD256x44.1k ? No auto family rate to DSD256x48k

Are you definitely running amd version?

hqplayerd_4.28.3-107amd_amd64

Hi @dabassgoesboomboom

God damn, H*ll Yeah!!! playing with no flaws, no skips and low latency. See settings below. Have not listened on speakers, only head phones, there is one person who has the veto rights when skiing is on TV. But it sounds super clean and there is “no” (to be able to say no with certainty, this hobby would not be fun very long) artefacts in the highs and super tight bass with no heavy foot. The special headphone output, with exceptional high dynamics was just WOW …

Now, since you now the RME, I thought I may ask you, is it possible to go with ethernet to the DAC. I.e. is the ethernet I2S re-configurable to receive network backend audio files? I will pick up the manual, I promiss, it is however the type you have to grow into. So, just checking before start plowing the … interesting … features of the RME DAC. Glad I kept it. It is just so good, when playing … and I know what I am doing … * room for free interpretation *

2 Likes

I thought I would see what else the new highly optimized HQPe OS ver 4.28.3.x64amd could do on my modest CPU/RAM combo: Dell Intel i5 10400 6 Core, 12 gb RAM
Well, I can easily do:
poly-sinc-gauss-long, AMSDM7 512+fs, DSD 1024
7EC modulators are too much as expected at 1024 or 512, but still, Jussi has done an amazing job on this release for less robust systems.

1 Like

@dabassgoesboomboom

Should have checked rear side, I would have known that there is no ethernet connection present here … sorry :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another shot of 44.1khz. This time, I included also a i7z screen, that show frequency and voltage and temp. CPU is working harder on 48khz. But isn’t breaking a sweat.

Now 48khz

2 Likes

There is some to gain from using a NAA bridge between the HQP and the the DAC, if I have understood correctly, what I have been reading. After fiddeling some with RPI’s and similar small units, I have always hit a wall for its 1) inconvenience 2) inferior power supplies (ok, possible to replace) and 3) very poorly built in terms of RFI and stray capacitance rejection and simply after some time realized it cannot play clean enough. However the “thing” still puzzles me and I was having fantasies about being able to connect some sort of an adapter, into the grounded switch I use, which transforms LAN Ethernet (RJ45), to USB B (gen.2). Now, that would possibly require some sort of software that HQP recognize as a NAA, wouldn’t it? Does it exist managed switches which allows to manipulate this?
Would this be so over the top complex, a solution with the lavish SoTM USB card (https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/tx-usbexp/), with an external power supply, onboard re-clocking, etc would be a far better choice … and more convenient?

1 Like

Did you consider an ultra rendu? Convenient to use, and well built.

2 Likes

Thanks, will check it out! :slight_smile:

I use an ultraRendu with just NAA running on it. It’s quite stable and supports PCM 768 and DSD 512 passthrough. Personally, I can successfully pass DSD 1024 or PCM 1536 through it, your milage may vary.

HQPeOS → Cisco switch → ultraRendu to Denafrips dac
I use certified Cat 6 cable off an industrial spool, terminate the ends myself.

2 Likes

@Jose_Vita
@Deano
I briefly checked some bus stops on the net for info about the UltraRendo, and as far as I can understand the performance does not increase from my computer/usb/RME ADI-2, there seems to be almost equal noise levels, in measurements, but the other part is off course hard to check by reading.
Perhaps the correct way is to first buy or build a good linear psu to the DAC, the company I work for sell the Keces products and I think that the P3 would be an excellent choice. After this trial perhaps a galvanic isolation of the usb bus, re-clock and expernal power supply would be a better choice, i.e. the SoTM USB card. Perhaps anyone running like this? not necessarily with the Keces, but a good linear psu?
My current stream is Roon on separate pc (NAS+Tidal+Qobuz) → FTP Cat8 cable to D-Link 230 VAC connected protective ground switch for homogeneous ground of cable network shields and devices signal grounds + QoS improved re-clocking → FTP Cat8 cable from D-Link → HQPe on separate pc → USB → RME ADI-2 DAC fs

Yes, the software is available. Even as full OS stack that you can boot, for RPi4 and x64 PC hardware.

I’m using the UP Gateway as a NAA (running NAA OS), powered from Ferrum Hypsos PSU.

Then there are of course DACs with built-in ethernet input and NAA functionality. Such as the big T+A units and exaSound s88.

1 Like

In the past I used both the ultra rendu and sotm usb card. Both powered by hdplex linear. I found the ultrarendu better in terms of background noise. Also, it allowed my hqp pc to be out of the listening room, and as loud as it wanted to be.

Today I go optical to my dac, so I am free from these usb isolation problems.

Ps: if one of you bus stops was a certain audio science forum, take it with a grain of salt. For them, nothing else matters, and you could plug a usb cable directly from your standard pc port to your rme that performance would be the same, and you would not be able to tell the difference in a double-blind test. I am not saying they are wrong (or right). You just have to choose your philosophy here.

1 Like

I’m using CAT6A U/UTP throughout on purpose to break all the ground connections. Especially because mixture of lifted and grounded devices (two and three pin power cords).

Otherwise the entire house with 50+ ethernet connected devices would be horrible grounding mess.

Ethernet provides you galvanically isolated connections only if you use unshielded cables. It has that galvanic isolation on purpose.

These are one of my favorite patch cables at the moment:

House is wired with normal CAT6 U/UTP.

I also have bunch of CAT6A flat ribbon type patch cables.

4 Likes

@dabassgoesboomboom per your request here’s my i9 12900k w/ DDR5 w/o CUDA running -107 AMD build

1 Like

I instead use only shielded patches, using the shield to while always connected to each and every non-grounded device, often powered from SMPSU’s, hence loads of PCB signal ground ripple, become as good as one as possible by grounding it in the switch with 0 ohm protective ground impedance. So instead of isolate every device as islands, each buzzing from their ripple, I connect them to ground giving them as low and as equal potential as possible. Otherwise, there is always the risk of stray capacitance polluting the signal with the un-grounded noise/rippel. It has done I would say, the complete difference allowing me to hear every tiny change I do in the rig. The concept is proven equally efficient whereever I implement it, everyone is able to recognize the difference, in most cases significant. And, on top of it, it is not even so called hifi-switches, just plain unmanaged enterprice switches from D-link, 230 V AC with protective earth and QoS.

Now this is interesting. Is the Gateway this one; https://up-shop.org/up-gateway-atom-x5-z8350-w-4g-memory-32g-emmc-board-w-vesa-plate.html ?

And you have an image; software on OS available to just etch and boot this device from? Included in current subscribtion or additional? Would you say from your experience or perhaps even measurement, that this gateway is making my streaming chain even more silent? I mean silent in the signal to noise ratio?