I have a few questions before I purchase lifetime

First off really enjoying the software.

Will Offline support be added for Android and iOS? I would like to be able to use this to add offline content from both my library and tidal and have it located in one place. I have LG v35 with good DAC that is used often in car and on the go. Currently I’m switching between Tidal, Qobuz and USB Audio Player to play offline music. Roon has done a wonderful job to merge my experience to a single app on desktop. I need this same convenience on mobile.

Is there a way to implement a song will automatically play the most dynamic version of that track and search on Tidal or Qobuz for better versions? When I currently play the radio which is pretty good selections it will play 16bit versions when I have DSF or Qobuz has 24bit version of that track. This is annoying knowing its not playing the best version. A switch to turn this off or on would be great. Or even a toggle to search for other version while its being played would be amazing.

@support

Hardware :
Desktop at work with Mojo / Liquid Carbon amp
Home desktop D50 / with CTH amp
Mobile LG v35
Pi bridge with DX7 and Studio Monitors for Living room

Remote/Offline mobile support has been flagged as on the road map. The Roon team have said it’s not simple to implement properly. It was originally flagged as on the roadmap 2 years ago, so don’t expect it any time soon.

As for choosing the subjectively better master based on dynamic range, highly unlikely as that would require the streamers to analyze there content and provide that information.

What about preferring 24bit over 16bit. That is simple enough.

I would hate such a feature. Higher numbers don’t mean the better version (see loudness war).
Roon should play the version I marked as primary and nothing else!

Not sure why you mentioned Loudness War here @AE67?

Bit Depth and Loudness Wars (Excessive Dynamic Range Compression) are completely un-related.

Because those numbers mean nothing. The 24 bit could be brickwall compressed and an older 16 bit not.

DR audio analysis would tell you more but still not guarantee a well mastered album.

Roon does, all you have to do is Make it Primary

Ah… I see where the confusion is maybe coming from here…

The OP used the words “Most Dynamic Version” and then went on to discuss Bit Depth. This is standard confusion I’ve seen before.

Bit Depth (16-Bit, 24-Bit) has nothing to do with the dynamics of any commercial recording, just because something is 24Bit, doesn’t mean it is ‘more dynamic’ than 16Bit.

@mmc227 . When it comes to 16 or 24 Bit recordings, you could think of this as the potential depth of the pot that the music is contained in. A 24-Bit pot can potentially contain sound with a Dynamic Range of 144dB whereas a 16-Bit pot could potentially contain sound with a dynamic range of 96dB.

However… No commercial final master has ever used the full 96dB range of 16Bit, let alone the ridiculously large 144dB range of 24Bit. (A recording with a dynamic range of 144 dB would be unlistenable in any domestic environment. In order to hear the entire range you’d have to have a seriously powerful set of speakers and amplifiers and you’d have to turn it up so loud to even hear the quietest passages, that the loudest passages would cause immediate an permanent hearing damage)

Most recorded final music masters have a dynamic range of 20dB or less!!

There is absolutely no difference in Dynamic range between a 16-Bit and a 24-Bit version of the same master of an album because the full dynamic range of that album can easily be contained within a 16-Bit version of it.

I hope that makes sense… these things are hard to explain without diagrams… :slight_smile:

That aside… I think it is a perfectly reasonable request that you make… that you should be able to ask Roon Radio to pick the largest Bit-Depth available. However… this would maybe have to be a feature that is user-selectable as there are a number of instances where the 16-Bit and 24-Bit (or MQA, in the case of Tidal) versions are different masters that are being served up and, in those cases sometimes users, including myself, prefer the sound of the 16Bit version over the 24Bit.

Better to ask Roon to play the version that you set as primary.

However, having said that… I have noticed Roon Radio play AAC (MP3) versions of songs that are available as FLAC on Tidal or even locally stored in my case and I would prefer it didn’t do that!!

2 Likes

Not strictly true @Chrislayeruk. I’ve had Roon Radio play a Tidal AAC version of a song that I have in my library which is stored ALAC on my core and is marked as ‘Primary’.

I’ve opened a topic with exactly this topic 2 days ago:

1 Like

Ahh well, stuff happens, I’m sure it will be looked at. If that’s all that holds you up from buying lifetime I’d go for it.

It’s not me that started this thread @Chrislayeruk. I’ve been a lifetime member since February 2018! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a LG V30 as do a number of other Roon users and there is currently a problem using the LG phones as Roon endpoints because of their integrated DACs. Basically you hear pops and crackles during playback.

Roon is apparently in the process of rewriting and updating their Android coding to accommodate integrated DACs such as the V30s and other models.

The issue was flagged quite some time ago so no idea when this will be fixed.

Yeah Prefer it wouldn’t play anything lossy for sure. I hear what you said but for most part anything in 24bit I have is the better version. I was suggesting a toggle and turn it off and on if people didn’t want the feature. Or even allow you to search for better version while its playing. Without clicking though all the versions.

1 Like

That solution sound like it would work. Would take some work though to set these all correctly.

1 Like

With Qobuz integration and the new radio function added (and largely successful in my view), I would count mobile access as the next big need. Understand making local files accessible remotely is a huge undertaking, but how about an interim step of accessing at least the database file so you can browse your library/collection — files from the home server would be ‘not available’ — while making integrated streaming services available through the Roon app?

1 Like

Given that even a small library will have a database of well over 1 gigabyte in size, I would bet, that is one of the challenges the Roon team is working on and not a quick fix.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.