I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Please see https://community.roonlabs.com/t/is-there-any-sound-quality-improvement-with-the-new-roon-1-8-what-are-the-improvements-if-any/ if you have any doubts as to where I stand on this, and/or wonder where a conversation of this nature can go.

1 Like

Many thanks

So, not in the Support Category then. Suggest that you edit the title to move it into that category if you want a response from them.

Why do people say that beta testers should be fired ?

MANAGEMENT should be fired for letting it happen and allow it to be relased.

How do you know that beta testers did not report all that but were ignored ?

6 Likes

All good here, painless upgrade on my Nucleus.

Apps on MacBook, iOS on iPhone and iPad working well. Love the vertical scrolling

Radio Paradise sounds great.

Love the new look, great job from the dev team!

4 Likes

I had it in Support and @dylan moved into software category. Who figures…

I don’t see a waveform at all anymore.
Closest to it is a little 3 bar histogram doing a jig next to the current track in the queue display.

Well said, I totally agree.

2.5M tracks is a fair number, are you running a local streaming service for a small mountain community? I really need to broaden my musical tastes, though it would over 15 years to listen to all that music 24/7.

On a serious note, Roon’s memory management has always seemed excessive, if not leaky. Its possible the DB upgrades that were required gobbled up some extra memory, perhaps after a restart it will settle back down?

There for me. You have to know what the icons are or press, press, press which is annoying but I do have song credits available to me in the same location in the UI.

1 Like

His @Robert_Nogis and welcome to the Roon forum. Are we really talking 34GB of memory? That’s a lot. My workstation has 64GB of of RAM but that’s on the high side. I admit it does sound like you know exactly what you’re talking about, but just for clarity.

My one and only complaint so far is that the Queue button has shrunk and been moved too close to the Play/Skip Froward buttons. There’s all that blank space where it used to reside. Why not move it back to where it was and enlarge it? Am I the only one who goes to the Queue and tweaks their playlist?

It is worth mentioning that the reason people are complaining is because there are legitimate issues with the 1.8 release: ranging from bugs which will likely be quickly fixed, to removal of existing functionality, to repositioning of existing functionality so that it takes more clicks to use it.

Peoples preference or not for the the new look and want for any new functionality is insignificant compared to making some of the previous 1.7 functionality worse in 1.8.

Most of the criticism I have read is pretty fair.

2 Likes

The entire discussion is a 1st world problem, not wasting my time on it any further. It is an over-hyped, but botched software update. I can use it and that is all I am asking for right now

2 Likes

Not even down in the Play bar?

I’m sorry, but I fully agree with this statement. I’ve been an avowed Roon fan for 3 years now. Until now. Now it is the first time that I think about whether the purchase of 2 x lifetime was the right decision.

My opinion, which no one has to share, is that the design is terrible. 40 people now work at Roon. Apparently there is no designer who takes care of the appearance and the logical structure of the surface. Before we had a consistent design line, now there are squares for the albums, round heads for artists and composers and “My Live Radio” has mutated into rounded mini-squares. Not to mention this incredibly blue background. The whole thing is crowned by a considerable number of small to large bugs.

I was also involved in the so-called beta test since last Saturday. After just 15 minutes, a number of errors that could not be overlooked became apparent. Which of course cannot be remedied within 5 days.

I am seriously wondering how to schedule a so-called beta test 5 days before the release date. Why doesn’t that happen much earlier? And why don’t the guys see their own mistakes? Because you forget that outside of NY there is a tiny bit of the rest of the world that speaks a different language? And because you don’t test that like so many other things?

It wasn’t up to the beta testers, the bugs and limitations of the software were all named. Some have warned against releasing the software at this stage of development. But you also need someone who wants to listen …

14 Likes

Oh, I know, I know…I was wondering if I should add a ‘bits are bits’ line as signature, but there is a chance they might find out where I live :rofl:
The worst bit is that over at ASR you find a few people who are pretty much the same, just at the other extreme. Ah well, it shows people still care about sound quality :wink:

1 Like

I never thought I’d write these words: Good God, people, keep your shirts on.

It might not be perfect, but 1.8 fixed a lot of problems such as the godawful search function. I can now find stuff quickly and relatively accurately.

Has everyone forgotten the disaster that was 1.6? This version at least functions somewhat normally from the get-go.

Has Roon bragged too much? Probably, but that’s nothing new. We should be used to that.

7 Likes

My server has 128GB in it and I’m doubling that to 256GB. Cheers for the welcome. Roon alone is using 34GB (climbed to 35 between then and now).

Share is still completely useless. Seriously who share music via images? Kandinsky?
See the “sharing” thread on this forum.

1 Like