HQPlayer v4 released

But as mentioned earlier, I can swap the miniDSP Streamer out for an RME ADI-2 Pro if I want more inputs than just TOSLink and if I want automatic sample rate switching.

You previous block diagram was actually easier to follow (for someone else) with HQP Desktop in the middle. Very minor point of course, it doesn’t change anything in a practical sense.

NAA #1 should feed Box 1 or be part of it, however you want.

Ok. Thanks. I think I’ve got it now. So I am missing two boxes:

I still do not understand why NAA1 and NAA2 could not (in principle) be the same box, but I guess there are technical reasons.

Looks like I can try this with the miniDSP USBStream to get the SACD working initially. My CD player comes from a time when “audiophile” players would have no Toslink because of jitter scares. So I would think that for many on this forum trying to get their old CD Player working with HQPlayer they would not have a Toslink output either. As you say the USBStream can be replaced with something like the RME ADI-2 Pro with more inputs once it is all working. By the sounds of things the auto-rate switching driver from Jussi will only work with the RME ADI-2 pro and not something similar like the miniDSP SHD?

Just one thing. The NAA1 you mention you use RPi4 but then you also say you use the Tiny Gateway? Did you mean you use the Tiny Gateway as the HQPlayer desktop rather than NAA?

Good question actually , I asked the same a while ago.

For now, NAA itself (UpBoard, RPi4, whatever) isn’t able to both input and output USB at the same time on same device.

Maybe Jussi can do this in future or maybe just never possible.

I just go by what Jussi recommends which is always what he has at his own desk and confirm works.

His website has a list of recommended hardware. If you stick to that, things will work.

miniDSP SHD does have bi-directional USB (great!) but unless Jussi has one and test, it’s understandable he won’t recommend it. You would have to try at your own risk or find if someone has one and tested.

I probably caused this confusion but I’ve used both NAA and UpBoard Gateway as NAA #1

Both have been in NAA #1 and #2 position and vice versa.

For HQP server, I use HQPlayer Desktop on one setup (and HQP OS on another but that doesn’t change overall layout)

Do you upsample to DSD with HQPlayer? Or just stick to PCM?

There is a cheaper RME (both ADC and DAC) that is limited to PCM192kHz but should do the same job as the Pro with this limitation. Missing AES3 in/out too. I can see analogue in, TOSlink in and digital coax in.

ADI-2 FS - RME Audio Interfaces | Format Converters | Preamps | Network Audio & MADI Solutions

Your analogue tape deck would connect via RCA and looks like both ADI-2 models can take RCA cable (TS to RCA adapters and cables are easy to get everywhere, even Mogami make such cables)

I think for my purposes with my legacy kit the cheaper RME would do just as well so thanks for the link. I don’t upsample PCM to DSD. I have also reached a personal ceiling of 384hz with PCM although I have DAC’s that go higher. I just don’t like the results. The few DSD downloads I have I just pass through with no upsampling at all. So the the vast majority is DSD64 with a few DSD128.

Yep so you would have 1 x analogue input, 1 x TOSlink input and 1 x digital coax input with the cheaper ADI-2 FS DAC/ADC and actually all your sources will be limited to PCM192k anyway. DSD doesn’t even factor on the “input” side really. So that was silly of me.

Only catch is Jussi hasn’t tested that model BUT he did tell me his driver should work with the ADI-2 “family”. Should work doesn’t mean does work obviously. He doesn’t have that model to test.

I have the ADI-2 DAC and tested it’s TOSlink “input” and it worked with his driver. My DAC doesn’t feature analogue in.

So there is a high chance the cheaper ADI-2 FS (ADC and DAC that I linked) will work but nobody can confirm for sure until it’s tried.

Ideal would be if you can trial one from a dealer (risk free) or find a used one.

I can see this one has Toslink in. I think I saw Jussi mention he plugs a chromecast audio in there for Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify. So that is covering all bases.

The more expensive RME looks very tempting though with everything else it can do.

Your RPi4 has a bi-directional USB I assume? That is how you are doing this? I have to attach the PI2AES when it arrives to a RPi4. My original idea was this was going to be a NAA2 to replace the SOtM SMS-200 Neo I couldn’t get working. Well I finally got the SOtM to work by trial and error (very long story). So in principle I have a spare NAA1 now. I will not need all the outputs but I am just really curious if it is possible to simplify all this and use a single NAA for input/output. Maybe the input/output NAA’s need to have two different network ports/addresses? I am sure you can get dual ethernet port RP’s these days, certainly NUC’s, or maybe one of the Tiny gateways has dual ethernet ports.

All 3 ADI-2 models feature bi-directional USB with TOSlink in, digital coax in.

The 2 x current AD/DA models obviously add analogue in.

Yes TOSlink is just light. The ADI-2 and HQPlayer don’t know or care what that TOSlink source is. So can be a CD player, Chromecast Audio, Bluesound Node 2i, Airport Express etc. All get treated the same.

What are the extra things you are seeing that it can do? Certainly on the D-to-A side I can see but using it for just an “input” I can’t see anything different except additional AES3 input.

No ADI-2 or USBStreamer feeds NAA over USB (RPi4 or UPBoard Gateway) then it is ethernet output to HQPlayer.

I have no idea. I just do things Jussi’s ‘recommended’ way. That way he helps me :grinning:

The moment you start talking dual ethernet ports and dual address etc, @jussi_laako won’t reply to your emails :grin: And I can understand this - custom/managed networks can get really complicated really quickly and be a nightmare to troubleshoot.

But certainly you could try yourself. I can’t help on this though unfortunately, I’m not clever enough to work out how to do it

If you want the best help from JL, stick to same gear he has, using his recommended configuration and he is awesome with help.

For that, RME ADI-2 Pro is certainly best option. And you need to either run HQPlayer on Linux, or have a Linux-based NAA configured with ADI-2 as input.

miniDSP USB Streamer with correct firmware flashed works for fixed rate Toslink inputs.

1 Like

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately it looks like the miniDSP USBStreamer is discontinued. Is there something similar you could recommend (besides the RME ADI-2 Pro)? It seems this type of interface is difficult to find these days.

Good to know. I have HQP3, but can’t figure out how to get the discount coupon even if I wanted to upgrade. When I click thru the “get discount coupon” button it tells me there is a form that’s needed, but then wants me to upload “something”. Presumably the key? So I took a screen capture of the v3 key signature, but didn’t get anything in return except: “std: :exception.” I have no clue what to do with that. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

You must upload the key file not the screenshot

Thank you. But to upload, doesn’t it have to be a file of some sort? It is supposed to be an .xml file of some kind. Where is the file located?

Yes, it is a xml file. You should have received it attached to a mail when you bought your license.
How do you enter your license key in you HQP version?

I have an early version of HQP3 - which I have’t used in some time. They changed the key format to .xml some time ago when I was not using the software. I know the original key but not the new one. I’ve asked Jussi the same question and am awaiting a reply.

He also said I needed to put his NAA software module in my Innuos Zenith (roon bridge), but I’m not sure if the Innuos will let me upload a third-part piece of software

I doubt it is possible, but I’m quite sure there is a misunderstanding … better to aks @jussi_laako a confirmation

Jussi is the person who told me I needed to upload the NAA module to the Innuos, so not looking too promising

It would help to look here:

https://innuos.com/2022/09/07/whats-new-with-innuos-2-2/

One of the new features is HQPlayer NAA support.

@jussi_laako is a pretty smart guy.

I missed that news … interesting!