I have the original Nucleus +

The Nucleus works and has always worked perfectly. I have purchased a vacation home I will need another Nucleus . I have found the ROON DSP ( Muse) to be an advantage with this vacation home system. . It doesn’t take a lot of filtering and currently I’m really only using a 50HZ 10 DB reduction to get pleasant results. The new home may require more DSP but we’ll see. I only have 1000 albums ripped to the internal hard drive and listen mostly to Qobuz. So my question is being my Nucleus + is one of the very first ones offered by ROON am I better off sending that one on to the other house and buying a new + or given my limited library and small use of DSP just buying the standard Nuc ?

Hmmmm… what will you run on the standard Intel NUC? Will you do a ROCK build and run Room OS, thus dedicating it to use with Roon? Or will you install Microsoft Windows on it and run Room Server in the background?

If the former, there’s virtually no functional difference between Nucleus+ and a modern ROCK build. I’m not even sure of the state of Control4 integration, what used to be a differentiating feature.

Besides cosmetics (casework on the Nucleus is beautiful), the main difference is that Roon Labs does the build for you and provides support. If you don’t mind getting your hands a little dirty by doing the build yourself and dealing with any hardware issues that come up initially or down the road, ROCK is a great way to go.

Unless you opt for a 3rd party case, the NUC will have some fan noise. But if you place Core in a closet with your router, that should not be a concern.

Thanks for the reply but maybe when I used the word NUC I confused the conversation. I will buy either a ROON nucleus or Nucleus + . Given my outstanding experience with my now many year old ROON Nucleus + I’ll stick with success, just wondering now that I will be using some DSP would I shortchange myself if I don’t get the Nucleus + ?

With a single zone, a small library and simple DSP I imagine the base i3 Nucleus will be fine.

1 Like

Control 4 has been in ROCK for a long time

I would send the old one to vacation house and get a new one for your main home. I always recycle Hi-Fi for another room.

1 Like

Is there any documentation for this? I’ve not found any.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.