iFi Pro iDSD Roon Ready?

I’m not sure how is that even possible? I’m completely in awe … @Jake_iFi

OK, you are saying that the only connection into the Pro is via Ethernet and that this connection is straight from the Nucleus?

I see the Pro and I see the Nucleus, but I don’t see a connection between the two. What is at the other end of that cable (the only cable as far as I can see from your pic) going into the Pro?

I have connected my Pro many ways USB, Toslink, AES and Coax. Currently, I am using Coax from a Mutec 3+.

CORE i5 NUC ==>(network switch)==>Rpi Digi+ HAT ==(Toslink)==>Mutex==(Coax)==>iFi Pro.

1 Like

It isn’t possible.

I blew up the picture that was posted. The Pro is set to get its input from USB, not Ethernet.

1 Like

OK, I see what you mean. The two are connected by USB, even if they are both on the same ethernet, and that’s what makes it work, music wise, right?

Thanks for your patience and let me ask you another question. Given that this set up plays music perfectly, what additional benefit would there be if the iFi Pro iDSD were Roon Ready and connect to the Roon Core via ethernet.

Yes. :bangbang:

OK, I guess you understand that your Pro is connected by USB and not Ethernet, so that’s goodness.

If the Pro were Roon Ready, then one would connect it to the Ethernet. With the Nucleus connected to the Ethernet, then one doesn’t need a USB connection from the Nucleus.

Some people believe that a networked connection of that type presents a cleaner signal. I don’t go along with that. Connecting from the Nucleus via USB is just as good for the Pro, IMO.

Also, by connecting over Ethernet, your DAC can be in a separate room from the Nucleus (without a long run of USB cable), should you want that.

BTW - As it stands now, I don’t believe there’s any reason to have an Ethernet connection to your Pro.

Understood. Thanks very much. And you’re quite right. Disconnecting the ethernet cable from the iFi makes no difference to anything. I guess it was there because in my previous set up, the Roon Core was on my computer and connected to the SimAudio Moon network streamer in another room by ethernet, and I just reproduced that link when the iFi replaced the Moon and the Roon Core shifted to the Nucleus in the other room. That’s why I thought there was an ethernet connection between the two. Duh!
It’s been an education. Thanks again!

1 Like

I’m being a little pedantic, but for those following along at home, there’s more to Roon Ready certification than just being able to communicate with Roon over an Ethernet connection. This interview goes into some of that detail.

Much as I love them, I’ve been frustrated with iFi Audio for not working with the Roon SDK to develop firmware that would make the Pro iDSD a proper Roon Ready player. They have offered this DLNA bridge solution, which I imagine works fine for some people, but I feel like they could have done much better.

3 Likes

Agree 100%. iFi Bridge is a limited (read, lame) attempt at making the Pro iDSD Roon “ready”. I use an Auralic Aries mini as a bridge, usb out to the Pro iDSD. Via a recent communication w/iFi, I’m getting the impression Roon Ready will never happen for this device. A terrible shame.

1 Like

IMHO it seems to me that if Roon Ready is important to a Roon user, they should purchase devices that are Roon Ready at the time of purchase.

3 Likes

Yeah. This is why I don’t plan to ever purchase an Ethernet DAC. They tend to be dead-end solutions.

1 Like

This seems to be an emerging truth. The idea of one box streamer/dac is appealing, for me at least. The assumption that this would offer better fidelity may or may not be true. Products like Brooklyn Bridge ii and LS50 Wireless ii offer tremendous simplicity and terrific fidelity. I’d like to see more fidelity comparisons of streamer/bridges.

And then there’s this:

It’s a beast, but is it too much in one box?

1 Like

It seems that @DrCWO could help here with his upcoming rooUPnP :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, coming mid to end of February :+1:t2:

1 Like

It’s a very cool project…but I’m concerned that some manufacturers will take the easy way out and not bother with a full Roon SDK implementation. This would be bad for consumers since there are more benefits to a full Roon integration than just streaming lossless audio from Core to their endpoint.

I’m not that concerned. Roon’s license is very strict about this matter. I think that over the time the ‘Roon Ready’ label has gained significant value and manufacturers are missing out if they take the ‘short cut’.

Regards Harry

2 Likes

Roon Ready is coming to iFi Pro iDSD?