I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Excellent, thanks! I’ll take a look. I did find one stupid user error. When I setup the NAS a couple months ago, I prevented auto-updates until I thoroughly tested it. Never turned it back on. I was still running Core 1.7 It works flawlessly via playback on my phone. I’m thinking I’ve uncovered a problem with my streamer hardware or a poorly terminated CAT6 cable/connector.

I was unfamiliar with the “color contrast formula”, so I found this page:
https://medium.muz.li/the-science-of-color-contrast-an-expert-designers-guide-33e84c41d156
which explains it.

Our in-house formula I mentioned earlier would allow medium gray text on a white background, which would mean the color contrast would be (1.0 + 0.05)/(0.5 + 0.05), or about 1.9, which is below the Web Accessibility guidelines. For white text on gray, the most we could do would have been white on 30% gray, or about 3. Still not the 4.5 required by the Web guidelines.

When I put in the purple-on-black (#696dc4 on #161616) text from the “dark theme”, I get 3.95, which isn’t bad, but still doesn’t pass the 4.5 requirement. I measured the purple at a different pixel, and got (#696fe1), which is even lighter, and gives a contrast measure of 4.27. So it’s close!

Note that the 4.5 is a minimum. The enhanced standard is 7.

1 Like

The ratings in the album overview were not included in the initial release of 1.8, not even as a setting. Roon reacted to user feedback and added the option in the settings in the first update, see its release notes.

1 Like

Don’t know if anyone has answered this yet, but 1.8 no longer numbers the tracks in my playlists.

correct, 1.8 no longer provides numbers for the tracks in your playlists.

I was talking about it to all my friends, or people asking question, real user.

Since the ALL NEW 1.8 version (build 64) get out, it’s more like a BIG ■■■■■ MAJOR bug everywhere, i want my precedent version back that was working perfectly well.

BAD CONCEPTION, BAD PREPARATION TO MARKET, BAD TUNING, BAD LOGIC USE

4 Likes

Whereas me - I am a big fan of ROON since 1.8 was released. 1.7 was simply paltry.

2 Likes

Yes, for a small number of users it’s not bad

1 Like

I just think we are all on the wrong version… we are stuck in some parallel universe…

I think the last couple of seasons of Agents of Shield have warped my thinking on things…

3 Likes

Great arguments, very accurate

So you like it then!!

You are unfortunately right. This version is full of bugs. Many of them Roon has recognized, there is a long list of them somewhere out here. (linked below).

I completely agree this should have never been released in this early beta status, but sh@@t happens and now we all wait for all those bugs to get fixed impatiently :blush:

2 Likes

If you listen always the same 300-400 hundred album you’re qualified.
For me it’s 6 to 10 new album near everyday, and not surfing each album but listen to them entirely, and keep them in my library, with marks and tag. And also not just one kind of music, Classic,Baroque, Opera, Choirs, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Progressive rock, Country, some Pop, Rap, HipHop and instrument speciality. etc…
Recently i have listen to the Ring, Richard Wagner, Directed by Pierre Boulez in one day, 13 hours 45 minutes, try it. But it count for only one album.

3 Likes

Wonderful recording :+1:

Honest question, no irony intended. Would like to understand how Roon impacts all kinds of users as their experiences, good or bad, deepen my knowledge of Roon and inform my decisions going forward.

:no_mouth:

Ok, I’m a small user…

Bonne chance!

(The Boulez Ring is wonderful, but I’m kinda stuck on the Culshaw/Solti version - part of my dna, I guess)

1 Like

You can get therapy you know :joy:

Take a small dose of Solti …then wrap your head in Bohm …

1 Like

Merci

Solti is one of the greatest of all time, his version of Malher 8 symphony is maybe my best, i have just listen to Valkirie part version of George Solti.

1 Like

I think Solti is pretty much the universally accepted gold standard on Rings. Amazing achievement. But there are many other great versions.

1 Like

During lockdown, I treated myself to a Solti Ring week , but unlike Jean-Yves , one a day . I must be getting old :sunglasses:

2 Likes