HQPlayer NAA thread

Good evening, thanks to you I was able to install the 430 x64 rams image.I use sd card 32 gb and balena etcher. Thank you!

2 Likes

And another question, NAA takes a long time to load, is it possible to reduce this time? Tomorrow I will try another sd card or usb flash , may be it can make faster start NAA.
And still, despite this, I am delighted that I managed to set up NAA ! I am happy because I dont hear fan noise…

1 Like

ramfs takes a while to decompress, depending on speed of the NAA device. The regular non-ramfs image may be faster to boot. But overall it shouldn’t take more than 10 - 15 seconds.

1 Like

Very happy to read that it’s now working well.

Fanless NAA is essential for best HQP experience.

The Intel Atom you purchased is very cheap and should work just as well as the UpBoard Gateway for half the price.

What is your USB DAC model again?

2 Likes

I just want to throw out there in case anyone is considering the same as me…I bought a MeLe Quieter3 fanless to use as an NAA. It works, has a small footprint, doesn’t get warm BUT, it needs 12v and uses a USB-C terminated power supply. The problem seems that its USB-C doesn’t conform to some sort of power delivery standard so you HAVE to use a 12v only. It does not have a chip in it to negotiate what it needs if you use something that can deliver 5, 9, 12, 15 etc. like most of today’s devices. I’m having trouble finding a better power supply than the one the came with it due to this. I’ve asked iFi if their 12v Elite could work with a barrel to UBS-C adaptor. If anyone has any suggestions I’m all ears. One option, but it would look awful is to buy this. This can handle the negotiation and you could use any supply with the ability to deliver 12v.

Mele make a 5Vdc fanless model some people use for HQPlayer NAA.

I love to stick to 5Vdc. For ultra critical listening if you want to completely disconnect from issues related to noisy AC power, you can use a powerbank.

All good DACs will eliminate “noise” that the powerbank generates.

Much harder is to filter all the crap on AC power.

Something like an Intona does a great job to isolate from AC power issues upstream of the DAC USB input , but even better is to completely disconnect from AC.

I posted this in the Ropieee area but it relates to NAA as well, so I am posting the link here as well.

In short I cannot play DSD when my DAC is connected to RopieeeXL in NAA mode… it always go through the PCM upsampler whatever the settings (although it works flawlessly when the DAC is connected directly to my PC via USB/ASIO): see my post here

I think with all Chord DACs you need to set “SDM Pack” to “DoP”. They don’t support native DSD on Linux (old Amanero firmware).

But with Chord DACs it is not beneficial to send DSD, because it will get converted to 16x PCM in the DAC with less than great algorithm. So instead one should configure HQPlayer to always output 705.6/768k PCM, also for DSD sources. Due to implementation issues in Chord USB interface, it may be best to always use fixed 705.6k PCM rate. Chord DACs have only one clock and both input rates are always converted to same output rate, so there’s no benefit in changing the rates anyway.

Unfortunately I already bought the 12v model. I may try and return it or give it to someone who wants a portable Windows 11 computer. It was only like $230 so not a big deal. I may just buy the $8 trigger module and play around with power supplies. I don’t believe any of Apples, which I have many, do 12v.

You are right indeed: I just tried with another DAC (Topping D90LE) and it is working fine. So it is related to the Mojo2 and the way it is dealing with DSD coming from the RopieeeXL. Problem closed :slight_smile:

Hello , and thank you . I use Gustard x26 pro , Asdmsec v2 , 48 ×128 , and your favorite gauss filters , adaptive output , multicore dsp .But NAA start long time , and now i try to fix this problem . I try to use another sd cards and flash but problem still here…may be problem in bios , i dont now…

1 Like

And today one more problem was added, NAA, albeit slowly, is loading, but somehow the main computer stopped seeing NAA.

How many seconds or minutes?

1 Like

Wait until NAA is fully loaded - then open HQPlayer Desktop app last

Does that help or still problem ?

1 Like

Is it ok to put HQPlayer on one machine, Roon Core on another and then use the NAA (on the mini PC)? I’m trying to take some of the pressure off the Mac Mini M1 that HQPlayer is running on by putting Roon Core elsewhere. I get some stuttering using ASDM7ECv2 when it plays files that aren’t 44.1/16. I can use ASDM5EC just fine. How powerful of a computer do you need to use DSD512 or 1024? If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Depends on filter and DAC (can it do x48k rates).

Depends on budget

If you want to be able to do everything that HQPlayer is capable of, then get the 13900K Intel CPU I guess and may need to add fast NVidea GPU (again depending on exactly what you need)

Sorry with the “it depends” answer but theres lots to it.

Getting the fastest K series Intel CPU and best NVidia GPU is always going to give maximum flexibility but whether you need that and want to spend that money, is important to know

This depends on your filter selection. If you have fixed output rate, your modulator choice always takes same amount of CPU time. And then rest of the load varies depending on source content rate and your filter settings. Combination of these two loads defines how much you can do.

I was using poly-sinc-gauss-long, hires-lp and ext2 on the Oversampling Nx. All stuttered. This Mac Mini does nothing but Roon and HQPlayer. It’s headless so I need to share screen to control. Is there a way to change filters or settings on HQPlayer without logging into this headless Mac BTW?

I’ll look into more powerful PC’s. Is Windows better than Mac? I have no idea about Linux and don’t own any Windows computers.

These are the default settings and known to work fine on Mac Mini M1:

1x = poly-sinc-gauss-long
Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp
Modulator = ASDM7ECv2
Bitrate = 44.1k x256

If you want DSD512, then a PC with Linux or Windows is better. Apple’s M1/M2 work fine up to DSD256.

Yes, you can control through HQPlayer Client on some other computer. Or HQPDcontrol on iOS/iPadOS/Android.

2 Likes

Thanks, Jussi and dabass! Amazing product with fantastic support!