I have a rather annoying noise at 5333Hz any ideas what is causing it?

I’m doubting these small meters have enough capacity to induce 5333hz into a whole housing estate of hundreds of apartments. There are no electronic meters at the apartments only in the sub room that I have found.

It’s much more likely a motor or other high current controller radiating or affecting the mains and its the mains acting as the antennae if you like.

Ok. Digging a little further. Mega Power Automation also seem to be linked to solar power. Does the estate have PV panels on the roof? If so the inverters might be implicated…

I am aware the our govt is doing a solar drive and this is a possibility…something I will ask about.

I have garnered the attention of the power supplier’s technical quality and transient management team so more will be coming. Meeting them later next week. This should be fun :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Sadly he has informed me his hearing is not much above 3KHz :flushed: so he is bring another with him too…hope we can get something sorted out

If necessary, could you install a solar panel to power your music system?

Not living on the mid levels of a 13 story apartment building :frowning:

Actually the noises are worse when you get a better recording…some of this is not coming through to the speakers however - this is recorded free air with a wire to the input of my ADC (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) just ignore the lower 100Hz noises and focus on the clicks and tones. easier with headphones on.

just an update…the power guys bailed on their appointment due to risk of cover-19 a few days before they were due…as it’s not really a serious impact im OK with that. will pick it up again in due course I guess.

:frowning_face: … but they were probably right…

I was anticipating this too. Gives me some more time to play with things like shielded power cables and filtered power distribution and isolation transformers

1 Like

Perhaps I have the most interesting grounds for trying lots of things like shielded power cables, isolation transformers and filtered power distribution boards etc…oh lets not forget FMC’s which I do have in play and shielded LAN cables.

I’ve heard that generic switches and ethernet cables can also lead to that… :wink:
Why not lose all self-respect?

I was hearing a very annoying noise in my home yesterday that seemed to go away when my wife took the dog for walk. :joy:

2 Likes

Even dog walking is banned in South Africa :sunglasses:

Best not to ask which made the difference…

1 Like

Just wanted to ask, was it the dog or the wife?

I think you know.

1 Like

guys like to keep it serious here if we can…all joking aside its a real annoyance.

1 Like

Someone flying a drone nearby? There are a lot of control systems that use multiples of this frequency.