HQPlayer Embedded Discussion [2021-2022]

Of course there is! Way more powerful stuff with HQPlayer.

No need for plugins

“Matrix” can use text-based PEQ or IR WAV. I use PEQ for room correction. In the same page HQPlayer has ■■2B for headphone crossfeed. If you have HRTF files you can also build a spatial experience in Matrix.

1 Like

Also combination of the supported ways!

Only limit for number of PEQ’s and convolution filters is amount of RAM and processing power.

3 Likes

HQPlayer can do advanced HRTF for example using HRTF WAV files to build an ATMOS 7.1.4 spatial experience in your headphone. That’s not a simple down mixing. It’s a simulation. If you can choose the HRTF properly you can even hear the correct speaker position.

3 Likes

This is tremendous! Please tell me how to do this.

My 2 main HRTF sources:
Listen and MIT KEMAR
But I personally prefer Listen.

1. go Listen’s Demo Sound page. Try all to find the “roundest” one.
  2. go Listen’s Download page to get your roundest file.
  3. choose “Compensated” IR WAV files as listed. Because the files are all L+R mixed so you have to use Audacity to split it to L mono and R mono. (deg is counter clockwise–I know it’s painful.)
    030-000 deg as L main
    330-000 deg as R main
    000-000 deg as C and LFE
    105-000 deg as LS
    225-000 deg as RS
    150-000 deg as LS rear
    210-000 deg as RS rear
    045-045 deg as L top front
    315-045 deg as R top front
    135-045 deg as L top rear
    225-045 deg as R top rear
  4. follow my screenshot to link and set the HRTF files to designated channels. (my screen is small so ch12 didn’t show but the setting is the same way.)
  5. in macOS: use BlackHole (yes, now you definitely need BlackHole 16ch to extract 12 channels of the ATMOS contents) as input for HQPlayer Embedded or Desktop.
  6. enable HQPlayer then play your Apple ATMOS Music.
3 Likes

Thanks but which MacOS version are you using?
I found apple music in monterey 12.2 no longer output Dolby Atmos content to multi-channel. It already downmixed by itself.
this is my setting

Don’t use Loopback. Its ACE only support 2ch.

I’m using 12.1 at this moment (will try 12.2 later). To verify ATMOS could multichannel out I used Merging’s VAD and Audio MIDI Setup to 7.1.4.

I don’t see any pre-downmixing.

1 Like

I have another machine using Big Sur and blackhole 16ch can trigger multi-channel output from Apple Music dolby atmos. I use loopback because i need a software to verify. This behaviour is suppressed (or fixed) by Apple in latest monterey 12.2. I wonder now Apple Music simply downmix by itself. Anyway you can verify in 12.2.

Verified. Apple Music still can output multichannel in Monterey 12.2.

I used BlackHole and sent it to HQPlayer Desktop, upsampling to 12 ch DXD (352.8):

12 in / 12 out no issues.

In Anubis it shows DXD and 12 channels.

2 Likes

this is strange :rofl:
I simply can’t make it work again from certain point of time

I turned apple music dolby atmos to “Automatic” and solved it. I can recall what happened now.
Before the monetery 12.1 update or something, I got to set this, and output to “blackhole 16ch” and configure the speaker to 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos sound, to trick Apple Music to output Dolby Atmos. Otherwise the Apple Music dolby atmos logo would be off.
But after the update, Apple fixed this. Whenever I set Apple Music dolby atmos to “Always on”, the app will downmix Dolby Atmos to 2 channel and output to any sound device.
I think for your case, it’s up to you to prefer Apple Music downmix or HQPlayer downmix. Maybe your method would sound better? I didn’t try yet. The process is quite complicated. I think you can compare too.

1 Like

Yes, this really sounds cool will get it. Thank you again for this!

I prefer HQPlayer doing DSP since ATMOS is highly compressed audio. poly-sinc-mqa/mp3- rocks!

If you can accept some delays, this combo also can be used for ATMOS movies playback in TV app. In this case I prefer using poly-sinc-mqa/mp3-mp + short buf + highest PCM rate to get the shortest delay (well… still have a bit lip out-of-sync just see if you can accept it or not). For the SQ… worth it.

For example, the opening rock music of “The Eternal” movie is Pink Floyd’s “Time”. Playback in ATMOS 5.1.2 then upsampling to highest PCM rate or DSD then feed to Anubis doing 8ch out… that’s the best version I’ve ever heard.

Of course I can set ATMOS output to Anubis directly with no delay when watching TV app. But the SQ is less.

2 Likes

I set it up already, but not sure what’s wrong, the sound is very hallow, the vocal volume is very small and distant, like only I can hear the surround part of the sound (the loopback screen just for checking if there’s multichannel output)

Would you provide the screenshot of the Settings and HQPlayer Desktop’s main window?

And the channel mapping looks a bit weird. (Why skip 9 and 10?)

Audio MIDI Setup has test button. You can use that for verifying your HRTF settings.

I didn’t touch the channel mapping, its like that by default. Here you are

I would suggest you to shift up the channel number make it sequence to match the HRTF in Matrix.
… and change the input channel number from 2 to 12 then activate HQPD again.

This fixed part of the problem.
I tested the channel. All channels got sound but just mono. (All side channel produce sound in two speakers).
Problems of my HRTF files?
Can you upload yours to somewhere like dropbox and send me the links?