In-app Advertising in a Paid Product is Unwelcome and Inappropriate

It’s advertising.
Even if it’s from the app developer its advertising.
Should be able to opt-out of advertising. You can opt-out of their e-mail list. This just kind of feels like a backdoor to that opt-out.

Still, if I had the option, I’d leave the promotions on just like I keep subscribed to the e-mails. I like to know what Roon is doing and sometimes I forward this stuff on to my very tiny audiophile group.

But an ad is an ad and we should not be forced to see such things if we do not want to. App developers should not take advantage of such backdoors in their notification systems. Thank you. Enjoy your weekend.

4 Likes

Aren’t all Roon users “paying subscribers”?
If so, isn’t it up to all who care to “do something about it”?

I thought that’s what this thread is doing.

I haven’t seen it yet, here in Australia.
Wouldn’t appreciate it if I did but wouldn’t cancel my monthly subscription unless it reached saturation levels.

As for that link to “more bass in Roon” - noooooooo, I already have enough thank you.

It is in Roon’s genes to offer, to solicit, since they constantly offer you other music to listen to.
Why would you want them not to advertise?
If you don’t want that, I have a solution. Do like me, stop Roon.

I’m in the UK - If I get this I’m out …

I hope for ad pop ups with esoteric internet switches promising better bass for Roon.

2 Likes

I would welcome real cool offers, like a Nucleus with a free 4tb SSD.
But a one tb HD is kind of crapy.

1 Like

Not sure how you get these but terms and conditions which I’m sure you all read before committing to a contract.

https://community.roonlabs.com/tos

10. Advertisements

Roon Labs reserves the right to display advertisements on your content unless you have purchased an Ad-free Upgrade or a Services account.

1 Like

Hopefully never see such a frustrating ad again. I paid for an expensive product - not a commercial free media platform. So far I regularly recommended ROON as the best audio player for Hifi enthusiasts. I will stop for a while. As others said already: Roon Labs LLC place your ads in your newsletter - easy for everyone to accept this - or stop such kind of subscription.

You mean I didn’t purchase an ad-free upgrade? How do I get one? It’s not listed…

4 Likes

Aren’t we all paying customers?

I’m against ads also. The subscription fee itself is a major stretch for many in the first place, and then to be confronted with ads on top of it. NO!

The vast majority of Roon users are, but there are also trial users and a small number of complementary licences for dealers and developers.

1 Like

I wonder what the difference is?

You pay for PayTV and all the channels show adds.
You pay for online streaming eg NHL game centre, all the games have add breaks.
You pay for online newspapers which all show adds.

Most things show adds, I’m not sure I understand the uproar, it was a single targeted piece of information that may have been of interest to users, its not a whole loads of adds based on your internet site usage generated by trackers, now that would make me complain.

2 Likes

I really am glad that my biggest worry today is an ad on my Roon app…

11 Likes

I hope the advertising that appeared this week is a one off and will never happen again. I don’t pay for premium software to have advertisments appear - even for Roon’s own products.

3 Likes

Imagine spending 700$ and still getting ads, lol

2 Likes

C’mon, it’s not the end of the world. It took one click to make it disappear. Considering it takes numerous clicks to get anywhere or do anything in Roon (often when one click would/should suffice), what’s one more? That said I would hope they limit it to the occasional once a year/season etc sale.

3 Likes

If they advertised network experts (proper ones) I reckon three quarter of roons complaints could be solved.

3 Likes

None of these use your own, selfhosted content. That’s the difference: I don’t want a media player to show ads on the content I host on my own hardware.

4 Likes

Because of this:

You get this:

Go figure!

2 Likes