Incomplete Music Library Import and Categorization Issues (ref#71V6NE)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

I'm having trouble adding music to my library

I am a new customer and have installed Roon ROCK on an Intel NUC. I've been adding my music to a 4TB drive on the NUC but not all albums are showing up. For example, in the internal storage folder I created a folder called "Chill Out" and have added my entire Cafe Del Mar collection (110 Albums). Each album is within its own named folder. Roon imports only 23 Albums from the Chill Out folder, even through "force import". If I add each individual Album folder to the monitored folders list, the Album shows up but its not getting linked to the "Cafe Del Mar" main page or any of the contributing artists' pages. It seems that Roon is failing to see all the subfolders within the "Chill Out" main folder.

What file format is used for the missing albums? Not all file formats are supported by Roon. For more details, see the FAQ at:

Have you installed the ffmpeg codecs on the ROCK server? (You will see a ‘missing codecs’ warning on the Rock Web Administration Page if you have not).

If the codecs are missing see the help centre artical at:

1 Like

Roon doesn’t care about the folders, it goes by file tags. So maybe the albums are there in Roon but not where you expect

1 Like

I thought the same so I searched a few random individual tracks from each missing Album. No dice. They are definitely not there.

Thank you - I know the basics, everything is installed OK.

All Albums I am importing are in FLAC. All ripped one after the other and named the same way. No additional files, periods or weird characters in the folders that would throw Roon off (especially given Roon adds the Album provided I select the individual folder in the Storage menu. Bottom line is that Roon is importing only 20% of the Albums.

This is just one genre I’ve tried to import. I hate to think how much it has missed from my bigger Jazz library.

Roon :

![Screenshot 2024-03-23 162730|458x500](upload://k7mNZDoEj3pm4McNeIPOrPHr1g8.jpeg)

Actual Albums in Storage folder:

What do you see if you use ‘focus’ in album view to (sorry) focus on just that storage location?

1 Like

Thank you, this is better…

If I “Focus” on that storage folder, Chill Out, it lists 112 Albums in parenthesis, which is probably right (I can see in Windows Explorer there are 113 items but one is likely to be a duplication and skipped by Roon)…

Roon folder art shows 112 images but some are duplication and when I dig deeper I see that Roon has merged two separate albums together (1991 ‘Volume Uno’ and 2010’s ‘Volume Uno y Dos’). Maybe I am an edge case for metadata!

Still, when I force to reclassify as 1991 Volume Uno, Roon keeps the additional tracks from the 2010 album so showing a total of 25 tracks, instead of the 13 tracks on the album. Any idea if this is resolvable?.

You can split an album apart if Roon has merged something incorrectly. Go to the album, 3 dot menu, click Edit, Click Fix Track Grouping.

1 Like

Thank you - I think my issue is partially solved. The 2010 version was a 2 CD reissue of Volume Uno (the original was only 1 CD). Roon has and included just the 2010 version. I guess it saw the original 1991 album as a duplication and ignored it in favour of the 2 CD version.

Still not sure why the main “Cafe Del Mar” artist page lists only 23 albums though.

I’m not clear which page you are looking at…

From the home page, how are you getting to the ‘23’ page?

(My first thought is that this is a metadata issue, but it might be that the way you are using ‘search’ is just not doing what you think it’s doing… )

Edit - also, if you re identify an album, Roon may offer several different release versions, one of which may better match your rip,

Because Cafe del Mar is not an actual album artist. While some of the affected albums are listed under a hypothetical Cafe del Mar artist, others are listed under certain individual artists or Various Artists, which is probably the correct canonical classification for most of these albums. All of this is present in your Roon screenshot.

AJ

True, but the problem I have is even if I make a generic search for “Cafe Del Mar” (which should capture album title/series name) I only see the 23 items shown above.

Only the focus view allows me to see all items.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.