I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Disagree with statement 1.8 is a Massive Failure!

UI is not to my liking (yet) though probably will get used to it.

Currently running two setups, ie. NAD M10 and Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra through Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital - controlling Roon through iPad Pro (2020) / iPadOS 14.5 and iPhone Xs / iOS 14.5 and through subject remotes all is functioning fine without any fail.

NAD M10 runs on firmware 3.12.13 and Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra on RopieeeXL latest beta 3.076.

Ergo, enjoying music - just like running 1.7 - from my NAS Synology DS620slim as well as Qobuz and Tidal subscriptions.

Experiencing no issues …… or I am not the power user others probably are.

If otherwise I would state without any reservation.

3 Likes

My point is no matter how much you test, users will find additional bugs.

The complaints Roon users are making my point.

2 Likes

Response noted and duly filed in its “proper context.”

Early days, but I really like it.

The glitches will be ironed out - it’s the nature of software development, especially with small development teams.

People should lower the temperature - Roon is a niche product which we all are much better for having, than not. This type of excessive criticism is really demoralising

9 Likes

I love it. Great job guys.

6 Likes

Hi Nathan,

in 1.7 you get a tag window with a list of all defined tags with a checkbox to select and deselect the assigned tags.
E.g. if you want to add two tags and remove one you open the tag screen mark the two tags and unmark the one you want to delete.

In 1.8 you need to click the circle with the 3 dots where you can select the action “Add tags”
then you get a list where you can select ONE tag. then the list closes and you see the tag added to the album. To add a second tag you need to repeat this.

To delete a tag you need to go to the list of albums with this tag there you can right-click the album to select it. Then you can use the action button where you find the remove tag action.

If your album list for a specific tag is very long you need to find your album fist in the long list before you can remove the tag. It works but it is way more complex compared to 1.7

4 Likes

It’s not a minor bug, not running on all operating systems, it’s an unacceptable major bug! If you want to sell your product in the whole world, it should run in the whole world.
I can‘t believe that this incomplete version was released!

1 Like

Update to 1.8, works for an hour, next time i switched on the Cocktail device is gone and no more playback possible. The X45 is only displayed for air play. Also no more settings available after update. 1.7 works fine with windows 10.

1 Like

I’m using a Nucleus and iPad in the UK and haven’t had any crashes yet.

I have though had quite a few occasions where Roon Radio won’t play tracks and skips to the next one.

1 Like

Disagree. It’s not excessive criticism. If you do or do not like the new UI overall is a separate issue. Stripping out functionality of features (tagging, bookmarks, shuffle for example) shows an excessive lack of user studies, communication and marketing. Not testing other locales while they crash accessing the menu settings shows that Roon’s QA team missed basic checks.

I’m all for change, but don’t sacrifice quality and then expect sunshine and roses from users who have just lost content from their bookmarks, see load times of their artist pages increasing exponentially, basic ui elements from past releases that are broken. It doesn’t feel like a finished product and that’s what is extremely demoralizing as someone who invested in a lifetime membership years ago.

23 Likes

Well stated.

I can’t change most of the settings on my desktop in Roon like the dark mode. The whole settings menu is broken as shown on my screenshot a few posts before…who tested this? Changing the language doesn’t help either.

100% Positive feedback from me. IMHO The new UI is gorgeous. Zero crashes.

I get it… It’s frustrating when you have problems with a new release. The good news is we have a responsive team at Roon that clearly wants to make the best product possible. I have great confidence that they will sort out the inevitable bugs.

Maybe, just maybe we should support them as 1.8 have certainly been a helluva lot of work. I think they deserve a high-five.

15 Likes

You’re absolutely correct. This is a thread for whiners, so those of us not so inclined should stay away. I hear you, agree and will now do that.

(But I’m pretty sure that when a “Roon 1.8 if a HUGE success” thread is created the whiners won’t be quite so restrained. Cuz “whiners gonna whine” when given the chance. Watch. :wink:)

6 Likes

That’s a profound endorsement of the release.

3 Likes

No issue here too.

Love this 1.8

It’s so great to have a classy Ui far from e-shop 1.7 used to be.

I wondering if the Ui not happy users are because 1.7 was here for to long and they are used to?

10 Likes

I finally revert back to Roon 1.7

I have the Roon installer v1.7 for windows on my backup drive. So I just reinstall Roon on Windows 10.
For the core I use a NUC with Windows 10 with only Roon Server.
So I reinstall Roon Server 1.7 on my NUC.

For Ipad I restore my ipad from a backup I have a week ago. I now took care to disable automatic apps update.

A bit of work but finally revert back to Roon 1.7 and i’m happy with it.
The only annoying is the popup to upgrade Roon everytime I use the ipad or Roon on windows 10

4 Likes

@Chris_KA thanks for the great explanation. That’s a noticeable reduction in functionality. I tag tracks individually with 4 or 5 tags per track. That’s going to make managing my library considerably more cumbersome. It makes sense that I wait for a while before updating, but this seems like a development decision and not easy to roll back so I will most likely have to get used to it, which is disappointing.

1 Like

Well I was about to update my systems to 1.8, but after finding and reading through this thread, I’m going to hold off for a bit until the dust settles. Reason being, if there’s going to be bugs, crashes and instabilities, I’m going to get them. Just my type of luck.

My current setup with 1.7 has been performing flawlessly now (I had a bit of a rocky trip a while back when I first got things up and running with Roon) for the past year or more, and I don’t want to risk going back to constant issues again.

Very strange this essential information isn’t displayed on the iPhone, which is standard on Spotify, Tidal, Apple Music etc