If not the Node 2i, what other options ? (<1K$ streamer/dac/MQA all in one)

Hi Everyone,

So i’m looking for a one box to do Network streaming / DAC / MQA ! and want it to be <= 1 Grand.
As of now, the options i’m looking at are above mu budget (Mytek Bridge, D2, CXN (no MQA)…), the only Affordable option is Node 2i.
I’m aware of the combos (2 devices streamer +dac), but would much prefer 1 box.

Is there any product that i’m not aware of ?

Edit : Cocktail Audio N15D fits my description too.

Thanks

1 Like

Don’t no much about this, just stumbled upon it. Might be worth a sniff.

There also is a Bryston BDP 1 on USA audio mart for $650. Gonna need a DAC though with that one. But I think that’s a good option as you see good deals on used DACs all the time and you can just keep upgrading the heart of the system while keeping their renderer in place. I picked up a used Bryston Pi off here for <$600 and am really happy with it.

Teac NT-505?

I asked a similar question, the PecanPi was suggested.
Neat and inexpensive, I bought one.
Works fine, but this is not a testimonial to top level sound quality, I have not used it with top level gear. I have no objections to what I have heard.
It doesn’t do MQA, but Roon will do the first decoding.

I particularly like that it’s an anonymous black box, no switches or buttons, no display, no lights indicating sampling rate and bit depth. What do I care? It’s just a box that does it’s thing.

Or, just go with the Node 2i. In my first-hand experience, they have resolved their Roon issues and I would now recommend the device as a solid end-point. As always, YMMV.

Thanks Joe !
This is a (cute) very nice device here !
my point is i want the trio (Streamer / DAC / MQA) for a set-it and forget it. i invested in Tidal, and my Roon is 35% my own CDs 65% Tidal, and i (less than often) hear some good stuff on MQA, so i want a one box that ticks the 3 boxes.

The above, can easily be achieved through a RPi4 + a hat (i’m handy enough to assemble the case).
Thanks

Thanks Again Joe !

Same logic applies here (need 1 box for the purpose)

Thanks Anders,

It is an interesting device i agree, but as i mentioned to the other gentelman, i’m really looking for a set-it and forget 1 Box, that ticks the 3 boxes (Streamer / DAC / MQA), this little beauty lacks MQA.
Thanks Again

Hey Dhusky,

this looks (on paper) way stronger than both the node 2i & N15D (DSD, amp architecture…).
Unfortunately it’s above my budget, Amazon lists it for 2000$, and i found a british retailer (online) listing it for 1100 GPB.
I will keep this one on my list, but it definitely seems a strong candidate.
I couldn’t find any review from the familiar faces, can you point me to one if you know of ?

Thanks again.

Hey Krutsch,

Yes my shortlist is now composed of both the Node 2i & Cocktail Audio N15D (i.m leaning towards the latter).

Let’s see what the community can suggest, before i pull the plug.
But yeah i recently hear only positive stuff about the Node 2i (and bluos in general)

Thanks Again

Yeah, it often seems to be quite heavily discounted in the UK - I’m sure I’ve seen it previously for sub £1k but I could be mistaken.

I haven’t researched reviews but it is well thought of by some on the forum (who may chip in) and I understand that the Lumin folk have had a hand in the firmware. I’d certainly have been interested in it as a cheaper alternative to my D2 but haven’t got to hear it myself (and wasn’t aware of it at the time).

1 Like

A NT-505 user here. I think it may be asking too much to get a device to do all you need it to do for less than $1000. The 505 fits the bill in every regard except price. If anything ticking all of those boxes drives the prices up. You might be able to do something with the MQA variant of the Topping D90 DAC and a decent Pi3/4 based Roon front end.

A NT-505 user here. I think it may be asking too much to get a device to do all you need it to do for less than $1000. The 505 fits the bill in every regard except price. If anything ticking all of those boxes drives the prices up. You might be able to do something with the MQA variant of the Topping D90 DAC and a decent Pi3/4 based Roon front end.

Hey Henry,

Thanks for your response.
Given that Node 2i & N15D fill the bill, i think there might be a third or fourth option.
I must agree that (on paper) the NT-505 looks impressive !
Would you be able to describe a bit the performance ? was this your first endpoint or you upgraded from a lower-tier solution ?
I might bite the bullet for the 1100 GPB, since i will ship it out of UK, the VAT disappears…

1 Like

It is very stable as a networked end point. My previous setup was quite complex: NUC as an endpoint (with PSU), AudioByte Hydra Z (with PSU) and AudioByte Black Dragon DAC. I also used a pre-amp. All of that was replaced with the NT-505. Its practicality made it a keeper and I then rejigged my system and how I did DSP to get sound quality where I wanted it.
I would confirm shipping to your location though. The matching amplifier is much better priced in the US than Europe but the product won’t ship to the UK.

Thanks for the insights.
This is where i found it (they offer World Wide shipping) https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/teac-nt-505-network-player.
I’m already well AMPed (a prima luna pre/pro and a Denon X8500, i won’t need amplification, hence why i’m keen on the One box solution.

Let’s see if any hidden gems surface from the commnity.

Thanks again

That is five miles from where I live and where I got mine! :slight_smile:

That’s another sign in favor of the NT-505 ! lol

Enjoy your system buddy !

Have you thought of the Bowers and Wilkins Formation Wedge? As there are discounts around to bring the price into your range, I think that will tick your boxes and it definitely sounds really good.

Thanks @PFBTG
i actually have all other gear (amps/Speakers…) i only need the Streamer/DAC Box (and i want it to do MQA too)