I Can't Take It Anymore!

My first pathological dislike for a musician was for BS. I think it must have been BITUSA being played on the jukebox all the time. I’m sure he’s a lovely guy but can’t stand his music.

I have his albums in my library but no desire to hear him.
I’d just delete the albums - problem sorted.

4 Likes

Thank god, now I know how to remove Jackson Browne.

To ban particular Artists from Roon Radio see here.

Just turn off the Roon Radio and no BS after TRS, that’s simple!
IMHO, Roon Radio does song selection quite good, and BS relates to the same genre as TRS. I found Roon Radio quite useful in case I want to discover some new music that meets my current mood after listening my favourite artist. But most of the time I keep Roon Radio off e, because I’d like to listen the whole album from particular artists and don’t want to spoil impression I’ve got with other randomly selected music, even it meets the genre perfectly.

2 Likes

I still rely on a 5th gen iPod as my portable device. I know it’s MP3 and pretty basic but I don’t mind the quality hit. I can pick up one device and have my collection with me wherever I go. It’s had a few mods and repairs over the years and I love it dearly. When I lost my rucksack with 3K + of tech gear in it (returned intact), the only thing that bothered me was the iPod as it’s trickier to replace.

It’s never been introduced to Randy Travis and knowing what I know now, I’ll keep it that way.

Maybe it’s getting Sticky Fingers mixed up with Born in the USA? -

6 Likes

I still use my 5th gen iPod in my office (not the new one at home where I’m listening to Quads).

You can use apple lossless on it, but I never bother. I run it into a topping switching amp with bluetooth (for podcasts from the phone) and a pair of little dayton speakers from parts express. It’s the price of a table radio, and not much larger, but the sound quality is much better.

I did some hot-rodding to my iPod. I pulled out the spinning rust drive and dropped in a SD card on a carrier. I then replaced the battery. I get insane battery life now with no moving parts the power draw is much less. But it always lives plugged in a dock with the little white apple remote to control it.

In another thread, someone had stated that he takes no interest in artists or their writing/composition. For him, it is solely about hearing songs, apparently without concern for the message or inspiration.

By contrast, what went into a song, what it implies about the artist/band, the kind of people they are, what were the intended implications of the album…is the core of what interests me.

Whether it is shows like Behind the Music (from the past) or explanations on YouTube of the intent of the music…those are the foundation for why I like an artist. Without this, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, or the second side of Abbey Road would not mean much (to me).

My .02

That’s the game changing mod, I have a 250GB iPod with a couple of micro SD slots spare. The only downside is it’s a JBOD arrangement so extending the storage means starting from scratch and reloading. Spinning that little drive does suck the juice.

Really interesting @7NoteScale. I definitely used to be the former - I listened to the songs but either didn’t listen to or wasn’t too bothered about the content of the lyrics or the meaning behind the song. I would pick up the “feel” of the song from the words, but wouldn’t tend to analyse it in its entirety. Nowadays I am a little more interested in the message and what it says about the band - but for me, that’s still intellectualising it too much. For me, music is more about the music itself, the feeling you get from a song and getting “lost” in it - just enjoying it. Intellectualising about the music or meanings brings me out of the music and into the realm of thoughts.

2 Likes

To each, his/her own.

Concept albums were great stories put to music. The first I recall in which I was interested was “Tommy”. Many songs simply stand on their own, but concept albums, by design were/are different. I do not believe that one needs to know the writer’s meaning or inspiration, but in some instances, it enhances the music. I am not a listener of opera, but opera’s core is the story. So, some albums (Eg. Tea for the Tillerman) are a collection of songs. Others (Eg. Wish You Were Here) are a tale interpreted via music. Roger Waters became driven to express a series of thoughts and values about his father via his writing, but the songs certainly could stand even if you did not know this.

1 Like

I am not certain, but isn’t Springsteen trying to sound Okie as Dylan did/does. The Stones, likely because of their inspiration from Muddy Waters, certainly attempted to sound Southern in some early songs.

1 Like

For me, that’s the key. If the story isn’t in the music, it doesn’t matter. If it is, all you need is the music. But I think the lyrics are also important – it’s not just the tune – which is why I was so happy when Roon added support for user-provided lyrics tags.

1 Like

The Stones are gods, Springsteen … not so much…

1 Like

Room radio always seems stuck on the same handful of artists, regardless of genre. If I understood the explanation from a while back, it is based mainly on collected thumbs up/down from roon users, and that it will learn over time. Also, it was my understanding that it doesn’t apply your specific thumbs up/down to tailor your specific likes/dislikes, but instead uses them collectively to teach the radio engine.

If that’s how it works, it would seem there are a couple of problems. One, I don’t obsessively watch the queue giving thumbs up/down while listening. That seems too much like work. But mainly, it seems that, unlike Spotify or Apple, roon does not have enough users to make the data meaningful.

Lately I’ve taken a different approach. When I’m in a discovery (shopping?) mood, I use the recommendation feature. When an album or artist I like comes on, I bring up the album and look at the recommendations for similar. I add the ones of interest to my library, then go look at the recommendations for those albums and so on. You can do this all day! I guess this is sort of what radio does, but I can be more selective. Plus, it seems like I’m able to dive deeper or look broader than radio.

I have bookmarks set up for various genres/moods, and 99% of the time the new albums get automatically included where they should be. If not, I edit the genre as appropriate. Then when I want a personalized radio style playback, I pick one of the bookmarks depending on mood and hit shuffle play.

1 Like

The Stones are gods to a certain age group. People under forty mostly make fun of them.

Let’s face it, Jagger is 77 years old. How relevant can he be?

BTW - I saw the Stones in Dillion Stadium, Hartford, CT. in 1969. :wink:

I saw them in 1971. I like the `Stones, but the concert was a noise-fest. Loud, harsh and painful. We left at the 75% mark with tinnitus for the rest of the evening. And it was a very expensive concert. I believe it was $10 per ticket. I thought Sticky Fingers was a great album.

I’m sorry, but just what is Brucie trying to tell us with that prominent red hanky?

2 Likes

Well, not my age group, LOL. I am definitely in the Stones are okay, but, Bruce is in the god pantheon.