I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

I could well be mistaken but I’d wager it was more a “forcing” rather than “letting”, its usually management that insists on deadlines and hype.

Also its entirely possible they just don’t have the people with the necessary experience, they wen’t from building desktop software to having to do a lot “in the cloud”, maybe they have never done load testing before etc.

1 Like

New small search box is also terrible. Isn’t sharing a central feature of this thing?

4 Likes

I actually now found quite a few records where the count is correct. I dont know the logic behind it. Does it count library differently vs. streams?

I now figured some benefit of the feature: You can filter tracks based on a certain performer/composer in larger box set by tapping on the track count. Once qgain, great intention, poor execution.

So up to someone from Roon to tell us how this thing counts…

1 Like

I’m definitely going to try a restart but I will note that when I first updated Roon to 1.8, memory usage climbed to around 33GB, then Roon crashed entirely and restarted itself, and now here I am at 35GB.

I have to report, all good here now and it is way to early for me to pass comment, but not unhappy.
Slight issue with updating my Mac Book Air, in fact had to uninstall v7 and reinstall v8.
No other dramas.
Im in the minority by the look.

1 Like

I have worse problems. Roon can see my audio devices but cannot select them for playback. A software that only works from time to time should not be so expensive.

1 Like

Using IPad Pro with IOS 14.4 Roon crashes when going into settings.
On IPhone 11with IOS 14.3 the settings menu shows OK.
On my laptop screen only the settings / general tab is visible, all the other tabs are gone.
Sad to see.

Running on Mac. At launch, beach balling 180% CPU. Congrats. You bricked it.

1 Like

I am having several crashes on iPad - English version

That wasn’t the beta test. The release itself is the beta test.

6 Likes

No one is saying such criticism is unfair; after all, bugs after major releases are commonplace for ANY maker, big or small. But my point still stands: probably the vast majority is ok with 1.8 (even if hiccups may exist) and won’t bother posting here.

Resetting the core machine fixed this problem for me.

You are, like me, part of the “minority” in a thread created to highlight the negatives. No surprises there. Just don’t think this encapsulates the perception of most users.

I for one like v1.8 so far. Like many of us, my runtime is brief. I like the new look. I was initially disappointed I couldn’t find DISCOVER, but I eventually did far down the HOME screen.

3 Likes

I think Roon 1.8 is a Massive Success. Of course, there are some technical issues that I’m sure Roon will address as quickly as possible. For instance, if you can’t get to the Roon - Settings page, that’s a problem. Or, if the fonts are too small to be read on your Roon control device, etc.

That said, I think it’s way too early for Roon to worry because someone doesn’t like purple or doesn’t like where the “like” button is, etc. Those design elements are, for the most part, a matter of opinion and preference. What one person likes, someone else might not.

I suggest everyone try and work with Roon Support to resolve any technical issues that prevent you from using Roon and listening to music. Give the Roon team some time to get those resolved. Then, at an appropriate time, worry about what colors you like and don’t like, etc.

PS: I have no technical issues with Roon using a Nucleus, Dell XPS 15, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, Oppo 203, and two RPi4 end-points feeding a Meridian Prime and Dragonfly Cobalt.

17 Likes

Then we now have over 100,000 beta testers. That takes us further. There used to be the joke of the so-called banana software. It ripen at the customer. :rofl:

1 Like

You are right, Jim, I will give the Roon team time to resolve the “problems”. After carefully reading all 226 posts I will not upgrade to 1.8, 1.7 is running perfect, I will wait…
Greetings from Gernamy, Lambert

1 Like

Also wanted to chime in to say I’m loving the new update. I think it’s a considerable improvement. I always thought the previous version looked a little like it was designed by nerds instead of designers. That has its merits, but now it’s slicker and more professional looking.

The apps have not crashed on me once. I also think they fixed the iOS bug I found most annoying. Now the UX is ‘sticky’: it will keep my place in the track list or elsewhere when I leave and then return to the app. A most welcome fix.

I may be biased because I listen mostly to classical, but I think the wins there were clear. And Roon Radio continues to be wonderful.

4 Likes

My point though is that some of the issues absolutely are bugs but others are because of a redesign of functionality that make the user experience objectively worse.

For example when viewing an album on the Android app at least, track numbers and track pick ticks have been removed as a design choice in 1.8; album rating is no longer on the main view yet release date is; to get to the album review text i have to click ‘INFO’ and then scroll it into view rather than have it on the main view as in 1.7. I could go on…

None of these are bugs just bad design choices that make the user experience suffer.

2 Likes

this shows you how debased roon is. 35GB ram usage to stream music. this software is amiss