Impossible to set up - Specific problems - Can’t access any music.

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus (B) serial no: 54B20398557B with internal 2TB SSD added.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router: ‘Plusnet’ - RWHR 27548c95e2
2 x Apple ‘AirPort Extreme’ (Wi-Fi)
2 x Apple ‘Airport Express’ (Wi-Fi)
(Don’t know what YPN is?)

Connected Audio Devices

2 x Logitech Squeezebox Touches. . . .(1) One in lounge, (2)One in bedroom.

(1) Hi-Fi in lounge - (‘Majestic’ DAC pre-amp, 2 x ‘Proprius’ mono block amps, PSU1- ‘Enigma’ Power Supply . . . all by Graham Slee) plus PMC fact 8 speakers.
(2) Bedroom - (Majestic’ DAC pre-amp, ‘Solo Ultra Linear’ headphone amp . . . all by Graham Slee) plus Grado PS1000 headphones.

2017 iMac Pro (was Monteray, now Ventura) with linked external hard drives. . .
(1) 16TB Raid 5 ‘Promise’ Pegasus 32 R4 (lightening connected)
(2) Western Digital (6TB) (lightening connected)
(3) La Cie (6TB) (lightening connected)
(4) Voyager Q (2TB) USB connected to Nucleus.

Apple iPad Pro (3rd generation)
Apple iPhone X (model no: MQAC2B/A)

Number of Tracks in Library

Not sure, but takes up just under 1TB of space on an external hard drive.

Description of Issue

I am new to Roon.

I am severely physically disabled, having had MS for over 40 years. My wife helps me with most things as I can’t use my arms or hands properly.

Earlier in Dec ‘22, I downloaded the trial Roon App (with core) onto my iMac.
I put the remote app onto both my iPad and iPhone.
As things were working well, and before the two week trial ended, I paid for a years subscription.
After attempting a Roon update, music being played on the iPad and iPhone began to stutter and skip tracks. Sometimes a black notice would briefly pop up saying that the track was slow to load and suggesting two possible reasons which I can’t remember. While this problem was occurring the Hi-Fi in the lounge appeared to work properly.
I couldn’t resolve the issue and thought the problem might be because the iMac was involved with other activities.
I decided to buy a Roon Nucleus and installed an internal 2TB SSD.

I connected the Nucleus and deleted all the remote apps, including the Roon core on my iMac, so that I could start again as if from new.
I used the Roon Lab film ‘Unboxing and Software Set-up’ to try to set up the Nucleus.
I have since discovered that I should have backed up the Roon system before I deleted everything. Could this mistake be the cause of the problems I’ve had since? If so, can it be put right?
Nothing has gone right since and everything seems very muddled.

Using a USB cable, I have connected a USB 2TB hard drive (with my music on it) to the Nucleus in the hope that it would transfer my music onto the internal SSD. I don’t know how to make it do this.

I’ve somehow managed to play some music from Tidal (though still with stuttering and skipping of tracks) but despite looking for solutions in the help sections I still don’t know how to import all my music files, playlists etc.
When trying to follow the given steps there comes a point when I can’t go any further as what’s on my screen doesn’t match the instruction video and I’m sent round in a circle. I really don’t understand it and don’t know what to do.

I desperately need to know the following . . .
(1) How can I set up the system from its present unworkable state?
(2) If the problems stem from the lack of an initial backup can this be rectified and if so how?
(3) How can I put my music (iTunes library and playlists) into the Nucleus, from the external hard drives attached to my iMac, to enable play?
(4) What app should I use to establish my iMac as a remote audio device without it including another Roon core (which may cause confusion)?

I’m really sorry Philip. Just a very quick answer here, I have to go to sleep. It appears to be a network issue. Please read through the following:

I am quite sure that others will be happy to help you tomorrow.
All the best!

You can’t. Music can only be copied to the internal Nucleus drive via the network. Plug the drive into a Mac on the system, and copy it using that Mac’s file manager. While attempting to do this, neither the Nucleus or the MAC should be on WiFi, especially if there is a lot of data.

Personally, I use external drives for RoonOS PCs since backups cannot be done to an internal drive. And external USB HD drive can both server the music and act as a location for Roon database backups.

Once the Nucleus is installed, you run the Roon installer and instead of choosing USE THIS PC, you are given the option to attach to an existing server, which will then install just the client.

If you are starting new, then no backup is needed. The backup is used if you want to restore a previous database to save edits, playlists, play history, etc. If you are starting fresh than there is no need to restore a backup. Also, there is no need to create a new backup, yet. I usually save that step until everything else is done and the music has been re-scanned, Identified and analyzed.

Just another user here, but here are some thing to consider.

