iMac no longer recognized and new albums not appearing

iMac 5K 2017, 40 GB ram, running macOS Monterey 12.5.1

Hardwired to Netgear switch, CMS 1000 modem and Google Mesh wifi

My iMac is no longer recognized since the last Roon update. My other device play just fine. Also, none of the albums I’ve ripped since the update show, despite multiple forced updates.

Brian, have you rebooted everything, the Google Mesh router and APs, the computer (Nucleus or ROCK NUC?) running your Core, and the iMac? Since 12.6 is out, have you considered updating your iMac to the new MacOS version?

I am also wondering two other areas to check. Are the iMac’s firewall setting exceptions for Roon and RAAT correct since the update, and is the iMac connecting to the same subnet as that of the Core? Could it be connecting to another network?

Everything is up to date from a software perspective. I haven’t rebooted the ROCK NUC, but will do that. I didn’t realize 12.6 was out, so I’ll up date that now. Back to you later of my progress!

Thanks,

Brian

2 Likes

Unfortunately, no changes. iMac still not recognized, and no new albums found. So, very frustrating. This is even after updating the Roon Software.

Any thoughts?

Brian

What version of the Core are you running, 2.0? And are all of your Remotes also running 2.0?

Same with me: Running Core 2.0 on a Synology and copied two albums to that NAS. I saw Roon analyzing that tracks, but unfortunately they are not shown in “recently added” – and even a search for these new two albums doesn’t show any result.

Everything is update. Including my iMac. All with the latest updates. Note that this problem wasn’t solved with the latest updates. So, still no sound on my iMac (but not problem with my other endpoints) and no updates to my files. Everything has been rebooted, updated and no changes other than software updates has happened.

Any thoughts?

Have you rechecked your firewall exceptions on the iMac? Can you show what Roon is displaying under Settings → Audio for all of your other Remote endpoints you noted as working? The screenshot above shows only the audio options available directly on the Core.

In your first screenshot in your original post, Can you play to your System Output on the Mac (typically the built-in speakers) when you select “Enable”?

I’m also wondering if you Moravi Sound Grabber may be interferring with Roon. Is there a way to temporarily disable it and check if Roon can play to you iMac?

1 Like

Here is the screenshot of everthing. I might add that what’s available on my iMac seems to change every few days.

My other endpoints. They don’t have any problems.

I can’t play anything on my iMac. I’ve enabled all of the possibilities at one time or another. No success.

Never thought about Movavi Sound Grabber. I’ll delete for the moment.

Brian

Hi @BLH,

Thank you for your patience on everything. One thing I am curious about is whether or not you followed up on @Robert_F’s suggestions. We have the ability to enable diagnostics to ensure cores are communicating properly and in your case, the core is not responding. This could indicate a firewall type of issue and is seemingly relevant to the issue at hand. Can you check on this for us?

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Thank you @Wes, my next question was going to be about the firewall configuration on the Mac, ensuring exceptions are made for Roon and RAATServer.

1 Like

I do have the firewall on and there is an exception for Roon. Please see the screen capture. However, this hasn’t changed in years and problem cropped up 6 weeks ago, so I don’t understand why this would be an issue now. I also have a VPN.

I’ve turned off the VPN and turned off the firewall and rebooted and there have been no changes. I’m at a loss.

Here is a screen shot of the firewall showing the Roon exception.

So, with the firewall on and off there is no change. No iMac audio and no updates on my music.

Thoughts? Also, thanks for you help.

Brian

Thanks for your help Robert. Yes, I have followed all of you recommendations, everything has been updated… Made no difference unfortunately.

Brian

HI @BLH,

I’m sorry you’re continuing to have issues. With diagnostics, I am not seeing anything relevant to your iMac.

Can you give me a screenshot of what is displayed under Roon>Settings>About on this iMac?

Thanks,
Wes

Here you go Wes.

Hi @BLH,

Ok, something odd just happened. 22 hours ago I replied to you and at the same time, requested diagnostics information about your core. Around the timeframe of your reply today, they finally came back to me. This indicates there may be some networking issues causing your woes as these requests are generally returned within 3 minutes and in some extreme cases, 10 minutes.

Can you tell me more about your router and modem, please? How is your Roon core (ROCK) or any other devices connected to your network?

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Curious, I agree. Roon to the iMac is hardwired, not WiFi.

I’m use Comcast and have my own modem at CM 1000, wifi is a Google Mesh Wifi. Switch is a Netgear 24 port.

Here’s a photo.

Hi @BLH,

Let’s try a clean install of Roon. There’s a chance that there’s something in the SW going wrong despite my leaning toward a networking issue. Instructions below. Just to be clear, these instructions are provided with the understanding that the iMac is not your core.

• Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

One more question for you to clarify things. Are your remotes or core on wifi in any way (ie directly connected to wifi or directly connected to a mesh node that is part of wifi setup?

Wes

Thanks, I’ll do just that. I forgot to add in the previous photo that Roon lives on a NUC an i5. So, pretty easy to do.

Brian

I’m using ROCK on a NUC. Doesn’t the instruction still apply?

Thanks,

Brian