If Apple moves to ARM -- will there be a Roon Core for ARM?

We have enough people doing that already :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

some people just want do streaming and CD 16/44 some underpower NAS can do the job

1 Like

There’s a very good article on Appleinsider that outlines Apple’s rationale for going ARM, and how Apple’s custom ARM implementation (‘Apple silicon’) differs from traditional ARM implementations. It’s a good read if you’re interested:

I have not seen any updates on whether or not Roon is working on an M1 native build of Roon, or at a minimum a control only app that runs natively on the new M1 Apple machines.

1 Like
1 Like

I don’t know why I didn’t see that, thanks.

1 Like

Yes, Roon will eventually have Apple Silicon Mx native builds. But, why is the time frame important? After all, Rosetta 2 x86 emulation is fantastic and is running x86 code faster than actual Intel processors.

1 Like

Waiting for this as well since native Apple Silicon apps run insanely fast.

Right now I am using Roon control app only on my M1 mini and there are moments where it hesitates a bit before doing what I asked of it. It’s not a bad experience by any means, but a Native app would be nice because as stated by Sebastian_Wick, native apps run very fast and well.

What are you doing when it “hesitates”? Because the M1 doing emulation is as fast as most any x86 chip you might use on a control system.

browsing albums view in 4k

Can you elaborate on what that entails? It’s not like there are 4K videos that Roon is going to play. The displayed graphics are not “4K”.

How do you know it is the Mac Mini doing the hesitating? The control app running on anything is not really doing much work. It is the Roon Core doing most of the heavy lifting.

sure… scrolling albums in full screen, 4K for me, introduces stutters. My Core is on a machine with 32GB of RAM, a 5950X and an NVIDIA 3090 GPU… It,s probably not that.

That scrolling issue is not your Mac Mini…displaying that data is nothing for the Mini. It has to be something else. Just because you have a 4K display hooked up to the Mini does not mean there is extra work being done by the Mini…

I love the lengths people go to in their efforts to find blame elsewhere instead of with Roon… It’s great software but its not handed down from God himself and perfect in every way… Occasionally there will be issues.

1 Like

Hah. I am not saying Roon is not the cause of the hesitations. That “something else” may be a database issue on the Roon Core. Or a bug in the Roon Core. Or a bug in the Roon controller app running on the the Mac Mini as the controller. It could also be network issues. Regardless, the Mac Mini M1 has way more than enough horsepower in its x86 emulation to run the Roon control app and not have hesitations. Drawing on a 4K display just isn’t that hard.

I get hesitations on my iPad sometimes. It’s not the iPad…

I am sure we will all be happier when Roon comes out with M1 native software. But that is not the fix for the issue you are seeing.

4 Likes

People have pretty realistic expectations, but it’s also true that things such as network latency can impact perceived performance with regards to the Roon “experience”, for example.

1 Like

Any plans to go ARM / SoC as the thermal footprint would probably be way better?

1 Like

Probably a bit expensive but that direction, yes.

see

1 Like