Impossible to access files on an external USB Disk plugged on iMac with Roon Core

Roon Core Machine

iMac, MacOS Monterey 12.4

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Orange box (France), iMac connected with Ethernet to the box.

Connected Audio Devices

Airport Express (Ethernet)

Number of Tracks in Library

Don’t remember, ca. 800Go of music

Description of Issue

After several years of using Roon on a QNAP NAS without any problem, my NAS went off last week and I’m not willing to replace it. I plugged a USB disk where I keep a backup of my music files on the iMac, reinstalled the Roon Core on the iMac and try to rebuild a Roon database with this new setup. Unfortunately I cannot access my USB disk (unauthorized dixit Roon). The disk appears on the left column but I cannot see the directories/folders.
I have strictly followed the "How to " in order to have the disk and folders shared with the right user and password but nothing works. I’ve tried different files systems on the USB disk such as APFS, Ex FAT…
All the rest of Roon works perfectly, Qobuz, internet radios…
I can access the internal disk of the iMac without any problem as well.
Any thoughts and advices before I cancel my Roon account (I’m sick and tired of trying to have this mess working)

Thanks in advance.

Olivier

Is the usb disc attached to the Mac that the core is on?

Yes and I’ve tried different disks with the same result

I’m not sure where the username and password comes in?
You should just access the disk like any other local file. Like you would in file finder.

I have a “My Cloud” external hard disk which asks for username and password…but I was unable to use it as a regular hard drive.

If you have the same, I’d suggest copying your Roon music to a generic hard drive.

The disks I’m using are regular USB disks or SSD disks plugged on a USB dock.
I’m pretty sure the problem comes from permissions of the folders in the Mac but I cannot find where the trick is.
That’s the process I used : https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-how-do-i-create-a-shared-folder-on-mac-and-add-it-as-a-watched-folder-in-roon#:~:text=On%20the%20Mac%2C%20go%20into,Sharing%20is%20selected%20in%20Options.

That is completely the wrong thing.
That is for when the storage is in the Mac but you are getting to it from another computer across the network.
You don’t need any of that.
Attach the drive and then it should show up in the local list in roon settings, storage.

Here’s a screen shot of the USB storage attached to my Mac Mini.

OK my son just stopped by tonight and found out the trick, sorry for bothering and thanks for the help.
Olivier

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.