Roon core on Mac Mini issues

Roon Core Machine

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Mac mini 9,1
Chip: Apple M1
Total Number of Cores: 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency)
Memory: 8 GB
System Firmware Version: 7459.121.3
System Version: macOS 12.4 (21F79)

Kernel Version: Darwin 21.5.0

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Music on 8TB external hard drive (USB 3.0 to Mini)

Connected Audio Devices

Gustard X16 - USB

Number of Tracks in Library

14,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I believe this is recent. Possibly since the last build (952?)
My Mac Mini Core runs OK when playing music. If I do anything with albums (search, edit, etc) the memory usage on the mini goes over 100% and Roon slows down considerably. The memory use on the player (

Clicking on an album can take a good minute for a response.

If I exit Roon and restart all is well again until I start any album activity.

Here is a screen shot of the core shortly after starting roon

And later after album activity

Initially, the album activity I do (focus, tag, identify, search) will be very fast response and the core CPU % will come back down to 10-20%. But if I continue to work in that area, eventually the core will stay over 100% and the response for anything in Roon is too slow and I have to restart Roon on the core.

The music player is never affected and music plays on sometimes even if the Roon screen is frozen.

Maybe unrelated but I also have issues with focus…some areas aren’t showing up

My focus selections stayed blank and I ended up quitting Roon on the core and the remote player.

When I restarted, the focus selections were back.

Hi @Dennis_in_FL ,

This sounds like it could be this known issue we are investigating in the following thread:

Do you also notice the wrong song listed as currently playing?

Although I don’t have this issue as I’m still on way previous versions of both Roon and MacOS, I have wondered if this was a Rosetta issue but, at least on my M1 MacBook Pro, which serves as my controller, there is no option to force Roon to use Rosetta unlike some other software I use. So bang goes that theory.

Not so far.

All is well again after the latest build (970). So far so good.

My searches and refreshes snap again and the Mac Mini memory is back under 15% instead of 115%

1 Like

Glad to hear that the update helped resolve these issues on your end, @Dennis_in_FL !

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.