I can not add shared drives to Roon - shared via main Mac Mini

Before Roon, I’ve used my Macs to access the music folders shared via my main Mac Mini. There were added to every iTunes Library. (without copying them)
Now I try to add these shared drives to my MacBook Pro (as it is mobile device, had a separated iTunes Library on external HDD), but I could not find any successful access, it is permanently refused.
The drive is mounted on my MacBook Pro:
smb://SZUCS Main._smb._tcp.local/Feri 4 TB G-DRIVE/ITunes2018
It has a fixed address 192.168.1.50 in my local network
I’ve added the username of that MacMini and the corresponding password.

Now soon I will add a Nucleus as additional source and it will be crucial to find the proper syntax to be able to add the shared drives/folders.
It would be great if somebody could advise!
Thanks a lot - Ferenc

Try changing the smb path, see this thread (ignore the title) Cannot Connect QNAP NAS to Nucleus+

1 Like

Sorry nothing works, I gave all possible variations, still access is unauthorised. I’ve made an additional sharing in my MacMini (Which wasn’t necessary until now for my sharing between my Macs)
Tried:
smb://192.168.1.50/SZUCS Main/Feri 4 TB G-DRIVE
smb://192.168.1.50/Feri 4 TB G-DRIVE
smb://SZUCS Main/Feri 4 TB G-DRIVE
These ones must be wrong, still I’ve tried it:
smb://192.168.1.50\SZUCS Main\Feri 4 TB G-DRIVE
smb://192.168.1.50\Feri 4 TB G-DRIVE
smb://SZUCS Main\Feri 4 TB G-DRIVE

with user and pw and without as well
Would be nice to find a solution, thanks a lot.
Ferenc

What is the share name on the 4tb drive? You may need to map to a folder eg

smb://192.168.1.50/Feri 4 TB G-DRIVE/music

Or whatever the folder name is where you music is stored.

Thanks for your report, @Ferenc_Szucs.

I’m sorry to hear that you are having difficulties here. In order to get a better picture of what may be happening here, may I ask that you please do the following:

• Share a screenshot of what you are seeing when you try to add the share in Roon
  • Can you confirm that you are able to access the shared folder outside of Roon?

Regards,
Dylan

Yes the folders are accessible (see my original post, there is the path from finder copied).
I’m accessing these folders since years from my other Macs.
Soon I’ll add the screenshots

Thank you for the info and screenshots, @Ferenc_Szucs.

Next I’d like to take a look at the share settings on the mac mini.

On the remote computer (i.e Mac Mini) you are going to want to go “system preferences” and then “sharing”. Check “file share” and then in the “shared folders” window you will want to use the “plus” sign to select the folder you want the Core to see. In the “users” window to the right of the “shared folders” you will set the permissions for that shared folder (i.e read only, write only, etc).

Once you have the above setup you will click the “options” button and and make sure “share files and folders using SMB” is checked. “share files and folders using AFP” should be left unchecked.

Can you confirm that these settings are correct on your Mac Mini?

-Dylan

Yes, now it works. Had the sharing enabled, still on the additional setup page (where smb is authorised) I had to once more enable sharing with password.
Thanks a lot now it WORKS!