HQPlayer EQ Settings

Good morning Rooners!

I understand that you cannot EQ directly from HQPlayer so I used REW and exported a mono WAV file to import back to HQPlayer.

Should I import the WAV file in all fiels in HQPlayer? Also, am I doing this the correct way?

1 Like

Hi Antonis

I have used the wav way with Convolution on 2 ch also from rew when I was following this: Creating convolution files for Roon in the new Room EQ Wizard (REW) with Inversion that did not use EQ filters.

Now I’m back using EQ filters in REW I found easier to export the *.txt (left and right) and load that in to HQP matrix pipeline (I have saved some matrix pipeline setups depending on my sitting point, sweet spot or at computer desk so it is easy to change them on the fly from phone).

Either way I was doing separate files for channels so I did not test using just one file for all the channels. I think you can write the EQ filters directly on the pipeline and no outside file anymore but I haven’t got yet time to try that.

I’m sure other users have more experience and can guide you (especially when using more than 2ch)

1 Like

It is better to export those filter settings as .txt from REW and then import such txt to HQPlayer’s matrix pipeline processor, for the channels you want (1 and 2 for stereo).

No need to use convolution filter for such.

2 Likes

Which option would that be?

If I remember correctly I did use the simpler one (without formatted text)

Cool thanks! When I export in txt, I notice that there is not preamp db settings in the EQ file. Is there a way to include that within DEW?

Just checked, not preamp setting in mine also (but I only have filter on minus)… I think it is safe to add the headroom of you biggest filter, I think in your previous screen shot that was at 1,800 gain 6. So I’ll start by putting a -6 on the Gain column in matrix pipeline. And watch the HQP volume knob to stay grey. Hope I’m right.

1 Like

Format of txt file just needs to look like the below to work nicely with HQPlayer (change actual values to suit your needs, add as many filters as you need):

Preamp: -6.0 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 28 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 0.707
Filter 2: ON LS Fc 105 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 0.707
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 1.100
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 980 Hz Gain -2.1 dB Q 2.000
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 3.3 dB Q 1.700
2 Likes

After you load the EQ in HQPlayer, use the very useful ‘Plot’ feature to have a look and make sure you have enough Preamp gain set.

It shows the EQ visually.

3 Likes

You don’t need to change your filter file for the preamp gain if it is not there, you can instead use the gain option in matrix setup to do the same. It is just more convenient in some cases if the preamp line is there already.

2 Likes