I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Absurd because 1) only a small percentage of Roon subscribers are active on this forum, 2) running a company by vote is no way to run any company, 3) people are going to complain about change no matter how much input they had.

14 Likes

There is some balancing to do, and I am sure there will be tweaks. For now, just keep a chill on this. It’s really not the end of the world.

1 Like

Using 1.8 on Win10, OSX, iOS and Android all attached to a standlone Linux Core

All works just as it did before

I can listen to music anywhere in the house, all controlled from my phone

UI is not better, or worse, than before - it’s just different. Same as OSX and Win10 are different. You can acomplish all the same stuff using either, but you just do it differently

Not a great fan of the position of Roon Radio TBH and in an ideal world the highlight colour could be selected from a small palette rather than being stuck with purple, but it’s really not worth the angst on display here IMO

Just enjoying my music :wink:

5 Likes

That’s the sad state of (almost) all the software today: everybody knows how to write code but nobody has any idea anymore about how to write an application.

3 Likes

With so many bugs in iPad (crash, setting menu, now playing acting strange) I have to wunder: Has the app been tested and QA`ed at all? I guess moderator is deleting this message but it is a shame that Roon has changed what was working fine into a third rate product.

1 Like

Well, I like some of the changes, don’t like others. Overall I like more than I don’t. Generally it works well for me. Sound great. For my config, so far, stable. Running off Roon Rock and using ipad and other devices.

Having read a lot of the comments in this thread I think that there is a great deal of dramatic over-reaction combined with genuine disappointments or technical issues. A calm dialog on the latter and I’m sure the folk at roon will set out fixing.

7 Likes

Wow. I am glad to say 1.8 is working as smoothly as 1.7 on my system. My only disappointment is that. The waveform has been made so small.

1 Like

Super slow on my windows version. Does not crash but just about unusable.

Did you report it as a bug under Support? I can’t see it.

Perfect. Thanks

Short answer: No. Otherwise we would not see such a mess.

There are two possible scenarios now:

1. Either the CEO and his staff are leaning back and waiting until this storm of customer complaints blows over,
  2. Or the team of software developers are panicking, and working frantically to come up with bug fixes, and layout alterations.

Since i have not received an official email by Roon yet, addressing the problem areas, it is my guess that the first scenario is unfolding. Adaptation to change takes time right ? Wrong Roon.

Either way, despite all the efforts, i think Roon has misjudged this update. They will be losing customers by the dozens, if not hundreds.

4 Likes

This UI redesign seems like a public beta test, right? I am sorry to say but this is quite a debacle for the Roon platform.

Serious bug on iOS:

The iOS app (iPad 2019 10.2 ", iOS 14.2) crashes when scrolling through playlists. This error does not (!) depend on the language settings.

The only aspect that I currently appreciate about 1.8 is the better accessibility on the tablet (portrait orientation is now supported). But accessibility also means that UI elements must have an appropriate font size. Some of them are much too small.

A downgrade to 1.7 until the main issues have been fixed is not possible either? Hope you can roll out updates soon.

greetings
Hans

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree!

1 Like

:rofl:

///

5 Likes

Well, the memory and CPU optimizations should not affect the data packets carrying the 1s and 0s to the streamer/DAC (certainly not if the DAC is not directly connected).
And if you use DSP, it of course isn’t going to be bit perfect anymore :smirk:

Has anyone else using Roon Core on Linux (local storage, not networked) found that memory usage has increased significantly? I’ve gone from around 20GB, even when scanning and analyzing new files, to nearly 34GB of usage. Other bugs or things I’ve noticed: the first time launch crashed and forced a relaunch, and due to the new memory needs (apparently?) it took nearly 50% longer to launch as it allocated that much memory for itself. I have an absolutely enormous library (over 2.5 million local tracks by now) but I never saw memory usage climb over ~22GB. Created this forum account to post about 1.8 because I’ve had few complaints before. I am scanning/adding new tracks but that doesn’t seem to add up to such a huge memory use increase, as I never saw it climb so high before 1.8.

Hopefully with all this complaining there will be some sweet deals on all the used Nucleus that will soon be available on ebay. :rofl:

3 Likes

Why mine can play any songs with explicit badge? Is there any setting to change this?