Ideal QNAP TS-253B?

My understanding is that Roon ideally runs on a QNAP that has at least an i3 processor - such as the TVS-471, for example. Nonetheless, others appear to sufficiently run Roon on lesser-powered, and lesser-priced, QNAP devices.

Recently, QNAP have released the TS-253/453/653B. This only sports an Intel Celeron 1.5Ghz quad-core processor. However, unlike most lesser-powered models, one has the option to add an M.2 PCIe SSD.

From my perspective, my reasoning is that I can buy the 2 bay TS-253B to minimise costs, then add an Intel 600p 256 GB M.2 NVMe PCIe Solid State Drive to optimally run Roon.

Is my reasoning correct?

This appears to be a better option compared to buying, say, a 4 bay TS-453A and then utilising one of the bays to run a SATA SSD.

Depends on the size of your library today and tomorrow. You need at least an i3 to run Roon properly and if your library grows maybe an i5 later on. This site is littered with people installing Roon on underpowered machines. Some successfully and some not. If you have the technical know how to maintain an underpowered system then maybe it works for you over the long haul. Just remember when you have problems someone is going to whisper “I told you so”.

1 Like

As @John_Aiello told you, it depends. I currently have a 253B here to test it. My Roon Core runs currently on a TVS-473 which is powered by a AMD-Prozessor who runs between an i5 and i7. Roon works very well with this setup, even when you upsample to DSD.

I have tested the TS-253A and the TS-253 Pro with Roon, both work for small librarys. My recommendation is to test it for yourself if you already have a QNAP. But i would argue against buying a TS-253B with an expensive PCIe Card just for running Roon. Much better in this regard is to buy a ASRock deskmini 110 with at least an i5 Processor, a SSD for your System and a HD for your library. This setup is cheaper or at least in the same price range as an TS-253B with an PCIe-Card an m.2 Cards with the added bonus of much better processor-power and the possibillity to move upwards by adding an even faster prozessor, more ram or whatever.

Hi

I just bought a TS-253Be with 4GB RAM. It has 2x3TB in mirror for the files and an external USB3 250GB SSD for the roon database.

It runs my library (20000 tracks) withouth a sweat. it can stream up to 5 streams of flac cd qual simultaneously to 5 devices. CPU hits max 25%. (I don’t do DSP, just stream the flac to my raspberry endpoints.

main endpoint is a raspberry with allo digione --> SPDIF goed directly into my rotel SPDIF input.

so far: superb experience.

only when browsing through the library i notice a bit slower speeds, then when running the core on my i7 laptop. But all is working perfectly stable and the difference in speed is really small.

2 Likes

Update: even with DSP (volume leveling) on, with 5 simultaneaous streams: max 32% cpu

Thanks for the update. I have a TS-453BE with 8GB RAM arriving soon to try so looks positive for my needs.
I have about 60K tracks but don’t use DSP or upsampling so I was hoping it would do the job.

Cd qual flac (with volume leveling) streams go up to 96x processing speed

Mqa tidal streams (96khz) with volume leveling go between 9 and 13x processing speed in roon

Why did you choose an external SSD to install/run Roon?

That is, why didn’t you fit an M.2 SSD directly in the TS-453BE to install/run Roon?

External because this was recommended here on the forum, plus i had a spare one of 250 lying around, which is lots cheaper then the m2 (you first need an expansion board in the nas…)

I might upgrade with the m2 expansion and then move roon in the future

1 Like

For those deciding on whether to utilise an external SSD vs an internal M.2 PCI-E SSD…

Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB SSD - 550 MB per second data transfer rate.

Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB M.2 PCI-E - 3,938 MB per second data transfer rate.

1 Like

You do realize, those figures are highly theoretical?
Sure, the PCIe m.2 will probably be a it quicker but i doubt it will be huge differences.
(of course it is a lot better avoiding transcoding over USB though)

1 Like

Ok
good upgrade path for me in the near future :wink:

It’s not theoretical: SSD SATA is limited to a maximum throughput of 600MB.

Currently, PCI-E is limited to 4,000MB.

You mean 600MB :joy:

They say there’s one in every village.

Although awaiting the release of QTS 4.4, the imminent arrival of the QNAP HS-453DX will offer dual slot-loading M.2 PCI-e drives, plus dual SATA drive enclosures.

It’s being touted as a Roon Server.

one very funny feature of these 253be / 453be models is: they have a build in speaker
so they are roon endpoints as well

Has anyone considered the QNAP TS-351? 3-bay with built in M.2 SSD slot without the need for PCIe expansion card. Roon on SSD, storage on mirrored drives and backup drive. Only issue may be limitation of CPU, Intel Celeron J1800 dual-core 2.41 GHz processor (burst up to 2.58 GHz).

My previous setup for Roon Core with same CPU successfully have worked with 50000 tracks library and have converted pcm and dsd64 to dsd128.

1 Like

The Celerons will chug along really nicely, especially with an SSD for the database. Only the Atom processors are going to really struggle.

1 Like