If you Could bring Back An Artist who Died Prematurely to Cut One Last Album Who Would it Be?

Why is everyone forgetting Nat King Cole…
Only 47 (I think) when he died, with much unrecorded music ahead of him…He is still spoken of and listened to to this day.

2 Likes

Eva Cassidy, I remember finding her and being so excited by the control and beauty of her voice, only to discover she’d died age’d at 33.

4 Likes

Gram Parsons - he was 26 when he died 1973.

1 Like

Lot’s of great choices but mine would be Stevie Ray Vaughan. IMHO, he was better than Hendrix.

1 Like

And lets no forget one Keith Moon. Not sure he would have individually released something spectacular (Tommy’s Holiday Camp being his opus) but, man, was he an expressive drummer.

And, of course, what would Metallica have become with Cliff Burton? Revolutionary bass player.

Again, tough choice, but I would say: Gram Parsons. Only two albums, but incredible influence that shaped a generation of musicians. There would be no alt-Country today without GP in the 1970’s. I venture that there is a chance none of us would have heard of Emmylou Harris, had Gram Parsons not collaborated with the then 21 year old soprano.

2 Likes

Maybe John Bonham, had he not died Zeppelin would hAve carried on a bit longer

He lives forever…

Although Leonard Cohen was of mature age his death was a disaster for music. His last album recorded at home when he was very ill puts many high end recording studios ad artist to shame. Brilliant music, lyrics and recordings. He certainly will be missed

2 Likes

Lowell George.

• Harry chapin
  • jerry Garcia (particular the music he was doing with Dave grisman)
1 Like

Buddy Holly.

He was 22 when he died in 1959. He had shifted from C&W to Rock n Roll and had the flexibility to keep on developing into the 60s. I have often wondered what the Beatles would have inspired him to do.

2 Likes

I second this. No Holly, no Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan, the list is endless. As influential as Presley but so unresolved in potential. The day the music died indeed

Sandy Denny

Thanks Paul B. By far that would have been my first choice. I have always wondered what he would be writing today. He is truly missed.

1 Like

Cat Stevens

He’s still here

Is he though?

I guess that depends on one’s perspective.