I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Restart of the core helped for me, but that‘s a No Go

I use the English version but not seeing the massacre that was described except for the too-small font, but still on my 60 days trial, was going to buy lifetime, now need to monitor those conversations

I did it, and hope I can survive on 1.7 for at least a bit longer :slight_smile: It involves 2 aspects - the core and your remotes. But you had to act before the rollout - for the remotes, I suspended auto-updates of apps on my phone and tablet so the new app wouldn’t get installed without my explicit action. And for the core, same thing - I already had the option selected to get notified of updates. Now I get a banner telling me there’s an update whenever I fire up Roon. I keep dismissing it…

In short, if your apps are still in 1.7 and your core is too, you’re golden - just ensure that your apps and your core won’t auto-update. If either of them have already auto-updated, unfortunately you’re out of luck.

It is indeed available on the iPad version. Not in the iPhone version.

So iphone version does not have numbered album and play lists and also no album art in Playlist. Can’t see the improvement here.

1 Like

Agree,I want alphabetical search back too !!

“im sure they will but give them time”??

i think you are missing the point - 1.8 should not have been released.
you dont do a ui overhaul on software we pay $$$$ for without having options of not having new interface for one.

The rest of the issues just confirm this was rushed out for marketing reasons, and not for end users benefit.

4 Likes

The man is a paid chatterbox …

6 Likes

OMG thank you so much for that laugh! That was so funny and much needed this morning :rofl:

I have installed 1.8 on an iPad 12.9 an oldish Huawei phone running an out of date android 6.0 (due to block by google) and it has worked with no problems at all for me. I was surprised the phone worked tbh as all the problems I was reading whilst at work I thought it would be no good.

The only thing I have noticed is this web site is running slower than usual, maybe because of more traffic atm…

Almost every time I have had a problem with Roon, it has turned out to be a network problem.
In a way this has made my home network more robust because by sorting out the problems Roon high lighted has got me to sort it out properly.

For any iPad users there was an iOS update today so if it has been crashing maybe do the update on that.

For people having problems I am sure it will get sorted.

I do have problems in German ipad-Version. If I want to open „Einstellungen“ Roon disappears. There are no interprets in my playlists anymore…
In Englisch ipad-version it works fine

It’s not a “massive failure”, but it does need tweaking. Constructive feedback will help with that.

2 Likes

Sorry, here the Dutch version isn’t working proper either :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1.8 is the apex of all the constructive feedback roon got and successfully ignored for years.

6 Likes

Right? Fire the beta testers who aren’t employees, but let this product ship when none of the users within the company notice shuffle is broken, that their bookmarks and focus queries needed to be rebuilt and are now missing significant chunks of data in many cases?

You’re telling me the CEO down to the graphic designer isn’t using Roon to do a 5 minute check of basics?! It’s insane anyone would think that’s normal or that it’s ok to let something ship without being aware of the quality.

8 Likes

Usually only appears on Library tracks under the play/pause. It’s a straight line for streaming music. I like it because it gives me a visual of the dynamic range if some recordings. When some tracks are highly compressed (just about everything in the 1990s

It is is indeed missing from the phone (iphone and android) interface. I’m happy with 1.8, but would like the track numbers back. I’m assuming it’s gone so as to accommodate font size increases on phone versions, so might not be easy to return.

A post was merged into an existing topic: iOS devices crashing on 1.8 [Roon Investigating]

A post was split to a new topic: Can’t access Tidal, can’t access settings

totally agree, Roon 1.8 is a complete mess…

At the home screen what is that blue purple recent activity screen ! Yark
On the home screen all graphics are squares or rectangle. But when we scroll down to recent artist
Boom now it’s circle. Why now keep the square or rectangle form ?

Focus for album will show xxx of xxx album from the focus filter. Ex 105 of 900 albums
Artist will work the same way
But for tracks it doesn’t show how many tracks from total when using Focus. This was available in Roon 1.7

Album view
I like the Roon 1.7 more. All the files stats was perfect under the Album art. Now it’s more on the left side with the BIO taking too much place and all the tracks are too far below. And again the artist in circle instead of keeping the square or rectangle from.

Roon Radio
Why use all the bottom of the screen to show Roon Radio next song !

Waveform
Why make it so small it was perfect before with Roon 1.7

Roon 1.8 vs 1.7 is a step down in my opinion. Very strange graphical interface and colors.

8 Likes

I am sorry to say that version 1.8 is a disgrace.
To give just one example, when trying to change the settings in the menu, the entire program breaks down again and again.
I appreciate Roon, but the biggest problem with the software remains.
For example, if I enter the term Beethoven in the search, Roon finds 32 albums.
If you use the Beethoven link under composers, there are 534 albums.
534 of actually existing 950 albums, which Audirvana, for example, finds easily with a simple search.
A solution to this problem would have had absolute priority, and leads me to the consideration to cancel my subscription, also due to the imposition to offer the customer for really expensive money an absolutely unstable software as a stable version.

19 Likes