Import playlist from J. River to Roon

we replied at the same time so maybe you missed it. check the post before yours. It worked! Thanks !!!

Yes!!! awesome!! No, I live in California. But I will definitely take you up on your offer if I am ever in Ct.

Cool! I really appreciate the help. California is probably a better place than Ct. anyway.

another guy asked me if I figured out how to do this. I’ll pass this on to him. although he may have said he was getting only parts of the playlists to come over so may have a different issue.

anyway, thanks again

No Problem! I am glad we figured it out! Thanks for doing all the work and for not giving up on this.
Yeah, hopefully this helps the other guy too.

I think you did most of the work, but seeing how computers seem to hate me, I think I finally won one against them. Giving up meant redoing all those playlist so I had motivation.

I hope Roon figures out what happened to my backups. doesnt matter as much to me now that I have my playlists but I see a bunch of people having the same issue who need it fixed including a guy who bought his Nucleus from the same stereo shop as me

1 Like

so Just to summarize this thread in case anyone else has the same issue, or for me if I ever have to do this again-

I used J.River and stored my music on a WD NAS.

I then switched to Roon and storing my music on a Nucleus with the NAS for backup.

To get my playlists out of Jriver and into Roon. I went to JRiver and clicked on a playlist, then under File, export playlist, then in “save in:”, I typed the address of the folder in the NAS where JRiver found my music, checked the box in front of " store paths relative to exported playlist location". and also checked M3U(simple).

next I went to the NAS and dragged the playlist to the duplicate file in my Nucleus where my music is stored

At first I tried to put all the playlists in one folder and then sent that folder to the NAS and then into Roon, but it seems that doing each one seperately worked rather then all in one folder. not sure why. I double checked this by putting them back in a folder in Roon and they went away again.

hope this makes sense. and thanks to AnimalOnDrums for figuring it out

1 Like

So here is one possible problem, when you move your playlist info out of JRiver, you have to put it in the same folder that your music that the playlists are made up from are in. If you have some music in C drive and some in external storage, this might be a problem. I am no expert at this, but here is what I would try if I were you. You would be better off if all your music is in one place no matter what.

I would name a folder in your external hard drive. Then I would put all your music in it. You can have a bunch of different folders with different music in them inside this main folder, put you need one folder that contains all the music. So I would take any music that you have on C drive and store it in the external drive

so lets say that you make a folder called “computer music,” inside computer music you have another folder for rock music, another for classical…Just leave everything inside the “computer music” folder the same way that JRiver sees it

• go into JRiver, click on one of your playlists. then under FILE, choose “export playlist” check the box in front of “store paths relative to exported playlist location” check the box in front of M3U (simple)
    -Next, in “save in” type the address of the new folder that you just created to store all your music. In my example above, you would type in “computer music”
    -then click “OK” at the bottom
    -you also need to make your new folder “computer music”, a watch folder in Roon
    I think Roon should see your playlist now. If it worked then do each of your other playlists the same way.
  • What might happen is that the songs that were in your external hard drive may show up in the playlist and the ones in C drive may not. In that case, I would just manually add them to the playlist, and at least part of it transferred over
  • if you already have a folder with most of your music in it, you can just just type it’s address in the above instructions “Save in” window instead and then again you may have to add the files from C Drive back into your playlists.
    -The main point is that you need a music folder with all your music in it and also the exported playlist information in it and this folder has to be in Roons " watched folders"
  • also, keep in mind, that when you export the playlists from JRiver, the playlist don’t contain the actual songs but they contain the path to find the actual songs

again, I am in no way an expert at this so I’m not sure this will work because what I did with the Nucleus… was a lot different then what you are trying to do , so this is my best guess based on what worked for me

whatever happens, going forward I think you will be better off if all your music is organized and in one place. worse case, you have to make the playlists over. depending on how big they are, that may not be a huge deal. mine were huge, and I already remade them once when I couldn’t figure out how to import them into Roon the first time so I did not want to do it again

Goodluck . If you try this and it works, let me know

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.