iFi Zen DAC missing from available audio zones after Roon update (ref#RK3JX6)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble with my DAC, speakers, streamer, etc.

What best describes the issue with your audio device?

· My device used to show up in Settings > Audio, now it's gone

Describe the issue

iFi Zen DAC directly connected to Nuc/Rock "missing" after Roon version update.

Hi, I have a Nuc7i3BNH running Rock to which is connected, via USB, an iFi Zen DAC Mk1. This configuration has been running without issue for a couple of years and latterly I've been pleased with the PCM to DSD conversion facility.

A couple of weeks ago, immediately after a version update the Zen Dac vanished from my list of available audio zones. Indeed, checking in the Audio section of Setup, it's no longer listed as a connected device.

Rebooting the Nuc, DAC and also switching the USB cable to different ports has no effect - the USB cable is a reasonably high quality item manufactured by SUPRA. The DAC is used with an optional external PSU and I've tried switching this in and out between reboots as well. A keyboard and display were also connected to the Nuc/Rock to check for errors but there were none.

I delayed reporting the problem thinking a subsequent update would include a fix but this morning, having accepted the latest update, still no sign of the missing device.

Thanks

Client: v2.0 build 1398
Roon Server: v2.0 build 1407

Vast majority of listening is from Qobuz plus a small number of ripped CDs on a Pi.

Describe your network setup

The network configuration is unchanged though I have rebooted all devices since the problem occurred, in an attempt to fix.

Details:

Step 1) >>> subnet 1 <<<
BT smart hub 2 (subnet 1) routed to an Asus RT-N66U (subnet 2) - via a pair of Tplink Av2 Homeplugs with same network names

Step 2) >>> subnet 2 <<<
Asus RT-N66U via Homeplugs (AV2) to Netgear switch (GS108) - via a pair of Tplink Av2 Homeplugs with same network names (different from above)

Step 3) >>> subnet 2 <<<
Netgear switch to Nuc (wired ethernet)

Step 4) >>> subnet 2 <<<
Nuc to Zen dac via USB

Hey v4lveman,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

Roon isn’t going to function across multiple subnets, unfortunately. You’ll need to get all your devices on the same local subnet for proper functionality. I’d also look at simplifying your network setup and test out a direct hardwired connection from your primary router to your roon server, and then to your DAC.

We’ll be on standby for your reply. Thanks! :+1:

Hi Benjamin,

Looks like the DAC is dead. It refuses to install (using the correct drivers) on any of my Windows PCs. So presumably, just an unhappy coincidence it was noticed after an update.

Thanks for your time.

James.

Ps. Roon works fine. All relevant devices are on the same (2nd) subnet.

1 Like