I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

I agree; It upgraded easily for us without a problem and runs fine.

1 Like

Agree to the topic:

Sans serif font in 2021 as modern font?

No track numbers any more on albums and play lists. Why?

No album covers in Playlist any more on iphone. Why?

Many many crashes and screen artifacts. No proper testing performed before release.

More clicks to get to information that previously was more easy to access.

No ratings anymore. Why?

Too big album art taking too much screen space.

Too small font for tracks. Why? And why not configurable. That would really be an improvement.

I’ll stop for now.

8 Likes

People do not like change.

I agree that having a Beta group in advance makes sense. I would join to have input.

My Roon server is a W2K19 server on a HP 800 DM w/i7. I use an iPad, Android and Windows devices to control Roon.

I’m not having the problems most of you are having. The UI improvements I like. Better flow of information.

I’m a computer tech. We have a saying “Test it now, or test it in production.” Production is always what gets all the bugs worked out.

Be patience, grasshoppers…

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone here is suggesting Roon should be anything other than a first-world concern, but, if we’re on Roon’s website, in a Roon community forum, we’re likely to be discussing the pros and cons of using Roon.

If anything, your response is more dramatic than any of the reactions I’ve seen about the software thus far, and is well outside of its proper context. No one here is equating Roon to a real-life catastrophe outside of the folks who seem to have a difficult time hearing opinions which diverge from their own.

7 Likes

And many of those operations were accessible directly from the endpoint panel in 1.7. That was intuitive and ergonomic. Now you have to highlight the endpoint in a much reduced panel and then go to those central buttons in the footer, and finally you get to the queue.

2 Likes

I mostly agree with this general assessment so far. I would add that eliminating horizontal scrolling and not showing playlist and tag designations on the track listing are significant blunders. If this release did not go through Beta testing, I would agree with the assessment that the Roon team has failed in its responsibility to its clients. Sound quality has also changed and I’m not sure whether it is for the better. It sounds warmer now, which seems connected to a loss of inner detail.

1 Like

Chris I posted the workaround in the Feedback thread. It’s not too elegant I’m afraid.

Yeah, you could say the new interface is “airy”. It’s so “airy”, it’s mostly white. In fact, I would call it “cloudy”. I mean seriously, on a 15" screen, with the window taking the whole height, I can barely see the first title.

Now sometimes, I listen to a whole album, and there’s a big fat button for that. But if I want a specific track, I have to scroll. You might say it’s not a big deal, but what the heck is a music player for, if not playing tracks? It’s absolutely, completely, utterly dumb, just for the sake of “looking good”.

10 Likes

I was also involved in the so-called beta test since last Saturday. After just 15 minutes, a number of errors that could not be overlooked became apparent. Which of course cannot be remedied within 5 days.

This here is the one thing in all these discussions that gets my blood pressure up.
I have seen way too many people stating they have been invited to the beta test during the last week.

What on earth was the purpose of that? There is no way you can fix (never mind QA and push to Apple/Google) anything someone might find before the release date.

The best case scenario is that Roon wanted to give some loyal users a sneak peek at the finished software, and the real beta test (with testers who know they need to keep their mouths shut during and after the beta) was long over by then.
If that’s the case, I can only urge Roon to have a more diverse group of beta testers next time. Yes, more testers increase the risk of leaks, but I’m sure someone can write up an NDA with teeth…

Of course, it might also be that the original intention was to actually fix those bugs in time for the release, and then the target release date leaked (and became a hard date). In that case, I guess the end user response may lead to a different decision next time :wink:

10 Likes

You can get the track numbers back, it’s in the general settings. It seems they decided to make some of the changes optional, which frankly is good, but then implemented them without letting you know what was going on.

If they’re gonna go down that road, they need to produce one of those “What’s new?” videos with their new releases.

2 Likes

It gets worse. I did a quick test from search to playback, and here are my results:
18 seconds to complete a search (Charlie Parker)
20 seconds to load Charlie Parker
36 seconds to load an album I clicked on
34 seconds to start playing (which didn’t work when I clicked on “Play Now”, I had to click on the first track to play the album).
All in all almost two minutes, just to start playing an album. How is that possibly acceptable? What can that memory be used for if search and everything else is so slow? Performance has noticeably worsened since 1.7 (though I didn’t time anything before) despite memory usage nearly doubling. Playback itself is fine once it starts, but getting to that point is abominable.

4 Likes

And the practise of opt-in public beta is well established. I see no reason why Roon couldn’t adopt that, allowing for extended levels of feedback etc,

2 Likes

I agree with this. I think that perhaps the devs are trying too hard with the UX/UI. For me Roon is first and foremost a library manager, a way for me to easily navigate my collection. All the wasted space and huge graphics requires more effort to browse my music. While I appreciate all the neat features I would rather have a more efficient browsing experience so I can actually find what I want to listen to.

5 Likes

I suggest that you raise a support ticket, something’s wrong.

I just repeated that test, the search took 2 seconds and everything else was sub 1 second, i.e. instant.

Font size 2 pixels for artist name?

I concur,

I thought it was my local network playing tricks on me, but it has happened numerous times now. The search function takes forever. Unacceptable, really.

I can’t find the setting to enable track numbers in general settings. Can you indicate where?

Great album, though!

1 Like

I said this earlier in one of the threads. Roon absolutely needs a wider beta program. It’s quite possible that Roon doesn’t care to cast a wider net for beta-testers because, if they did, there might be more pressure and expectation on them to act on these bug reports prior to launch, and, they simply may not have the capacity to do it.

Other than that, I don’t see much of an excuse any longer as to why they can’t. As it stands, the early upgraders to a new release are the wider beta-testers, and, they really shouldn’t be.

1 Like