I'd like for Roon to choose albums randomly (Shuffle albums)

This feature has been requested so many times over the last few years that I wish a Roon official would at least say something about it. Yes, even a “Will never come because …” would be helpful. Of course, I would be especially curious about the “because”. And of course a “Will be implemented in the foreseeable future” would be even nicer.

2 Likes

The way Roon shuffles/randomizes tracks to play leaves a lot to be desired IMO. If I pick a few albums and choose Shuffle, Roon front loads a bunch of tracks from just a few of the albums I selected. It won’t even get to some of the albums I chose until halfway down the queue. By then I’m thinking, ‘why does it keep playing songs from only a few albums I chose?’

I would love for shuffle to be very straight forward – play a track from a different album every time. Not songs from just 3 albums in the beginning, not 3 songs from the same album in a row. A song from a different album every time.

Not especially interested in shuffling albums, but would really like a “play a random album/track/artist/komposition”-function.

1 Like

How is this still not a thing? I don’t want to have to use iTunes lol

It doesn’t seem like the devs really read these ‘Feature Suggestion’ threads so I’m sure this whole thing is just wishful thinking. But it is nice to think about it

2 Likes

I can’t believe I spent this long reading about a feature that I thought I was just too dumb to see… how is this not a thing yet? :frowning: I don’t like shuffling my whole library, I dislike listening to individual tracks in a vacuum. I listen to whole records as a general rule of thumb.

A lot of the time I want a mysterious entity to just select a whole album from my library for me to listen to, and roon has been letting me down on this. I truly thought I was just too dumb to find it in the settings. What do we have to do to get this feature request?

Edit to add: Or at least give us a Sort by Random on the Album drop down

You can shuffle tracks and play the first album that comes up. Album shuffle would be nice to have for some people, it seems, but it’s not as if you are completely unable to play a random album without it.

It will be good to have a button to select a random album to play.

Maybe also have a date range to select from first.

Currently you only have shuffle feature to randomise albums.

Just a thought.

1 Like

@Shaji_Nadesan I moved your post to the appropriate category, hope you don‘t mind!
Now, you may even vote for it to gain traction…maybe

1 Like

I like your idea, but have no votes left…

1 Like

There are multiple “random album” requests already.

and others but this one may have the most votes

1 Like