Icon for Linn Selekt Edition

Not the most important thing in the world, but the icon for Linn’s second from top streamer, announced several months ago, remains an absurd little bookshelf speaker. Ironically, the much more basic Selekt Classic does have the correct icon.

Any chance of an answer?

I think Linn have given up with Roon.

Their updated Majik DSM (2020) still doesn’t have its own icon, probably because it hasn’t been tested by Roon. Linn are obviously relying on the fact that their Linn Streaming implementation on the original Majik DSM isn’t dissimilar from their 2020 update.

More concerning is that their new Klimax DSM still hasn’t been tested/approved by Roon. This makes DSD256 & 24/192+ impossible to stream via Roon to the new DSM. I have the KDS Organik upgrade, and I’m in the same boat. Not a biggie, but annoying nonetheless.

C’mon Linn! Sort it out!

1 Like

I think you’re correct about this.

In November, I started a thread on an issue I was having with my Selekt in which advancing tracks using Roon would often cause tit to “lose control” of the device. I tried with working with both Roon and Linn on the issue. Roon sporadically looked at the issue but without much energy. When I told Linn support that the issue was with Roon, they essentially said “not our problem”. I had a lousy exchange with them in which they very literally told me that it’s only a “bug” if it happens with their client software.

I don’t think Linn gives a hoot about Roon. It’s possible the feelings are mutual.

2 Likes

Are Linn developing their own proprietary streaming platform? If Roon doesn’t work well with their collaboration partners and become a thorn in the side I can see why they would be frustrated with the support load and a black eye on their product.
Similar issues with BluOs/NAD currently, pointing fingers back and forth. Who needs who most? These companies are developing their in house applications at a rapid pace and they are getting better.

There is perhaps some hope. A review of the new Selekt Edition appeared this week from Stereonet, in which the author mentioned that Linn have said that they’re working steadily towards full Roon readiness. I don’t know how accurate that is.

1 Like

Seems many companies are short staffed, employees playing round robin and jumping ships could be stretching the development process out? Roon support seems to be dog paddling furiously and not catching up………sign of the times?

Linn has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone. They support UPnP, Qobuz, Spotify, AirPlay, etc. I have no idea if they are working on something above and beyond that.

That would certainly be interesting!

1 Like

Sounds good, BluOs has all that pretty much and Amazon Music, Deezer, Tune in Radio and much more. Roon has the best interface full of content and information but to listen to music I can just use BluOs on my NAD quite happily. Depends on how much I want to immerse myself at the moment. Buddy of mine has moved to a Aries streamer with lightning app and he says it’s very good but not perfect.

It’s simply not good enough. If you’re going to drop £30k on a new Linn KDSM, it’s not good enough that it ‘might’ be Roon certified at some point in the future.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a Linn ‘die hard’, with a full Linn Aktiv system. But I seriously think Linn should take a good, hard look at the competition. For example, Lumin are in the same market sector as Linn, and Lumin is one of the most responsive companies around. Their products are always certified ‘Roon Ready’ before launch. Credit to Peter @wklie at Lumin and his company for their foresight.

I just love Linn for what they do in engineering terms. Their Organik upgrade is simply peerless. But their engagement with external ‘partners’ such as Roon stinks… :slightly_frowning_face:

I’m fact, I would go so far as to say to prospective buyers that if you’re in the market for a high-end streamer and you use Roon, buy Lumin rather than Linn. They’re a far more responsive company with an outward outlook/focus. And that comes from the owner of a KDS with an Organik upgrade that will have to be prised out of my hands before I die (it’s that good!) :scream:

2 Likes

You, sir, are speaking my language.

I have a Selekt + Organik with the stereo amplifier cartridge. It drives a pair of Wilson Audio SabrinaX. I also have a moderately - for Linn standards - specified Sondek LP12.

I adore this system. I stream via Roon and while the device isn’t Roon Ready, it works quite well modulo a few issues that I can easily avoid. Roon is able to control its internal volume and that lends itself to using rooDial/rooNuimo.

