I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Same here. I went to great lengths to document bugs (somewhat obscure, granted, but reproducible and consistent) and after some initial response from the team, requests for logs, etc., their interest (and responsiveness) fizzled away. That was almost 2 yrs ago, and I’ve abandoned any hope that they will ever be fixed at this point.

3 Likes

That … or the minority is not a minority - and happily playing music? Could be!
(from a Dutchman, happily exiled in Devon :wink:)

1 Like

Oh I’m currently in bed with my headphones on, it’s absolutely possible to happily play music while complaining on a forum.

1 Like

I have similar experiences, I had hoped that those would have been addressed in this release, but …

I’m astonished - because I have been a computer programmer/analyst and design architect. If we had ever released software to have it ‘tested’ in production then we would have (quite legitimately) been sacked.

I guess it depends on the nature of software you produce. If you are writing a free throwaway game then I guess that might be fine. If you are writing a system for financial services or to control an aeroplane then I guess you had better have tested the software pretty thoroughly before implementation or release.

A music control application enjoyed by a hundred thousand or so users -Mmm!

6 Likes

Aron, could you please post a screenshot (or two) of what it looks like in that resolution?

I would like to comment on 1.8 update but Roon can’t find my core. My Android tablets updated, but I can’t find my core. Reloaded software with no luck. I guess I will delete Roon and download again. When I pay good money for something, I guess I am stupid, but I expect it to work, and not have to spend 4 hours messing with it. I realize that the people who are very good with tech may have no problem, but as an older guy, like many of the Roon customers, going around in circles is a pain in the ass.

2 Likes

I suspect that Roon has outsourced its hardware platform, data storage and design partners to an entirely different hosting platform with release 1.8 - which explains why there is a complete separation between the two versions.

Thus, John Darko would have been sharing the new platform with a handful of users whilst the rest of us remained on version 1.7. He wouldn’t have encountered any of the problems associated with mass concurrent usage that now appear to be manifesting themselves in production. But, how could he not have noticed the dreadful new UI?

A move to a (cheaper?) completely new platform with a new outsourced design partner influenced by social media and forum design forms would explain a lot - including some of the truly awful design decisions taken with the new UI.

1.8 was installed on my Nucleus… and the result is that it completely changed the sound. I’m using the Nucleus connected to a Rockna Wavelight DAC. I tried various DACs for years and could never get the sound the way I wanted… and now I’m right back to crappy sound… just a terrible update/ upgrade! Very disappointed… now I’m faced with unlistenable file music that I’ve come to depend on. I’m ticked!

James, in all honesty, I don’t think the sound is any worse in 1.8 - colour me skeptical. Now, the UI…

1 Like

And probably playing music via version 1.7, having sensibly declined to risk moving to version 1.8.

No change in sound for me, Meridian DSP SE. Sounded great before and sounds great now… The app is working great (IPad Pro) and I spent some time getting to know it and I now know where to look to find things. QNAP i3 16GB ram.
The overall look is great, i am now using dark mode. Love the focus feature for zoning in on or excluding stuff.
I have enjoyed some great recommendations today and also tried Roon Radio for the first time with great effect.
There were some initial glitches that were probably due to the Roon servers being swamped but they have all cleared up now.
CPU use is low 4% Ram at 20% System normal.
Great job Roon, I’m sure any final wrinkles will be worked out fairly soon.

1 Like

I completely agree!

I truly don’t understand how anyone can possibly prefer the new UI! Obviously, quite a few people do though - I suspect most of them will be using version1.8 via apps on phones or small tablets in portrait mode. However, since one of the joys of Roon (pre version 1.8) was its visual appeal that cannot possibly be appreciated on small devices, I can’t imagine that they constitute the majority of Roon users.

4 Likes

Roon 1.8 looks great on my Dell XPS 15 (4K) and iPad Mini 4.

1 Like

My biggest problem with new software, so is with Roon is the developers touching the UI - just for the sake of doing something new - please DON’T. If there are no complaints about the UI, just leave it be.
Microsoft and Google both (to me) ruined their e-mail UI back in the day…because they felt like doing so and there was no way to opt out.
I get the same feeling with Roon - someone thought “Hey, we’ve made so many technical upgrades, let’s make a new UI!” without thinking twice - why.
I think that Roon has made a major mistake by simply pushing the new UI, to me they should’ve started with a beta containing a toggle between the old and new UI and gather feedback from the community first.

It’s not that it looks bad but it’s just so dysfunctional compared to the old interface. Lot’s of unnecessary space, stuff moved without reason and so on.
Some things are simply broken, the marked things just do nothing.

7 Likes

Ui is nice but please, give me my bookmarks back on my android smartphone (still have them on my tablet)!
Or can somepne let me know where they are?

There were a lot of complaints about the UI of version 1.7! Therefore it is only logical that Roon has put the focus on this.

4 Likes

I agree, love the font, vertical scroll, organization of display elements, etc. it’s a success in my opinion (iPad latest OS)

7 Likes

You have to tap for the sidebar, then tap on the bookmarks icon in the upper right hand side of the sidebar. It’s so annoying and seemingly one of the places bookmarks would be most important to quickly access, not tap for a menu to get to them. Doesn’t even match the UI of all other views. There’s a thread I made on the front page if you want to chime in with your displeasure over this poor decision.

1 Like

Open the hamburger (main) menu on the left, top line, next to your profile symbol.

1 Like