I know Raspberry Pi can't run RoonServer/Core... but why not?

Is there a physical/technical reason that a Pi couldn’t run roon core?

Is it an OS thing, or a disk space thing, or a RAM thing?

(For the record i run RoonServer on a mac mini, and have a couple pi bridge/endpoints using RoPieee.)

You’d have to search for quantitative benchmarks that allow a fair comparison, but from what I know informally, a Pi 4 is much less powerful (raw processor, memory bandwidth) than a a current Mac Mini (M1, say) or NUC-class Intel machine. There’s also the fact that Roon Server relies on .NET libraries that have to be ported to particular OS/hardware combinations. They exist for Intel (Windows and Linux) and for Apple, but that doesn’t mean they exist for Arm/Linux.

Processing power mainly, I would think. And, I don’t think there is an ARM build for the server code.

There is this thread …

My memory says there used to be a lite version of Roon Server running on DietPi.
But I can’t find the relevant thread…

It would choke quite easily given how poor Plex is when used on it. The ARM cpus on are so far behind any decent pc processor. Server code is also not built for ARM only intel, amd and the new Apple Silicon.

That would be for the x64 version of dietpi not ARM. It runs on intel as well these days.

1 Like

However, other than being an interesting theoretical question, even if it could, SHOULD, you do it. I have gotten RoonServer to run on a modified Netgear NAS where I changed the CPU up to a Core 2 Duo E7600 and 4 GB of RAM.

Does it work, yes, in the basic sense. Would I ever suggest anyone use that environment. No.

1 Like