I want Roon to support folder browsing [not on roadmap]

I am a lifetime.member but stopped using Roon …the library created by Roon is not what I had hope for…no user flexibility , no options.

If there is a way to create my own library using my own folders this would make me reconsider
Media Monkey is far better

While I agree there is something nice about using a folder paradigm to organise content — indeed a folder structure is still the bedrock of archive practice in museums — almost everything that can be achieved with ‘folders’ can also be achieved with tags or bookmarks in Roon.

A tag approach will also offer more flexibility as an album (when using folders) can only (without the use of aliases) live in a single parent folder, but an album (when using tags) can have many parent tags.

Start out by creating a number of tags to represent the top level folders you want ie. 'Mellow Listening", “Sunny Day Listening”, “Albums to Revisit”, “Old Favourites”, “Christmas” etc.

If you want to mimic ‘nested folders’ then create a new tag for the child ‘folder’ and then add it to an existing parent ‘folder’ ie. create a tag called “Carols” and add it to an exiting tag called ‘Christmas’.

You can then simply add your albums to any level, simply by adding tags to them.

If you have already spent time organising your collection using folders on a file system there are several posts on the forums on how best to migrate that structure into Roon.

I dont accept your convoluted solution…most people use folders …why not roon…to justify product price ? or just marketing junk

1 Like

Hey don’t shoot the messenger :wink:

I just took time out to help you — and not even a thank you for doing so.

If you have an issue with Roon take it up with them directly.

9 Likes

I think you need to be more circumspect in your assumptions about what “most people” do or prefer. You might think “most people” follow your preferences but I doubt that would stand up to close scrutiny. J_a_m_i_e has taken the time and trouble to show how Roon can achieve the outcome you desire by a different method of which you’ve been very dismissive. Roon is not Media Monkey. You are at complete liberty to take your custom elsewhere if you find the Roon method unacceptable. Enjoy your experience with Media Monkey.

3 Likes

Are you just ranting?
Nobody forced you to pay lifetime before you explored if Roon is to your liking!

You could have saved yourself quite some cash by trying it on subscription first, since Roon’s dogma doesn’t include folder browsing, unfortunately.

So even if you would have opted to post in the feature suggestion part of the forum, it doesn’t seem to ever happen.

Before you aim your gun at me too, I’m just a user myself!

Sincere apologies Jamie…I wrongly assumed you were replying for Roon.
Thanks for taking time to respond.
I doubt Roon will bother to read my message

They will probably read it. But they have ruled this stuff out so many times now, it doesn’t really bear repeating IMO.

1 Like

No employee will answer that because they are proud of your product and have 100,000+ satisfied customers.

Of course, as with all companies, marketing is always far ahead and technology is hard at work behind it.

I know frustration and fascination, but it’s great when you make the effort to understand and use it properly. Unmatched in the database and there without index nothing works.

Is no different with other products :wink:

https://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=87333

2 Likes

I like folders too, they are practical, give freedom in naming and look great when browsing. I also prefer having folders in my Microsoft Teams and Sharepoint environment, I use folders to file my gmail mails. I love folders.
But I barked up this tree two years ago and got trashed by Roon. I just have folders that do not tag very well. so when I want to listen to these files I use Mosaic of my dCS Bartok player.
I never understood why this is hard. My 4000 CD’s are personally ripped and placed in folders by artist name. So most can be found easily by Roon. Some samplers cannot …
Roon uses these folders to tag the music … so why not show the folder structure … I would say a 10min job for a C++ engineer.
But Roon is still the best tool out there (except for missing folders). Nevertheless the minute something comparable comes out that can run on my NAS and use folders I am out.
Cheers,

1 Like

It’s not that its hard, its because folders are an arbitrary hierarchical structure that have nothing to do with music. Roon is trying to break away from curated archived storage models and create links between local and streamed music through artists, composers, genre and other meaningful criteria. They are trying to take the computer science out of computer audio. In order to find music and play it, you don’t have to know what folder it is in, you just have to know something about the music.

I accept that this is not to everyone’s taste. Some people prefer their folder hierarchy that they have carefully curated over the years. Roon tries to accommodate that to some extent with tags, but its always going to be an unsatisfactory solution for people who know their folders backwards and use them all the time.

I think of it as a bit like when graphic text editors overtook CLI editors. Familiarity with a folder hierarchy is like having vi commands in finger memory. There are still some lingering diehards around my age who prefer the command line and it will always be better for them. But no one under the age of 30 learns a CLI editor now.

4 Likes

You will get no comment from Roon mainly because this item has been discussed to death so many times before . The horse has been well and truly flogged .

Search the forum and you will see @danny response somewhere.

Folders are useful for organization but that where it ends (to me at least), I wouldn’t dream of random storage of albums , but for navigation software does it better.

Maybe suggest DLNA support for your next topic :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1 Like