iFi Zen DAC not correctly recognized resulting to DSD capability limited to DSD 128

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus + / Roon V 1.7 (build 528)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ubiquiti Unifi switch and router / Connected over ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iFi Zen DAC connected via USB to MacBookPro 15 inch 2016 running Mac OS Catalina V 10.15.4

Description Of Issue

Hi support team,

It looks like this DAC isn’t correctly detected. The DSD playback mode does not offer native as an option and the max frequency rate is limited to 128 instead of 256 (real device capability).
I’ve changed playback mode to DSD over PCM since Native isn’t available.

Best

Hi @Sebastien_Massot,

Welcome to the forum! Native DSD requires ASIO drivers and ASIO drivers are generally limited to Windows Operating Systems (except for custom solutions on Mac). Since you have a MacOS client, outputting native DSD is not possible, you will be limited to DoP (and DoP rates are half of the maximum native DSD rate). Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply and explanation.
Would this works as expected if I Plug the DAC directly to the USB output on the Nucleus + then?

Best,

Sébastien

1 Like

Same as the Mac I believe DOP only as nucleus is Linux
“Using Mac or Linux? Then check out our exclusive iFi firmware. Download ‘Limoncello’ 5.2A to unlock DoP256 for Mac/Linux.”

2 Likes

Many thanks.

2 Likes

That depends. If iFi have gone to the trouble of getting their DAC patched for Linux, then it will work properly. Try it and see.

1 Like

They do say it only does native dsd on widows all else is dop.

1 Like

OK, cool. But it never hurts to try. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @ged_hickman1!

1 Like

@ged_hickman1, @Henry_McLeod

Hi all, just wanted to quickly confirm to all here, I have tested on the Nucleus as well and it does behave the same which now make sense to me.

Thanks to you all for the support.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.