I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

C’mon guys, can we please chill out and stick to the facts, instead of all this meaningless hyperbole and griping??? Obviously, any problem you are experiencing in 1.8 was caused by a Space Laser.

6 Likes

Careful. You will get kicked off of your House committees with talk like that! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I just looked. Track numbers are available on iPad, but not iPhone. :slightly_frowning_face:

Oh, we may be pushed aside, but Q’aRoon will always lurk in the shadows…

3 Likes

And I bet we can decipher important Roon-changing events by interpreting the correct artist initials in their grey bubbles!

JRiver! It has UPnP, folder browsing, Boolean logic, and is certain streaming is just a fad. Plus, you don’t have to worry about anything changing. It’s basically been the same thing for the last five years.
The UI has that Ryker’s Island prison feel to it, if you like that sort of thing. I still use it.

2 Likes

Software types today think in terms of beauty rather than an intuitive, logical approach to solving a problem. I’m constantly arguing with my son over how software should be designed. An intuitive UI is imperative, but the end goal is functional and useable software. I’ve never used any MPD that allowed for easy playlist creation. Your suggestion would be a good first start!

1 Like

What bugs are specifically impacting you?

Why should we have to get “used to” a new version when the old one was working just fine? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!
That’s the problem with software ‘upgraditis’ just to give a new shiny look.

4 Likes

Thank you OP for your opinion, but that is all it is…

That button does not give you the options to shuffle like the play now button. It would be better if it was move to the left side below the album cover and above the list of tracks. That is where it used to be. It may have been moved to save vertical space and it is something that I’ll get used to. Certainly not something that will stop me from using Roon.

1 Like

I agreed with your assessment. I bought the Cambridge CXN V2 on his recommendation and was totally disappointed. i would never trust his reviews again. I will still read his stuff but will avoid all his recommendations.

2 Likes

Vst3 plug ins yet allowed? Abiut to switch to audirvana

Not strictly true, JRiver, Video, has changed massively over 5 years, Audio was already there and not much to change

The main UI is very old school yes but JRemote puts a human face on it on iOS or Android

What’s wrong withe CXN ?

Roon Ready, DLNA, Internet Radio, Tidal,Tidal Connect, Spotify Qobuz.

Excellent sound

They don’t pay me to say it

Three issues with tagging now:

Tracks don’t show anymore if they have associated tags.
You use to be able to “multi tag”, adding several tags in one go. Now it’s one by one, in an unwieldy menu (and there’s a pop up when you tag that in my case freezes Roon for half a second each time).
You use to be able to delete tags from the track/album menu, now you have to go to specific page and manage from there.

The first one makes knowing what still needs to be tagged near impossible. And if you’re tagging a couple of tracks, none of the other two are a problem. But when you try to tag say the equivalent of more than a couple of albums, the number of clicks required has made the process excruciatingly slow. Something that was fast and practical is now akin to reorganizing tracks in an unidentified album in Roon: you click, you click, and you click again, until you develop carpal tunnel syndrome…

I would strongly advise you wait for potential changes to the UI before you attempt to tag your library at this stage.

2 Likes

I guess you’re right, playlists are the ugly duckling of Roon. Still, playlists did become yet worst, by not showing which songs are in what playlist. With the lack of message telling you you’ve added a song twice, managing multiple playlists has become unpractical to the point of being impossible.

Mixed with the new issues with tagging, listening to selected parts of your music with a purpose has become considerably more difficult. Which is ironic, for while I am not affected by the 5,000 tracks limit on shuffling, listening to your music randomly has also become more difficult.

2 Likes

Apparently they have no idea how many users have used these functions every day. Each of my 2100 albums, which are stored on an SSD in the Rock Server, is marked with one or more TAG’s. I am just speechless …

2 Likes

Ok I do see it now…tagging albums with two tags at once is something that I’ve done before. I guess I didn’t realize because since 1.8, I haven’t needed to try to do that.

So I didn’t realize the tags not showing until right now, what I did notice before was that each track used to say if it was part of a Playlist. That seems to be gone.

And the delete issue, yeah I noticed that one myself…totally don’t understand why they did that.

Thanks for breaking it down for me

Yes, I agree, I’m not sure how they messed up this bad