Roon Client running on MacBook Pro MacOS 12.2.1, Roon version 1.8 Build 913

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wifi (Linksys meshwifi + Ethernet (1GB)

Connected Audio Devices

Devialet Phantom II + KEF LS 50 Wireless II

Number of Tracks in Library

5,000 tracks

Description of Issue

all tracks work except AAC files that are not played (AAC files bought on iTunes) when the core is running on NAS. however, when core was on Macbook, ROON was able to play these files. Moreover, Plex server is installed on NAS too an can play these AAC files, when ROON cannot. So far, running short of a solution.

Hi @Pierre_Lafon and welcome to the forum.

Did you provide your own ffmpeg decoder?

You can find suitable ffmpeg here.

1 Like

thank you very much for your quick answer and suggestion. just done that and installed this version of ffmpeg build: ffmpeg-git-20220302-amd64-static.tar.xz

but it doesn’t work better. I still cannot play AAC files directly from the Roon installed on NAS (Roon server on SSD drive). files are identified by Roon, Burt stop short of playing them

Make sure the new ffmpeg is actually used by Roon (read above). If this is the case and Roon is still unable to play your AAC files bought from iTunes, then they are likely DRM protected. Roon doesn’t support DRM protected files (like for example M4P).

here is what I find the txt file: 13.03.22-11:39:28 — ffmpeg: /bin/ffmpeg

not sure if Roon can find/use this file. moreover, for recent iTunes files (>2009) DRM have been removed and to mitigate above: when I run the core on a MacBook Pro, AAC file works. same when I am playing the files from Plex server on NAS (same NAS). hence, I am not sure it is a problem of DRM but rather a problem of decoder used by ROON when running on Synology NAS

That doesn’t look like the one you were supposed to install (RoonOnNAS/bin/ffmpeg).

Thank you BlackJack, but I would need some guidance fro there. went to download the ffmpeg file amd64 on John Van Sickle website. put it on appropriate directory. stop and restart Roon server. so if it is not the right fiel that ca be found here John Van Sickle - FFmpeg Static Builds, where can I find it?

I already gave you guidance by providing a link to a post where it is described how to install it correctly, just scroll up and read it (again).
Hint: Extract the ffmepg file from the compressed .tar.xz archive you downloaded and copy it into the RoonOnNas/bin folder.

If you don’t know how to open compressed archives with your Mac, then maybe a Mac user is able to give you some guidance on that.

this is exactly and precisely what I have done. ffmpeg is exactly in the right folder:roonserver/roononnas/bin. When decompressing the file I obtain a unix executable file. when uploaded to the server, not sure the system recognise the file and is able to execute it.

Sounds to me like it’s time that @crieke takes a look at your issue then.

Thank you BlackJack @crieke would you have any further suggestion?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.