HQPlayer Embedded Discussion [2021-2022]

I have run a lot of fibres and never mixed single and multi more. In short run <800 my we always use MM fiber, usually in bundles of 8 or 12 tails so we can subnet it and run multiple networks.
We have almost never needed single mode, and for home use I would say always use multi mode, unless specifically told otherwise.

You can buy pre terminated fiber runs on Amazon and other places, but how long is your run?

1 Like

Ok apologies for a boring annoying problem. I had HQP working fine, but 3 days ago, I lost the the HQP config screen. I rebooted the RPi and got HQP showing again.

But HQP wonā€™t play. When I checked the RPi ip in Roon, it appears correct. But the usual message on hitting play (may take a few seconds to play) doesnā€™t come up, and it wonā€™t play.

Iā€™m running HQP image on RPI4

Is the image too old? Or do I need to reboot? Or are my settings showing a fault?

Good to hear you fixed your issue. The opticalRendu is not network constrained and has no issue doing DSD512. Even with DSD512 comming it it has plenty of network bandwidth to spare.

With optical network you do need to use compatible equipment. We test components here and put the on the systemOptique list if they work.

Also a poster asked is the sonicTtransporter i9 can run at is max speed for a long time without overheating and throttling the CPU. We have tested the sonicTransporter i9 in an enclosed environment. We set it upsampling to DSD512 with the most CPU intensive filter combination. After 24 hours the case temperature was the same and the CPU was not throttling. Our passive cooling design works well for extreme upsampling.

Which filter and modulator specifically?

You havenā€™t said which image?

Did you try to reboot?

Your config page looks fine. You could try LNS15 noise shaper when things get working

Iā€™ll have to check which image I used. Oct/Nov 2021 maybe was the last time I burned it. Surely it canā€™t be too outdated?

There is nothing else on the card, Iā€™m only using HQP (no Ropieee)

I did reboot in HQP menu, as well as RPi

Have you checked this?

Thanks Fernando. I have been using HQP daily until last Thursday. And think everything was updated fairly smoothly in March. So Iā€™m a little surprised if this was the problem.

I have the day off tomorrow, so will reflash the latest HQP image, and start from scratch.

Iā€™m about to choose between a new i9 12900k or Mac mini to run HQP. So Iā€™ll probably trial Desktop, whilst weighing up the proā€™s and cons of Embedded or Desktop.

What does the ā€œlimits / apodā€ counts mean on the main page of embedded? I understand that you should not get more than zero limits, but what about the ā€œapodā€ part? I am seeing numbers in the hundreds there. As an example I am seeing 0 / 106 at the moment. Is this bad? I am using sinc-mx / NS9 upsampling PCM to 176/192 (using spdif so limited to that) and my vol is limited to max -3dbfs. Thanks in advance

Apod counter is direct analysis on the source material and it wonā€™t change regardless of your HQPlayer settings. So for same source material you will always get same figures (unless the analysis changes on some future release).

If the apod counter grows to figures over 10 during a track, you know you should be using an apodizing filter. If it doesnā€™t, you donā€™t have to use one, but using one doesnā€™t harm anything either. Only if you are using non-apodizing filter on a content that would need one, you know you are reproducing some source distortions. So itā€™s like ā€œyou have to use apodizing filter on this contentā€ -indicator.

Thanks - important info and useful help for filter choice

Modulator: ASDM7EC
Filter: Poly Sinc ext2

2 Likes

Finally found a few minutes to get Embedded running again. I remembered reading you could boot from a memory stick, which I had not tried before. Anyway, I downloaded hqplayer-embedded-4.32.1-x64avx2.7z and booted from it no problem. I changed the password etc, I assume it saves on the memory stick?? I think I even managed to get the licence to work too - the same machine previously ran ubuntu server, but now runs Mint - although that is a moot point given you can boot from a memory stick.

Happily playing along now!

2 Likes

Is ā€œauto bit rateā€ in Embedded SDM the same as ā€œadaptive output rateā€ in Desktop? In particular, for DSD256, with the same filters and modulators, do the two behave the same on 44.1/16 material? Iā€™m trying auto on Embedded, with a limit of 256*48000, and it seems that upsampling is non-integer and hits that limit, while I expected an integer multiplier under the limit. To some extent itā€™s just curiosity, but also it seems (I emphasize ā€œseemsā€) that the i9-19000 that runs Embedded for a Holo May is working harder than the Mac Mini M1 that runs Desktop for a Spring 2 at my other location.

In Embedded ā€œadaptive output rateā€ is named ā€œAuto rate Familyā€.
Set ā€œRate limitā€ to 12288000 (=256x48)
You need to check ā€œ48k DSDā€ too
ā€¦ these are my settings using NAA

2 Likes

Andrew, I am running a ST i9 with HQP embedded. If I set the filter combo to poly-since-ext2 and ASDM7EC (or ASDM7ECv2) with the bitrate set at 22.5792, the loading on two of the cores (#1 & #5) jumps between 98% and 100% and the music is interrupted with brief silence every few seconds. So, although the system could be said to be running in this mode, it does not produce listenable music.

Is there something I am missing?

Message to all Masters Tweakers :slight_smile:

I have stepped on a long and winding path towards DSD@1024 playback and started to build i9-12900k machine that would be dedicated to HQPe

What is your use case and opinion on good networking for DSD@1024x48 (2 channels of-course)

Two architectures I have in mind:

Option 1 - immediately available (default), but iā€™m concerned (may be wrongly) about traffic and pressure on the network that I have

Option 2 - theoretical, I think of a network bridge on HQP server, having two
ethernet ports, I assume it may benefit in routing traffic more efficiently.

What you think? Any better options or considerations?

Igor:

I am currently running your option 1, Roon core on separate computer, Water-cooled i9-12900K with Cuda offload to RTX-2080 graphics card. If your goal is to achieve DSD1024, I donā€™t think it will be bound by the network from my experience. I can successfully playback 44/16 material at DSD1024 using poly-sinc-ext2 with ASDM7EC 512+fs modulator. Network traffic reports Tx speeds around 11 Mb/sec. Fans ramp up to max speed and CPU temps hit 75 to 80C. This alone makes me happy to stick with DSD512 and the ASDM7ECV2 modulator. If I try to play 96/24 at DSD1024, i get spurious drop-outs about every 15 to 30 seconds. Hope this helps with your decisions.

Steve

1 Like

Thank you, ā€œauto rate familyā€ was exactly what I was missing. With it set, load goes down a lot for 44.1/16 material, with rate multiplier exactly 256 as I saw with my Desktop setup in my other location.

Steve,
thanks a million for taking your time and sharing! In any case Option 1 will be my starting point as iā€™m only equipped for that currently. And what you have shared on networking sounds very promising. Iā€™ve got all my parts to start assembly. I do not yet plan to employ CUDA. Will see first how far can I get without. Also will start with Nocta for cooling.

Much appreciated, Igor.