I think Roon is in an endless loop. How to stop it

Three days ago I sent my entire CD collection to Roon. Every time I log into Roon I still see the rotating circle that indicates processing. I took a screen shot and I think it shows the rotating circle. I am pretty sure all my recordings have made it into Roon so I am thinking Roon should be done. How do I find out if it is done?

Adding files to Roon and then Roon analyzing the files and applying library settings are two different processes. The files can all show up, but analysis / applying library settings may not yet be finished.

How many CDs are your “entire collection”?

You can also go to Roon Settings > Library and, at the bottom of this page, assign more CPU cores to analysis, maybe that speeds things up

2 Likes

I wish I knew where to look for the answer to that in Roon. I do know I have at least 1430 albums according to my Naim App.

I will add that the moving circle is still moving, indicating Roon is still processing something.

I was just thinking you know how many CDs you have approximately, to get an idea of the work it has to do. There is a difference between importing 5 CDs or 5000. 1400 is quite a lot in one go, so Roon may be busy for a while with all import tasks. Roon has to identify all albums, find the metadata for it, and then cross-link everything, like the credits, so that you can, e.g., click one credit on an album and see all the other works of the artist.

I would wait some more before panicking. As you you see in your screenshot, Adding music to library was “complete”, but the progress bar for Applying library settings indicated that is was just not done yet:

As for how to find your ex-CDs in Roon, it depends. First of all, Roon can’t know that these were CDs as opposed to other files. Second, Roon tends to treat all files and streaming content the same by default - it’s one of its value propositions that it doesn’t matter where music came from.

There are options though:

1. You can tag albums (and nearly everything else) in Roon. Personally, I tag albums with with „CD“, „Vinyl“, „Files“, depending on what I own.
  • You can go to the Roon sidebar > My Library > Albums. Then you can sort by Date Added. This way you can find all your recent imports.
  • On a Mac/PC, you can multi-select the range of imported albums. Right-click or long-click the first one. Hold the Shift key and click the last one. Now the whole range is selected.
    – On a tablet it is less convenient:
    – You can long-tap one album to start multi-selection. Then you get checkboxes on all albums to add to the selection by tapping them, but there is no range selection - and tapping 1400 albums is no fun.
    – However, after starting the multi-selection, a menu labeled 1 Selected will appear top left. Tap that and you can choose to “Select All”. If you only added CD files so far, “All” will do what you want.
  • Click the Edit (…) button and then Add to Tag.
  • Tag them all as, e.g., CD. (You can create whatever tags you want)
  1. Depending on what you use as your Roon Core and what you use as storage drives, you can create separate location folders to keep types of files separate (or use whatever other criteria you want)
  • On your storage drive, you could create a separate folder for CDs and copy the files to it when you import.
  • Go to Roon sidebar > Settings > Storage. The options you have here depend on what your Core is. If, e.g., using the Mac/PC as a Core, you can add separate hard drive folders separately as storage locations.
  • Then you can go to My Albums > Focus and display the files based on the storage location, e.g., only your CDs
  1. In case all you have is CDs and no other files or streaming, the overall count will give you the number. Sidebar > Browse > Home, at the top. Or Sidebar > My Library > Albums at the top, for albums. My Library > Tracks, at the top for tracks. Similar for Artists, Composers, Compositions
1 Like

I’m learning a lot from your very informative comments, thanks much!

I did as you suggested, on my tablet, I pressed the first album, then Select All. That turned up 1560 selections (!). But then I got lost. Assuming I wanted to, how do I invoke the tag feature so I can tag that grouping?

But in truth, I don’t really want to tag that grouping, because it contains several hundred albums that are high quality dubs of vinyl titles. What I’d rather do is isolate those LP dubs into a separate Folder. As you suggested, I went to Roon/Settings/Storage and this screen popped up

My music is stored on a Roon Nucleus. I could theoretically name a new folder “Larry’s LP dubs”. But then I’m immediately stuck. How do I move those files to that folder? And when I’m in my App and ready to choose music to play, how do I move from one folder to another? Do I have to repeat that Roon/Settings/Storage process and choose the folder I’m interested in browsing? Or is there a more direct method?

What file format and resolutions are those? There may be other ways to select only your CD rips. E.g., if all your vinyl rips are hi-res files, and all the 44.1/16 files in your collection are CD rips, you could use 1. enable Focus, 2. show only the 44.1 files, 3. „Select All“, and 4. open the tag menu to tag them:

(EDIT: for anyone reading this in the future: I messed up the following screenshot, step #4 is wrong. See correction further down in this post)

What are you using as the music storage, where you have these HQ, LQ, and MQ folders? Is this a Naim Uniti Core that you access over the network?

I’ll turn to this first because it represents a potential problem, to say the least. It’s definitely an Oh dear!!! And I’d like to say something a lot stronger than oh dear :(.

