I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Agree on Tags, Roon stated they are restoring function.

What is your challenge with Playlists that now make them a nightmare?

Let’s all agree not to use adjectives when talking about fellow users.

3 Likes

Is that things don’t work or that things work differently? If the former is true then is this a deliberate decision made by Roon or is to a bug that needs fixing?

I replied to your post because you stated that Roon 1.8 was working fine for those who just press play. As I stated, it’s working fine for lot more features.

Roon may well implement some of the changes that people are asking for, but they may not.1.8 seems to mark a change in direction.

1 Like

Let me rephrase that for you… “users that only make superficial use of Roon’s capabilities”

There you go, that clearer and less likely to superficially offend?

Iv stated before a few times, I got Roon lifetime as it filled in all the album covers. I couldn’t stand all the ones iTunes left blank. That’s the best thing about it for me, I guess Iv hardly scratched the surface of the rest of it. Superficial? Probably. Happy bunny? Yes!

You superficially fixed it, yes.

Sorry you are having trouble. For me it was seamless and I like it. You can always uninstall.

Fantastic, I’m superficially pleased.

1 Like

Greetings. If you are having trouble upgrading to the new Roon system try deleting all Roon downloads on your devices. Then download the new version and everything should work fine. Frankly I don’t find the new version to be much of an improvement but at least you can use the service.

Referring to the desktop version:

The waveform is working. It’s just too small now to be used as a waveform… for people who used to do that.

The recommended albums is working. It’s just hidden at the bottom of the album screen. They change with every album and you used to see them by default, even if you weren’t thinking about looking for them. Now they’re out of view and must be manually sought out with every album change, but they’re working.

The currently playing song title and artist are working, but they are pushed to the bottom left of the screen and the artist is in a microscopic font. The song and title will both be truncated if either is long because there isn’t much room down there. But they work. 100% of the time.

The transport controls and the queue button are all working, but they’re all smaller and too close together.

The Discover feature is working, but it’s been removed from the main sidebar and pushed beneath two massive sections on home page telling me my name what I’ve been listening to lately… Things that I know quite well.

I could go on, but this is getting long.

Everything is working just fine.

11 Likes

In my case, I have DSD64s extracted from a collection of SACDs, which have a resolution almost the same as a 24-bit 96KHz PCM recording and not as much as a 24-bit 192KHz PCM recording. As I said before, I only have them because I extracted and transformed the files from my SACD collection.
Regarding Qobuz and Tidal and why I have both integrated into Roon, well, it is because there are many songs in HiRes that are not in MQA and vice versa. In short, in Roon I can maintain a collection of files in high quality. Regarding the latter, I think HiRes files sound the same as MQA files, as long as you have a fully MQA unfolding DAC. I hope I have been able to answer your questions.

Any alternatives if we don’t use Roon? It is a shame because up to 1.7 Roon core had ran perfectly on my Synology DS1019+. It started crashing repeatedly since the 1.8 “upgrade”… But I don’t know any other platform as replacement for Roon… Suggestions?

File a report in the support category, including all the relevant info, and hopefully it will get fixed.

1 Like

Yep - works on Roon for PC but NOT in the iOS app :frowning:

Audirvana is what I will test. NB I am a collector (playing my own music DB) not a streamer, and Playlist functionality is what is most important for me - apart from SQ. Since Roon doesn’t give a S##T about collectors or Playlist functionality I am starting to look for alternatives

1 Like

Hi guys it seems like a complaint I see quite often is about tagging…can someone please spell out the issue with it?

I use tagging alot to help organize and to find albums I have forgot about in my local library. …I think all the functionality is there from 1.7 but now, I’m not really sure

Thanks

Have Playlists really become worse? They were already stinking in 1.7. The thread “We want your ideas for Playlists!” was made in 2016 - that is 5 years ago. NOTHING has happened as far as I can tell. If we could just have a library browsing section to the left showing all artists-albums-songs (‘folder tree’) and the actual Playlist to the right to which you can drag albums or songs + the ability to mark several songs and drag them up-n-down in the playlist, then that in itself would be a HUGE improvement.
And what is the tech problem with copy-n-paste (or save-as) a playlist to a new playlist?

Roon team doesn’t give a sh#t about collectors or playlists. I never saw a survey: how many of Roon customers are (primarily) collectors - 1% - 10% - 25% - 50% - or …?

1 Like

Probably because a lot of users use tablets as remotes. I know I do except for 2 desktops that are in my office, and shop. I actually would prefer a mini mode on desktops.

Anybody knows if there’s a way to rollback to 1.7? The more I use the new one the more bugs I run into.

for mac or windows ,try to find some one who can share you a link on google drive or drop box to the link of the 1.7 installer.
for ios not sure but may be software like testflight would let you install if you can find the installation files from someone
or may be reach out to roon asking them , specifying that you would not expect support out of it if they are willing to share those older installer files.

1 Like