In-app Advertising in a Paid Product is Unwelcome and Inappropriate

I purchased a ‘Lifetime Subscription’, therefore, I should be on a ‘DO NOT DISTURB’ list!

Everyone wants to charge you extra for ‘advertisement free services’. They have my email address to send me their ads.

I paid my fee, I don’t want this popping up on my remotes to interfere with my Roon pleasures, please leave me [moderated] alone!

4 Likes

BINGO!!! You hit the nail on the head Matthew. Roon is my escape to regain sanity in my life every day and now they have shoehorned their advertisements into my escape and it is very wrong!

1 Like

Isn’t everyone getting their panties up in a bunch over nothing here? After all, Roon has only brought your attention to the fact that if you buy a brand new Nucleus/Nucleus + by 15th August, you get a free installed 1 TB hard drive. It’s not exactly advertising in the real sense, is it? They’re providing a special offer within the Roon ecosystem. It’s not like they’re advertising some bogus get rich quick scheme, or pen15 enlargement pills. Have a little perspective. If you don’t want it, click the “X” in the corner and you won’t see it again. Would the reaction have been different if they were offering a 15% reduction for early renewal of your annual subscription? Might have upset a few of the “lifers”, but would the annual subscibers be screaming at the clouds over it? I think not.

There are things in this world worth getting angry over - racism, homophobia, people trafficking, animal cruelty, deforestation, habitat destruction, climate change, plastics littering our oceans. If only some of you cared more about and vented your spleens over the big ssues than some one-off measly little offer/“advert”!

2021 is very much the year of anger.

Go ahead, flag my post. I dare you…

29 Likes

Hoping to snag a shiny new Nucleus with a 1 TB drive for my birthday, I showed your post to my wife.

I don’t suppose you know if those pills are chewable?

4 Likes

Big things have small beginigs…

An ad is ad…so yes, it is advertising in a real sense.

I don’t want to see ads creeping into a Roon app I use to control Roon. Even if they are ads from Roon itself. Send an email and offer a way to not get emails that are ads.

You saying I should “have a little perspective” is not helpful. What you are really saying is “see it my way”. Well, I don’t see it your way. If the ad does not bother you, feel free to to state that. But don’t tell me that I should feel about it the way you do.

7 Likes

I totally agree with this … I chose to opt in to Roon’s marketing emails and I’m quite happy with that.

However, in app advertising for a paid application is in my opinion crossing the line … Roon should reconsider this move.

12 Likes

Yes very unwelcome and very inappropriate. Please stop it.

1 Like

I’m not angry about this but do feel that Roon misjudged the appetite of its users for this form of advertising.

4 Likes

I’m less offended by the ad than I am insulted by the fact that Roon thinks 1TB is supposed to move the needle. It’s 2021, guys. You can get a 4TB spinning HDD for under a hundred bucks.

A 1TB SSD might have gotten some attention.

As you were.

2 Likes

Special offers are often just a way to get rid of old stock. :wink:

5 Likes

I’m not saying see it my way, I’m saying be proportionate in your response - there are far more numerous really serious things we should be getting upset about in the world at present. One little “advert” from Roon is small fry in comparison…

4 Likes

I’m not saying everyone is angry, but some people are really hot under the collar about this. Are people really going to quit using Roon over an advert?

3 Likes

The drama here is fascinating. Every time I click on the hamburger menu, I see “Roon” at the top, I try not to get too worked up over this blatant commercialization

1 Like

No matter how important your worries are the world will always present itself with much bigger problems. One (of many others) sane things one can do is to keep it cool, keep it small, keep it real, keep it now. And now I want to click the play, not the close button…

2 Likes

Y’all are missing the real comedy. They are offering a $43 hard drive for “free” if you buy their $500 Nuc for $2500. What a deal!

9 Likes

I am being proportionate in my response. Everything has a beginning…and this is the beginning of ads in the Roon control apps. The first ad may seem innocuous but it could lead to much worse. This needs to be nipped in the bud. Paid subscribers need to stop this now BEFORE it gets less innocuous.

I can multitask and show concern about this issue and still get upset about other things in the world.

11 Likes

Agreed. Who knows where this could go.

2 Likes

I am located in Australia and the advertisement does not appear here. Exclusive Roon related offer ads would not bother me.

2 Likes