I’m about to give up on Roon (MacOS endless problems)

Older 2012 MacMini 16GB quad core i7 as Roon Core. Running Roon Server not Roon though that works as well. I’ve set the Mini to use a static IP.

Roon Remote primarily on M1 Mac Air. Though I use iOS devices all current version and a couple of older Mac laptops depending where I am in the house. I have 8 zones and some gear doesn’t appear until powered on like my NAD M33.

Version 1.8 build 952

I’m guessing this is an M1 disease (or Rosetta 2). I used to have the core on my Intel based iMac and never had these issues.

But I also never had these issues until recently on the Mac Mini and suspect the last Roon build has a bug.

I hope it gets resolved quickly, I’d be very frustrated if Roon misbehaved for me as it has for you.

Same here. 2011 headless macmini (i5 -16gb ram)running Roon server for quite some time with no issues. Ever since the latest update I start hearing the fan go crazy at odd hours and without any music playing. I Remote Desktop to the mini to check it out and it’s always Roon at +100% cpu. My system never displayed behaviour like this before. It’s software and things are bound to go wrong from time to time. I can live with that. But this is on a different level. Apart from the fact that it makes the software almost unusable, it is at some point going to fry the cpu!!!

Roon: 931
MacOS: 10.14.5 (Mojave)
Mac mini: 2018, 3GHz i5, 8GB RAM

1 Like

Today, after Roon CPU (Mac Mini - M1) went over 100% again (doing nothing) instead of restarting the core, I restarted the remote player (an Intel iMac ) and amazingly, everything got better. The core CPU usuage dropped to the teens and the player was producing searches with fast results

I do believe I now have the issue mentioned in this post

Hi @Dennis_in_FL ,

If a remote restart helps, it sounds like you could be dealing with the issue mentioned here, though I haven’t seen reports of the issue causing high CPU usage:

After the fix is released for that issue, we can check to see if it has helped in your case as well.

I haven’t seen reports of the issue causing high CPU usage:

I had entered the info in Support here

My Mac Mini is back to normal again (Build 970).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.