I have a rather annoying noise at 5333Hz any ideas what is causing it?

its running 24/7 and its in several adjacent blocks of apartments in the area that I have tested, at every power meter in the common areas…please read the whole thread.

This might be nothing, so disregard this post if you think it’s not relevant. Something has been nagging me since I first saw the title of your thread @wizardofoz. It’s that frequency of 5333 Hz.

That’s the mean frequency of tinnitus by the way, but I don’t think we’re talking tinnitus here. No, something else was bugging me…

Then I did some digging and apparently 5333 Hz is a common crossover frequency, both for active and for passive crossovers.

As I said, this might be totally nothing, but maybe one of your crossovers in one of your devices has gone haywire.

2 Likes

As I keep saying this is happening regardless of my house powered off at the mains breakers for the unit I live in. its present at every house power meter (not electronic meters by the way) and in other buildings in the compound plus at the mains distribution room in the ground floor area.

Please go back and read from the top and listen to the audio clips too. This is not just in my house.

Have you determined the noise is coming from your power supply? I keep thinking you might need some other source of electric power for your system. Short of a wind turbine, diesel generator, or some other non-feasible solution, is there some sort of device that is electric powered that can generate a “clean” electrical supply? I guess what I’m trying to describe is an electric powered generator.

The fact that it affects multiple apartment blocks in the same district sounds like some industrial control device propagating noise back into the mains. When the utility engineers can attend they will probably track it down. I would expect very heavy industry to use a separate 3 phase supply.

Are the affected apartment blocks all on the same substation ?

no heavy industry around men and the estate has its own larger sub station with smaller ones in each block, as shown above one is under mine and it would appear to be 415VAC 3 Phase in

Hi @wizardofoz,
I know it’s been a long long time :), I was scrolling through my list of open issues…and noticed this one especially, as I find it an intriguing one… No idea about a cause… :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there anything you can report in the meantime, did you find out anything yet ?

Or is simply nobody coming to judge your situation yet, in these strange times ?

Sorry to bring this up again, if it annoys you :frowning:

Well it annoys my wife more as her hearing seems to pick it up more than I do…but yeah no updates due to the C19 shutdowns here. Might still try a PSAudio Stellar Power Plant 3 thoough but have to buy it and then stuck with it or sell at a loss if not effective - but it might still make things sound better.

You could try engaging directly with a smaller company that makes power filtration devices - they might he able to shed some light on their potential effectiveness? For example, the designer of Puritan Audio answers questions directly from their inbox?

Was there any difference in strength of the tone as you walked around the neighbourhood? I’d think you’d have stronger readings if close to where the noise originates.

Doesn’t seem to be it’s just everywhere at every unit in the compound. I’m clutching at straws here.

Very annoying problem! A power conditioner would maybe solve it for the hifi, but not the rest of the flat (if that is a problem)

Only seems to come through on my high end setups…

Hi @wizardofoz
Have you been able to unravel and fix this problem?

Well my wife says the noise is still there…so guess that’s a no. Also with Covid still around seems such trivial first world problems are not on any priority for the power provider to do anything about….but thanks for asking.

Now I just turn the music up and make sure roon radio switch is on to keep it playing. Plus kill the trigger to the amps when it’s paused for 5+ mins :sunglasses:

I thought you might decide to buy a power regenerator from ps audio and I would be curious to see if it works. I wonder how efficient these regenerators are for problems like this.

and @wizardofoz May I ask what program you used on Mac OS to analyze the recording?

I have 2 of them…a p5 and a p10 so yes it’s still happening with the regeneration

Oh, thanks for the info. Too bad. My friend has a similar sound when the elevator starts and stops in his building. So I can’t really recommend ps audio products to him, looks like they will be ineffective.

Is he in Singapore too? I suspect the lift motor controller systems too

No, in Europe. Elevator is made by Schindler. This is definitely related to the elevator operation.

1 Like