I didn’t tumble to the problem when I did a screen shot and used it here. Now I have another bug to chase down and I haven’t a clue where to begin. Partly because I was a bystander to the person who actually did the necessary work that finally put my Naim music data into Roon.
But to the problem, why/how would Roon be aware of the Naim Uniti Core’s file folders???
Background: I run two streaming systems, Naim Uniti Core and Roon Nucleus/Audio Alchemy DMP-1. I started streaming using the Naim product and quickly realized I wanted more features. I turned to Roon, buying a Roon Nucleus and the Audio Alchemy DMP-1 media server as a Roon endpoint… I was surprised and dismayed when I saw the results of sending my Naim data into Roon. I had asked Roon to use my titles, my artists, my tracks, my album covers. The resulting metadata was almost useless. That’s when I found out that Naim uses a proprietary version of WAV that Roon couldn’t decode! I was eventually told that SongKong is able to translate Naim’s form of WAV. And then I discovered, again to my dismay, that Naim uses two different proprietary forms of WAV and SongKong doesn’t translate the one my particular Naim product uses. Paul Taylor then proceeded to put into SongKong the necessary code to translate the other Naim product’s WAV data. That was some time ago but I found myself unable to figure out how SongKong worked. Recently, an acquaintance kindly volunteered to help me figure out how to use SongKong and I’m now working with the results of that recent reintroduction of all my music data into Roon by way of SongKong. And with the very unexpected appearance of the Naim Uniti Core’s file structure in Roon!

Because the Uniti Core also can act as a file sharing server that can be accessed by other computers over the network, like a PC or, well, a Nucleus.

And your screenshot looks like it is being accessed via an IP address, i.e., over the network:

In which case you would be using the Nucleus as the Roon Core server, while the actual music storage would seem to be the Uniti Core.

Which is not a bad idea as such - this way, you have one single storage for both the Naim system and Roon. And if you rip CDs with the Uniti Core, they are automatically also imported into the Roon library.

However, I am not a fan of setting up rather complex systems for other people and then leaving them in the dark about what was done and how it works. But that’s between you and the person(s) who did this.

The other potential problem with using the Uniti Core as storage for Roon is the one you already found …

Not quite. The Uniti Core can rip to WAV or to FLAC, both is an option but I think the default is WAV (unfortunately).

When using WAV, they don’t tag the files but keep the metadata separate in a kind of database, which is proprietary but, as you say, some software might be able to translate it. The WAV files as such are standard, but without any file tags Roon has no chance to find out what is what.

If using FLAC as the format to rip to, the Uniti Core uses normal file tags as far as I know. Unfortunately, it can’t translate the WAV files to FLAC after they are created. You have to choose this before ripping.

I own a Naim system but never a Uniti Core, so I think the above is correct but all of this is just what I remember from the Naim forum. You may be better off asking there for advice with SongKong and the tagging, it’s common problem over there. Here’s a search result from the Naim forum for threads about this:

Send greetings from @suedkiez if you ask about this on the Naim forum, I have the same name there but am not visiting much these days. :wink:

Now, based on the IP address in your screenshot and if I am not mistaken, I still think the Uniti Core is being accessed as a file server over the network. Theoretically, this means that you can mount individual folders (HQ, LQ, etc, but also subfolders below that) as individual storage locations in Roon > Settings > Storage. If one of these folders contain your CD rips and nothing else, then this would be a way to identify them in Roon, because individual storage locations show up in Roon’s Focus and then you can choose this selection and save it as a bookmark or select all albums in it and tag them in Roon in one go as “CD”.

Okay, but why isn’t it showing the Roon storage location for music files which I believe is called Storage?

I actually LOVE the idea of having the files I rip automatically go into Roon. I was facing a challenge on how to best handle this transfer to Roon and this serendipitous outcome saves me the trouble of searching out the files I just ripped and moving them into Roon. But it leaves me wondering where to look for a file I just ripped. I expect I will find it in MQ as usual. Will it also appear in Storage when it is moved into Roon? If so, I could definitely live with that arrangement.

But it raises another question which is where I should do backups……

My acquaintance has only temporarily deserted me. At least I hope so! He immediately left for a scheduled two week vacation to Turkey and Greece, etc. We ran into so many problems that it became a cliffhanger as to whether it would work before he had to leave. It was midnight on the night before he was to leave that we finally were looking at success. This whole situation makes me realize how dependent I am on others for the Windows and Roon technical expertise needed to tackle these problems. I am few days from my 85th birthday and I don’t seem to learn new things as easily as I used to :frowning: so I’m very grateful for your help!

That’s an interesting comment. We weren’t able to proceed early on and finally figured out it was probably because there were two files named Music. Using an IP address was a workaround. I wish I could explain it in more detail but that’s all I remember.

Good tip and thanks again. I will visit but always with a very slight sense of disloyalty, however silly that sounds. And if the opportunity arises I will definitely send greetings.

Ah right, it might, but not in the screenshot. Can you show Settings > Storage before you click the Add Folder button? I may have been on the wrong trip.

Let’s check out the Nucleus internal storage first

Good luck to him, then! :slight_smile:

I’m getting older, too. Not quite where you are yet, but I notice becoming less interested in this stuff and just wanting it to work.

Let’s look at your Nucleus internal storage first :slight_smile:

Here is a screen shot of Settings/Storage

I hope this proves you are on the right trip. It is certainly an encouraging message as it implies it is waiting for the next ripped file to come its way.