(1) How can I set up the system from its present unworkable state?
If you are able to play music from Tidal, then the base system seems to be functioning. Teh skipping and lag may be due to wireless connections. I recommend adding wired connections to as much as you can. Also, sad to say but in my experience (with my sisters network) the airport extreme/express are subpar at best and may be a large part of your issues.

(2) If the problems stem from the lack of an initial backup can this be rectified and if so how?
The problem should not be from the lack of the back-up. Part of it may be from remnants of the old core, but not likely if you truly uninstalled it and started from scratch.

(3) How can I put my music (iTunes library and playlists) into the Nucleus, from the external hard drives attached to my iMac, to enable play?
Like @Rugby stated it would be best to move the USB drive to the iMac and the copy the music over to the Nucleus over the network. A wired network connection would be best for this.
See this KB for info on this one:

Itunes is a challenge some times and it depends on what kind of content you are trying to move. So the solution to this will vary.

(4) What app should I use to establish my iMac as a remote audio device without it including another Roon core (which may cause confusion)?
As @Rugby stated, install the Roon software on your iMac and during the initial start-up select the Nucleus as the core see this KB for info:

If you run into issues, thing to check would be:
“Settings/General” to see what core you are connected to. You can disconnect and/or logout from this page and then look for the new core.

“Settings/Storage” should show you the internal storage location on the Nucleus if it is formata nd ready to be loaded (mine is ROCK but shows the same info the internal drive I installed).

“settings/Library” you can go here to give the Nucleus more cores for anaysis to speed the initial scanning.

Hopefully this helps. Let us know if there are nay other questions or issues.

Many thanks to you and all the others for your kind suggestions.
I’ve taken the point about my network being in a poor state and an updated router should arrive in a couple of days which I hope will improve things. I might also then be able to get rid of my Apple signal extenders and get the whole system overhauled.
This, however, will only solve half my problems. More through luck than judgement I managed to download my iTunes files (albums and tracks) onto the internal SSD within the nucleus. Unfortunately, none of my playlists downloaded at the same time (even though they downloaded with the music when I initially used the Roon core on my iMac, before I got the nucleus). If anyone can help me get my playlists back it would be most appreciated.
I have backup copies of the iTunes folder on a number of different external hard drives connected to my iMac. If it’s not possible to get the playlists back, should I try removing the downloaded music (though I don’t know how) and attempt the process again from a different drive? Would this be madness?
Also, although i’ve added my iPad as a remote audio device, it isn’t showing as an option to allow me to choose it, so I’m unable to listen through the iPad. What can I do to correct this?
I think my old and befuddled brain must finally be going gaga!

Hi Philip,

Have you reviewed the two FAQs on iTunes and playlists?

and/or

I now have a new up-to-date router and it’s much faster. In line with earlier advice, I have also removed three Apple extenders (Express and Extreme) without any problems. It seems that the previous issues with the old inadequate network have been resolved.

The problem now is that the new router has its own password which, I’m told, cannot be changed. The Nucleus doesn’t recognise this new password and is therefore unusable at the moment. In order to play anything I have had to install a new Roon (with core) and Tidal on my iMac. I’ve also managed to download my music and playlists.

Everything is now sounding fine with no stuttering or skipping tracks. However, for some reason, I now have three copies of almost all my albums and their contents and I don’t know what to do about this.

I would really appreciate some help with the following questions ………

1. How can I make the Nucleus recognise the new network password without having to attach a monitor or keyboard?
  2. How do I remove the duplicate albums and tracks?

I’m beginning to think that buying the Nucleus was a very expensive mistake!

1. How can I make the Nucleus recognise the new network password without having to attach a monitor or keyboard?
    The only password I can think of would be for a wireless network connection (which is not advisable for core connection to the network, wireless should only be used for remotes to control Roon and not for devices that will be serving up the music files, I.e. the core). To change the wireless network password you would go to the WebUi for the nucleus. see here:
  1. How do I remove the duplicate albums and tracks?
    I would first check in settings/storage to make sure you only have one “watched” folder enabled.
    Also, check settings/general and see if “show hidden tracks and albums” is set yo yes or no.
    And finally, If you know you only have one album and not three accessible you can try settings/Library “clean up Library” and see if that helps.

The nucleus does not have wireless as an option.

Could it be that the OP is confusing a router password with a static IP address assigned in the old router?
That would make sense.

In this case, @Philip_Playfer I’m afraid that it won’t work without a keyboard and monitor.

Unless you still have the old router available?
Then you could just reconnect the Nucleus and switch back to DHCP from Static IP via the web interface.
After that, the Nucleus can easily be connected to any new router.

Let us know how it goes!

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.