That said, I don’t have positive feelings towards Linn and I wouldn’t recommend them to someone who intends to use Roon. The support experience I had was terrible. I was given assignment after assignment after assignment - I stood up additional cores, tried streaming in all sorts of ways, sent log after log. Because of the timezone difference, I’d wake up to a mail from their support person asking me to do a new series of tasks. I’d do them, send the results off, and wait for my next set of assignments the following morning. It became clear they weren’t doing anything on their end.

My assertion was that Roon was simply using their APIs and that the Selekt was crashing (the volume knob would go red and the device would become unresponsive). They ended up blaming UPnP discovery packets on my network (nonsense) and wrote this:

The engineers are investigating for any potential issues with the code in the DSM, but as the issue does not occur in an all Linn environment, the engineers believe the issue may be with your network, based on the original report which showed endlessly repeating UPnP discovery, or with Roon.

The engineers will continue to check the code for the DSM and try to replicate the issue using Linn hardware and software, as if there is an issue with the DSM itself, it should be reproduceable using only the Linn software.

This is a device that exposes API and protocol endpoints that are intended to be called by other systems. Fast forwarding several tracks should not cause the device to crash.

As Linn themselves have said - consider their gear useful and supported only insofar as you limit your usage to their software end to end. I’m not exactly sure how that’s possible, but that’s what they’ve told me.

1 Like

Here is a company that is literally at the ‘top of it’s game’. Organik is a real game changer, not just a ‘DAC substitute’. They have a real winner on their hands here, without a doubt.

I have owned and cherished my beautiful LP12 since I was eighteen-years old. I’m now fifty-four. After a few upgrades, it’s now a superlative source. You can’t criticise Linn for quality. And although their prices are high, they’re fully justified IMO for the quality they provide.

But they need to look outwards and embrace the external consumer environment. People who want to run Roon shouldn’t be hampered by p&%s p&5r support from Linn.

We’re the same age, though the turntable I had in 1984 is probably at the bottom of a landfill. It’s amazing that you still have yours.

I hope Linn sees it the way you and I do. I’m not sure they care about the Roon audience. Based on what I see and what my Linn dealer implied, they may not see it as strategic.

1 Like

My LP12 is an original fluted Afromosia plinth, that started life with the original Linn bearing, with a Basik LVX arm, Linn K9 cartridge and a Valhalla power supply.

I’m now up to Radikal 1, Cirkus bearing, Keel, Ekos 1 and an Adikt cartridge. This, coupled with a Uphorik gives everything I need for vinyl reply :smiley:

As for Roon, I think Linn ‘ignore’ it at their peril…

Mine is a sad little affair compared to that. I need another forty or so years to catch up.

Let’s hope Linn agrees with you and steps up their game.

1 Like

It seems my pretty trivial issue with the wrong logo has set the hares running. For what it’s worth, I found Roon worked just fine with my Akurate DSM (correct logo!) and seems to be working just fine with a Selekt Edition (logo excepted). I’m surprised others are having such significant issues, suspect it’s more to do with Linn than Roon. Incidentally, I don’t hear SQ issues comparing Roon versus Qobuz direct, the subject of another thread at the moment.

I apologize for helping to drawing the thread away from your intended topic.

There’s a DSD issue with both the Selekt Edition and the Selekt with the Organik upgrade. I believe that’s what drew @Martin_Kelly into the fray.

I just reproduced my issue, which is that advancing tracks multiple times somewhat quickly can result in Roon displaying an error message (pictured below) at which point the Selekt becomes unresponsive and requires a reboot. I don’t run into my issue as frequently as I used to. I’ve been trained to allow a track to get a ways in before advancing and I also think Linn may have partially fixed it. It does still happen, though.

In any case, your concern is the display icon and that’s valid. Sorry again for the distraction.

Interesting. I rarely play any DSD (nothing against it, just doesn’t happen much) so hadn’t come across the problem. I might drop a line to Gilad, with whom I’ve had previous correspondence, alerting him to this thread.

Apologies for the digression in this thread. Rant over! :sunglasses:

I just want Linn to succeed. It’s only because I care so much about their products, that I feel the way I do. Linn just need to ‘get with the programme’!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.