Ok, I am on the right trip now, not so much previously.

• Indeed you are using the Nucleus’s internal storage. I suppose your files/rips have been copied to it from the Unit Core and the tags fixed with SongKong in that copy, right?
  • As the Uniti Core advertises itself as file server on the network, you see its folder structure when you start the process of adding additional, external storage to the Nucleus by clicking Settings > Storage > Add Folder
    – This would give you the option of linking in folders from the Uniti Core into your Roon storage, and these would subsequently be available individually in Roon > Focus.
    However, this doesn’t help you because the files were already copied from the Uniti Core to the Nucleus. If you were to add the networked folders from the Uniti Core as well, you would end up with duplicated music files in Roon. You don’t want that.

So as for helping you find specifically your CDs in Roon, we are back to tagging them after finding a way to display only the CD rip files in Roon. E.g., maybe by focusing on the resolution in Focus as described above.

As for getting new rips from the Uniti Core into Roon, I don’t see a good way to automate this, based on the current setup - if you already copied files from the Uniti Core to the Nucleus, surely you want new rips to be copied as well. And if you continue to rip to WAV on the Uniti Core, you will have to continue to go through the tagging exercise with SongKong.

You can access the Uniti Core’s file share over the network from Windows, and you can do the same with the Nucleus’s internal storage (both work the same way).
So I would copy the new rips off the Uniti Core to Windows, tag the copies, then copy them to the Nucleus.

Ok, I am on the right trip now, not so much previously.
Indeed you are using the Nucleus’s internal storage. I suppose your files/rips have been copied to it from the Unit Core and the tags fixed with SongKong in that copy, right?
*******Yes, you are right. I am using the Nucleus internal storage. I believe the sequence was copy Naim to F:\Raid, Copy F:\Raid to Roon, Run SongKong
As the Uniti Core advertises itself as file server on the network, you see its folder structure when you start the process of adding additional, external storage to the Nucleus by clicking Settings > Storage > Add Folder
– This would give you the option of linking in folders from the Uniti Core into your Roon storage, and these would subsequently be available individually in Roon > Focus.
– However, this doesn’t help you because the files were already copied from the Uniti Core to the Nucleus. If you were to add the networked folders from the Uniti Core as well, you would end up with duplicated music files in Roon. You don’t want that.
*******That’s right, I don’t want that.

So as for helping you find specifically your CDs in Roon, we are back to tagging them after finding a way to display only the CD rip files in Roon. E.g., maybe by focusing on the resolution in Focus as described above.

*****I can see a purpose in identifying 1) 44.1 files. 2) 192 files. 3) FLAC files 4) WAV files. But I have not figured out how to tag them. I choose Focus, then I write FLAC in Filter and I get 0 files. That can’t be correct because there are quite a few FLAC files.

As for getting new rips from the Uniti Core into Roon, I don’t see a good way to automate this, based on the current setup - if you already copied files from the Uniti Core to the Nucleus, surely you want new rips to be copied las well. And if you continue to rip to WAV on the Uniti Core, you will have to continue to go through the tagging exercise with SongKong.

*****I will continue to use the very convenient Uniti Core to rip into WAV but probably won’t use SongKong as I can easily edit one or two rips as they come into Roon.
You might ask why I would continue to use WAV instead of FLAC and I so t have a really good answer for that.

You can access the Uniti Core’s file share over the network from Windows, and you can do the same with the Nucleus’s internal storage (both work the same way).
So I would copy the new rips off the Uniti Core to Windows, tag the copies, then copy them to the Nucleus.

******Agreed

Arrgh, sorry I made a mistake in my previous screenshot: The step #4 was wrong here:

What this would to do would be adding an existing tag to the Focus criteria, to narrow it down further to specific tags.

But you want to create and add a new tag, which is the other button at the top. Sorry. Let’s start again :slight_smile:

1. Use Focus to filter on sample rate and bit depth:

1. Then start multi-selection by 1. long-clicking one album. 2. Then choose Select All from the menu:

1. When all albums are selected, click the Edit > Tags button to apply a tag to them (not the Focus > Tag button from the wrong step #4 in the previous screenshot):

This will open the Manage Tags window. Write your tag name. If it exists already, it will appear in the list to pick from. If not, there will be a new button to create it.

1 Like

Thanks for the wonderful screenshots on this @Suedkiez!

For @Echolane - I was able to take a look at our account information and see that your Nucleus has been online and active recently. Are you still running into issues?

I’ll be on standby for your status. Thanks!

1 Like

For @Echolane - I was able to take a look at our account information and see that your Nucleus has been online and active recently. Are you still running into issues?

I’ll be on standby for your status.
—————-

I’ve just returned from vacation and your note prompted me to double-check this situation for the umpteenth time. And yes, the little wheel is still rotating which indicates the task is still running. I don’t have a clue how to exit it and would definitely appreciate advice.

Dear Suedkiez,
You are so very kind and helpful! I apologize for running off so abruptly and without a response but time caught up with me and off I went on vacation and while swearing off internet access. As soon as I’m unpacked and resettled I will see what I can do with you ever so helpful suggestions!

No worries, I hope the vacation was great :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.