Incompatibility with HidizS s8 DAC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC ROCK [Roon 1.7 (Build 511)

Ethernet attached

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Raspberry Pi 4B running Ropieee bridge… HIDIZS S8 DAC attached via USB. RCA output from DAC runs into RCA auxilliary on KEF LS50W

Description Of Issue

Until now I have been running the Pi/Ropieee with a Khadas Toneboard and all works fine. I am now trying to use the HIDIZS S8 instead of the toneboard. I can enable the combination in ROON audio settings and it displays as a SONATA DAC but not cannot play music. The S8 works fine with a Sonore Ultrarendu endpoint, so I suspect it may be a ROPIEEE issue.I’ve tried all the obvious fixes, regarding connection and volume levels. I though I would send you the logs just to see if can spot an obvious issue on the ROON side.

Thanks
Graham Miles
Ontario, Canada

Hi @Graham_Miles1,

To clarify, the DAC is seen and enabled, but you’re unable to play to it? What happens when you try to play with this Zone selected? Do you receive any error messages?

Can you share a screenshot of Device Setup for this Zone?

Hi Dylan. Tried to S8/Ropieee combination again this morning and couldn’t get any recognition at all from ROON this morning. Perplexing since It was recognized yesterday but didnt produce sound. Tried rebooting everything, ROCK, router,ropiee, but no joy. I disconnected the S8 and reattached the Khadas to Ropieee and it connected to ROON immediately. The S8 also worked fine with the Ultrarendu this morning. Would the system logs help?

Hi @Graham_Miles1,

Is the behavior the same if you connect the HIDIZS directly to your Core via USB instead of having the Ropieee bridge in between them?

Works fine with a roon configured ultrarendu

@Graham_Miles1 - So it’s just the Ropieee having issues with this DAC? If you use another Roon Bridge software such as DietPi, does that have the same behavior?

Can’t get it recognized on dietpi, or volumio, so suspect there may be an incompatibility with the raspberry-pi and the Hidiz s8. No problem with Roon. I’ve sent tham a note asking for advice.

1 Like

Thanks for the update @Graham_Miles1, yes it is best to receive comparability confirmation from Hidiz team that this device is compatible with the Pi.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.