In-app Advertising in a Paid Product is Unwelcome and Inappropriate

While I am not going to get indignant about this, I will add my voice to the chorus of nay votes for this kind of thing. Roon is supposed to be a premium service and as such I shouldn’t have to see in app marketing. Please just send us an email guys.

4 Likes

Stinks of desperation.

3 Likes

I really must agree, just look what greeted me this morning when I started up the forum browser:

Mouse

This is getting out of control, we already subscribe to Disney+… :rofl:

9 Likes

I agree. It’s okay, imho, to send us an email instead, but no advertising in the app - EVER!

4 Likes

It should be done by email, not pop ups in the app.

3 Likes

My goodness, the outrage! Reading these responses you’d think Roon was forcing us to see pictures of puppies being fed to sharks.

I’m constantly amazed by the trivial things people get apoplectic about.

15 Likes

It’s not trivial Chris, people are paying for this. As said above, ad supported apps are free, premium app = no ads. It crosses a line.

6 Likes

We know @danny has seen these comments (he’s merged threads), the question is whether he cares… as the complainers probably represent .01% of Roons user base?

2 Likes

We are bombarded by advertisements every day. We often become inured to it, but when you pause to see the sheer volume of exposure, it’s stunning (here in the U.S.)

Like some others here, I try my best to avoid ads – no television in the house, ad blockers, sticking my fingers in my ears and yelling, “Lah-lah-lah…”, etc. – but it’s unavoidable. I live in an area where billboards line the local highway. It used to be that they just sat there and I could ignore them; now they blink and flash and are backlighted. When I check out groceries, they give me a coupon for a competing product that, had I wanted it, I would have bought in the first place. It’s everywhere.

Here in this forum, we have a single opportunity to communicate with the Roon developers to let them know our opinion. There is no other way. For myself, I am not overreacting, but stating my preference.

No more ads, please.

21 Likes

I guess if it were an ad for vodka or pickup trucks, yeah, I’d say it’s crossing a line and I might be up in arms myself.

But it’s an offer for a discounted Roon nucleus, which seems like it might actually appeal to a fair number of users. Given the number of core/server-related issues we see people having on this forum, and how a nucleus might solve those issues, I’m totally ok with it. I’ve considered upgrading from my Mac Mini to a nucleus, as it happens.

Does the alert keep coming back even after you dismiss it? (For me it does not.)

8 Likes

If I were you, I would take a serious investigation on this forum to find out if the Nucleus really is the solution to all ends.
Maybe just my imagination, but I believe there are many topics aound issues with Nucleus in different areas.
Check and only then take a validated personal decision.
Dirk

5 Likes

oh, totally. not sold/convinced by any stretch, and I’m not rushing to buy a nucleus. My 2012 Mini seems to do the business just fine.

I guess my point was to say that the ad/offer seems very relevant to users, and I don’t think of it as an evil or amoral intrusion into my delicate life.

3 Likes

They have our email address.
Send email adverts.
With an option to opt out.

2 Likes

I agree, any other types of ads or other vendor would be an appropriate but I pay for Roon because I like it. Therefore I am very interested to know if any new product or offer comes up from these guys. Especially with the very narrow range of product this company offers, I do not expect to get a promo every day. That would be a different story of course.

Well jack has just announced a product that combines Tidal, Cash App and Seller which will present huge opportunities to hustle product and Bitcoin, so maybe we should count our blessings. Out of interest, how much of the Apple Music or Tidal or Qobuz app recommendations are paid for marketing? Will Roons “ Recommended for you” go the same way?

Good point, I hadn’t thought about that.

1 Like

I’m not interested in a Nucleus either, but it is a product exclusively designed and offered for use with Roon services. I’m with you that it’s a trivial inconvenience. Click off the ad and enjoy the music.

I don’t get the outrage.

7 Likes

While I can understand both sides to this, I’ve been relying on Roon to help me escape from my hectic days and find peace in an unruly and Corporate atmosphere surrounded by nonstop adverts. The last thing I want is the service I’m paying for to help take me to a peaceful place start advertising things just like everyone else.

7 Likes

Just another thing.
What would you guys think about a paid premium support from Roon ?

And of cause there should be a setting where Roon promotions can be switched off.

Watching this thread develop, it makes me seriously wonder,

How many of the “complainers” are actually paid Roon subscribers?

Those who have funds invested should want Roon to financially succeed, and product advertising is a key component of that.

3 Likes