Improving Japanese Translations (日本語翻訳について)

This is a report of Japanese translation unique issue.
I found a truncation on the Japanese translated screen. See below the red-marked portion has been truncated.

This is because the Japanese text does not use a space to divide words. So the system could not know the location of the word wrap. I discussed with Mike and Danny about this issue and I was suggested to use “invisible-marker” for intentional line-break location.

Note: we cannot use CR-LF character in the translation because it may cause unexpected result in multi-platform software like Roon.

Danny has also added a nice feature to see the “invisible-space” on the translation windows by showing “␣”. So you can easily understand there is the intentional line-break marker. It looks like below.

I will update and report the result on the next build.
There are many other similar issues (ex Track editor dialog). Please update the translation with this in mind.

5 Likes

If you want to type this character, you can copy it from text at the top of the translation page.

@Yoshihiro_Sasaki, How is it going?

I see others helping… Is the quality improving?

I found the latest version(V1.5 build354) and I applied that.
However the truncation issue has not fixed. Also other improved JP texts are not revised.
Have you used the latest JP resource for the latest build?

Hey @Yoshihiro_Sasaki@danny and I took a look at this today, and it seems like there may be some confusion here, since a number of the strings that included the “invisible space” were actually voted down by other translators :frowning:

So, we fixed some of the votes, and the next release should include your strings.

I also pulled a list of everyone who has translated or voted for Japanese translations. @Japanese_Translators – please see above and let us know if you have any questions about how to use the “invisible-space” when translating Japanese.

Thanks all!

I’m sorry.
I did not know about “invisible-space”, so I usually translated it.
to correct.

No need to apologise, we really appreciate all the effort!

The important thing is that everyone understands how the “invisible space” is used, and also how important it is to vote for good translations.

I confirmed the Zero-Width space works correctly in the latest build.

Can I ask general questions about Japanese here?
Thanks for creating Common Words lists.

“Audio Device” is assigned to “オーディオ機器”, “Networked Device” is assigned to “ネットワークデバイス”, and “Device” is assigned to “デバイス”.
I want to unify "Device "to "機器 "or “デバイス”.
Currently, there are 83 items that include “Folder”. In Japanese, I think “フォルダ” is more appropriate than “フォルダー”.

If you don’t mind, why don’t you make more detailed guidelines together?

For example, with or without spaces before and after words in the alphabet. Use half-width characters + spaces or full-width characters for symbols. etc.

To all Japanese translators.
I started to fill in Language Notes at my own discretion. Let me hear what you think.

https://translations.roonlabs.net/lang/japanese/

Reference links: (It contains page for specific OS, but I think it will be helpful.)

@mike

Since reading this topic, I have been using “invisible space” when translating. However, it has been truncated for the most part.
Has Roon stopped supporting “invisible space” anymore?

1 Like

I have to agree with @currycooqoo.
An example that has nothing to do with the Japanese language, but I’ll post it here anyway:
https://translations.roonlabs.net/lang/german/660ae5dd77ebb27f7b2000d4c265dfd5

Edit:

The result is:
Screenshot_20210710_085731

1 Like

I used fullwidth parentheses in Japanese.

parentheses

Halfwidth → “()”
fullwidth → “()”

Japanese
https://translations.roonlabs.net/lang/japanese/660ae5dd77ebb27f7b2000d4c265dfd5

Also, in Japanese, the date is generally written as “Year+Month+Day”. There is no space between them. I would like to write it as “1972年3月19日”.

Also, in Japanese, there is no space between hours, minutes, and seconds. I want to omit them.

ex: 83時間20分

1 Like

Thank you for pointing this out.
The logic behind it is not quite clear to me, but I will try it.

1 Like

English

aged

In English, there seems to be a normal space between “1972” and “(”. I felt strange why the space was omitted in German.

1 Like

I do not understand this either. I have entered a space, but it is not accepted or displayed after saving.

Another possibility would be to try to enter a space after the year. This is of course a rather “unclean” solution.

I just changed Roon to different languages and there is mostly the same problem with the missing space. So it’s rather a bug, which we as far as I can remember already discussed or reported somewhere here in the forum.

I will try your suggestion with the brackets and see how it behaves after the next update.
Thanks again for your hint.

1 Like

I’m checking with the team but I’m not aware of a change here.

Thanks for checking @currycooqoo and @florib – will confirm what’s going on.

2 Likes