Roon Core Machine

MacBook Pro late 2013

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Toslink to Onkyo TX-8150

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Everything looks ok and signal path is perfect and the midi settings shows 24/192 but no sound. Should it not support 24/192 through the headphone jack?

Citing from your Onkyo receiver’s user manual, page 35:

Sampling rates for PCM signals (stereo, mono) from a digital input are 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz/16 bit, 20 bit, and 24 bit.

I think he’s talking about the computer jack not the onkyo

On late 2013 Macbook Pro 192/24 output seems to be supported, and so shows OP’s screenshot. But the receiving Onkyo doesn’t support it, and therefore no sound.

Look at the signal path he showed its not going to the onkyo

It’s Toslink optical output, not USB. Roon signal path will never show what’s downstream from the Mac’s digital out. I know well because I am using Toslink output to a DAC of mine, and that doesn’t show up, either. The user is supposed to configure the Toslink-connected DAC’s capabilities manually in the device setup. Roon can’t know what’s downstream…

FWIF, this is my signal path, with a Toslink-connected external DAC.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 3.22.34 PM

1 Like

Bit the dac in the Onkyo is a 384 kHz/32-bit

Yes, and this is supported on Ethernet and maybe USB. Have a look into the device’s manual. On Coaxial or Toslink digital inputs, your Onkyo only supports up to 96/24.

3 Likes

Macs are weird.
The new macbooks are limited to 96 I guess older ones were better.

If I connect say a Topping d10s between MacBook and the Onkyo with a coaxial cable from the Topping to Onkyo, will it still be maximum 24/96?

Yes and there are models where optical digital output is not supported. I happen to have a late 2103 MacBook Pro like the OP, but I don’t have a DAC to check 192/24 output over Toslink.

1 Like

Last Apple PC I used was an Apple IIe in 1983.

1 Like

Whatever the source, all Coax/Toslink inputs are supported only up to max. 96/24.

1 Like

I also have Audirvana but they use upnp so that’s not a problem at all but I like Roon more so how do I set up my gear to be able to play 24/192?

Hello @Janne_Alanampa

It appears from your screenshot that your master output for your headphones is turned down all the way.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 2.23.00 PM

If you adjust that slider do you get sound from the headphone out?

The sliders are greyed out so I can’t adjust them

This is normal if you have set up your output device in Roon with exclusive access. In my case it looks the same, even if currently playing music from the optical digital output of my Mac:

Try to play 96/24 or have Roon downsample your 192/24 content to 96/24, to make sure your optical output is working fine.

You could probably connect your Topping DAC via USB to the MacBook, and going with the analog output of the DAC to one of the analog inputs of your receiver. In this case I would make sure the receiver isn’t going to digitize your analog input again… I don’t have experience with that device, but your manual should have that information for you.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying this for me Andreas, much appreciated!
I will try with topping and it’s analog outputs and hope the damn Onkyo will play along.

1 Like

If it were me, I would configure Roon to downsample to 96/24. This would very probably give you the best sound. And I bet you wouldn’t be able to hear any difference between 192/24 and 96/24, anyway.

2 Likes

And I assume that there is no way to run Roon through ethernet only like I can with Audirvana?